Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2019, 06:47 PM

9,267 posts, read 5,121,245 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
How will we know until we try it?
Well that's not going to happen.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2019, 06:53 PM

27,307 posts, read 16,226,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
When and where was it tried? How did it fail?
Assault weapons ban. Utter and complete failure.

Old 09-02-2019, 07:11 PM

19,722 posts, read 10,128,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-310 View Post
Assault weapons ban. Utter and complete failure.
And another 22,000 gun laws.

Old 09-02-2019, 07:35 PM

20,955 posts, read 8,678,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boneyard1962 View Post
What you say isn't wrong.

I live in a Buddhist majority country. By majority it is about 90% of the native population. My friend is a psychologist, also an ex-pat like I am. He is also profoundly liberal although he claims that he is only progressive...

He never misses an opportunity to make fun of Buddhists, their beliefs or their ceremonies. He hates all religions . His wife like mine is a devout Buddhist. They do their weekend Temple runs. I normally stay home, but my friend always goes. He then comes back and mocks the entire event.

I asked him why he married a devout Buddhist if he has such a problem with it?
Very few Buddhists in the world practice true Buddhism - most are very dogmatic, which may be what your friend is poking fun at.

Real Buddhism, like most religions, was lost to various cultures and history. To some extent the Chinese and Japanese practice it mixed in with other traditions (that is, the basic responsibilities, honor, honesty, thinking, less self-importance, etc.)....

But real actual "Buddha" buddhism has no dogma at all and is simply sitting for many hours a day like Buddha did. It's a science really...and it works.

All the other stuff is fluff and that may be what your friend is mocking.

Old 09-02-2019, 07:41 PM

20,955 posts, read 8,678,698 times
Quote:
God has nothing to do with any of it.

It could be said that in the majority of cases of actual mass shooters. Meaning the kind that plotted and planned their crimes, not the drunk at the party and started shooting type.

Most of these mass shooters that planned their event then carried it out, had enablers.
People who knew that something was wrong but did nothing. That includes the damned shrinks. Parents who watched little Johnny exhibit all the warning signs and yet made excuses for him. Co-workers who were at some level afraid of Johnny, but didn't say anything.

It really isn't a lot different than inner-city mentality that it's better to live with thugs than cooperate with the police. The none of my business mentality..... Yeah the none of my business types sure have a lot to say after the fact.
No solution in that. There are literally millions of "little johnies" - who is going to create the laws and rules to follow those millions?

As we used to say "little green men are not going to come down and clean up the planet for you"...and either are the social services and docs and LE.

But if you don't have plastic water bottles then there will be many less of them........same with guns. The only solution possible is better regs...serious regs like DL and/or car registrations, etc. and also various reasonable limits.

It's hard to imagine the SCOTUS saying that the Right for Militia to Bear Arms means Joe Blow can stow away 50 arms and 10,000 rounds. Those are very different things. If you read the Muster instructions from back when, the Militia (which WAS the military) had to show up either with a certain class of firearm or they were issued one (from Springfield Arsenal). ONE. Not 30. And these were KNOWN MEN, members in good standing of the community and militia. The weapons were serialized and they knew who had what.

Contrast that with what people say it means today.

Old 09-02-2019, 07:55 PM

38,496 posts, read 25,820,712 times
Quote:
God has nothing to do with any of it.

It could be said that in the majority of cases of actual mass shooters. Meaning the kind that plotted and planned their crimes, not the drunk at the party and started shooting type.

Most of these mass shooters that planned their event then carried it out, had enablers.
People who knew that something was wrong but did nothing. That includes the damned shrinks. Parents who watched little Johnny exhibit all the warning signs and yet made excuses for him. Co-workers who were at some level afraid of Johnny, but didn't say anything.

It really isn't a lot different than inner-city mentality that it's better to live with thugs than cooperate with the police. The none of my business mentality..... Yeah the none of my business types sure have a lot to say after the fact.
If God has nothing to do with this, why does congress always put a band-aide on the problem by offering thoughts and prayers?

Old 09-02-2019, 08:08 PM

38,496 posts, read 25,820,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-310 View Post
You mean like liberals and gun control?
I was thinking of thought & prayers and more guns.

Old 09-02-2019, 08:08 PM

33,544 posts, read 37,145,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stburr91 View Post
You do know that everything the democrats are proposing equally does nothing.

I mean, you do know that don't you?
I'm not a democrat...Follow the example that Australia set years ago.

In 1996 Martin Bryant killed 35 people with his AR-15 and wounded 18 others.

Within just weeks of that tragedy, elected officials in each of Australia’s six states and two mainland territories—pressed forward by police chiefs across the continent and by the then-newly elected prime minister—banned semi-automatic and other military-style weapons across the country. The federal government of Australia prohibited their import, and lawmakers introduced a generous nationwide gun buyback program, As for mass killings, there were no more. Not one in the past 22 years.

https://fortune.com/2018/02/20/austr...ntrol-success/

Old 09-02-2019, 08:10 PM

2,068 posts, read 999,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
I'm not a democrat...Follow the example that Australia set years ago.

In 1996 Martin Bryant killed 35 people with his AR-15 and wounded 18 others.

Within just weeks of that tragedy, elected officials in each of Australia’s six states and two mainland territories—pressed forward by police chiefs across the continent and by the then-newly elected prime minister—banned semi-automatic and other military-style weapons across the country. The federal government of Australia prohibited their import, and lawmakers introduced a generous nationwide gun buyback program, As for mass killings, there were no more. Not one in the past 22 years.

https://fortune.com/2018/02/20/austr...ntrol-success/

Australia does not have a Second Amendment.

Old 09-02-2019, 08:14 PM

18,461 posts, read 7,092,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
What a maroon....Prayers do nothing.

https://www.wagmtv.com/content/news/...559169201.html

Trying to prevent mass shootings by banning certain guns is like trying to prevent drunk driving by banning certain cars

Yes, it's that stupid.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies