Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2019, 12:30 PM

13,806 posts, read 9,713,823 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by snebarekim View Post
Yes, I practice that. Stay out of those areas if not necessary..

I lived just off of Columbus and E. Franklin in south Mpls for a while. Also just of Broadway near the river in near north. That kind of stuff happened there also. Low rent in those areas I could afford back then. Low rent, high crime areas is typically when one needs protection more, not less.

It was a long time ago, and they seemed serious enough. I have been mugged with knives since then when I was unarmed, also in nice areas (not in the U.S.). Been cut, and lost my stuff.

I know a firearm doesnt make me smarter, tougher or stronger. It only gives me leverage if the situation is right.

There is a YouTube series that covers real life situations regarding self defense, situational awareness, walking away vice standing your ground, etc... Reccomended.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCsE...rvF2ImeNWh84mw

Hind sight is always 20/20. Lessons learned. I was much younger then, Again, it happened in a nice, low crime area.

Sometimes you can do everything right.....and things still go wrong. No plan is full proof....armed or not. I know that having a gun can really make a difference in certain situations......but can get you killed or result in a person killing another unnecessarily. I think they offer you more protection in your home than on the streets.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2019, 12:38 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,624,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
Good points. There are, however, many instances in which citizens HAVE successfully defended themselves with handguns.

The best thing to do is to avoid areas in which there is a higher likelihood of being assaulted/mugged. If you are going into an area known for violence, one has to wonder about your judgement.

My oldest son was robbed at gunpoint at a Walgreens. He has a concealed carry, but it did him little good when the hood rat put a gun to the back of his head. He calmly told the rat where his wallet was and proceeded to instruct the cashier to stop screaming. He reached over the counter, opened the register, then gave the contents to the two robbers- they left without shooting. He was wearing a rolex (worth more than the loot they took) and they didn't even bother. They did pinch his gun- I told him he was lucky they didn't use it on him.

When the cops questioned him (looking at the video) they were surprised how calm he was under the circumstances. He responded that he had a lot of practice- they didn't grow up with his dad (me). I thought that was hilarious (and no- I am not an abusive father, just a disciplinarian).
Yeah, like in River North or on Michigan Avenue in Chicago.

Old 09-18-2019, 01:07 PM

13,806 posts, read 9,713,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
Yeah, like in River North or on Michigan Avenue in Chicago.

Oh stop playing the Devils advocate. Yeah...things can happen anywhere but the probabilities are not the same everywhere.

Old 09-18-2019, 01:13 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,624,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indentured Servant View Post
Oh stop playing the Devils advocate. Yeah...things can happen anywhere but the probabilities are not the same everywhere.
According to the cops I've talked to, the odds of being attacked or robbed on Michigan Avenue are the highest they've ever been.

Stop comparing crime in the better parts of the city with the worst parts as though that makes it more palatable.

Old 09-18-2019, 02:38 PM

2,919 posts, read 3,189,346 times
I once lived in Troy NY. Used to be a quaint artsy Little River Town. And very safe. Then over the course of x amount of years...a lot of inner city blacks from downstate started moving into the Albany Troy Schenectady area. All those three small cities became very dangerous crime-riddled places there after. The thuggish inner-city black types basically took over the area. My friends ran a couple cigarettes stores in downtown Troy. I used to hang out inside of the store with them all the time. And the majority of the clientele were black thuggish street dealers. One night two opposing Street dealers who didn't get along... Wound up in our store at the same time... One of them proceeded to whip out a box cutter... And he slit the kids head wide open from the top of the head to the neck. The police came in after the incident...I was helping my friends clean up the blood for about an hour. My friends always have problems with the younger blacks in his stores. And soon Troy New York became a hell hole. Many white kids started emulating the thuggish blacks. Tons of rural white girls started hanging out with the thuggish blacks street dealers. all you would see would be a young white girl pushing a baby carriage with a black street dealer... Or a thug type. Pretty soon the majority of the white girls around Troy all had interracial babies. Many had lots. it's like they could not stand up to the aggressive nature of the black thugs... And wound up succumbing to them having lots of their babies. That was when I got the hell out of Troy forever.

Old 09-18-2019, 02:44 PM

39,875 posts, read 26,526,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackjackpershing View Post
13/90
3-7-77

Old 09-18-2019, 02:46 PM

39,875 posts, read 26,526,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indentured Servant View Post
Downtown Minneapolis has a crime problem. Over the summer there seems to be a shooting every or every other weekend downtown. Most of those victims are African Americans. Most of the shooters are African Americans. There are far more white people downtown than there are blacks. Hence, chances are there are going to be more white people to victimize than blacks. That having been said, white people are seen as "safer" targets. They tend to target people who are drunk, who are using cell phones, who are walking alone. You have to be street smart to avoid some of this.
What are the concealed carry laws like there?

Old 09-18-2019, 02:54 PM

50,327 posts, read 47,080,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
What are the concealed carry laws like there?
Shall issue

https://dps.mn.gov/divisions/bca/bca...pplication.pdf

Old 09-18-2019, 03:11 PM

2,313 posts, read 2,508,247 times
This is sad. But always pay attention to your surroundings. If your hanging out somewhere and you see a bunch of young black teens come around then its time to go. I'm black I would leave in heartbeat.

Old 09-18-2019, 03:12 PM

7,520 posts, read 2,812,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by folkguitarist555 View Post
Brutal beatings against whites from black mobs been occurring for awhile in MN....no hate crimes though, nor much media coverage at all. No protest marches...etc..liberals are silent

https://www.foxnews.com/us/minneapol...ideos-go-viral

https://defensemaven.io/bluelivesmat...EaJ88kUEJkd3g/

Downtown Minneapolis rocked by six violent "flash mob" attacks during last two months | City Pages

https://www.wnd.com/2016/07/muslim-r...ity-with-rape/

Even the Somalian refugees have been known to blow off some steam in MN from time to time

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bgdtdV8WZao
Animals pure and simple.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies