Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2019, 12:48 PM

3,749 posts, read 1,444,437 times

Advertisements

Hi folks. What are your thoughts on this new trend called cancel culture? The left who part of the woke dogma, and at times even the right cancels people put of society. At times facing excommunication from their peers, love ones community and employer. Also how do we navigate from cancel culture. Is thier a way for forgiveness and redemption. Will this cancel culture trend die out or burn itself out? Thoughts anyone?

https://www.thestranger.com/slog/201...-is-this-thing
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2019, 12:51 PM

17,273 posts, read 9,562,968 times
Huh?

Old 09-22-2019, 12:55 PM

36,853 posts, read 17,368,921 times
This culture isn't confined to Team Blue. Sure, their antics tend to be a bit more psychotic and entertaining than Team Red's stunts but make no mistake both sides want to police, via government policy or cultural norms, what individuals say and do.

Will it die out?

NO.

It has always been part of the game that both teams play. It's not new, OP. They are authoritarians. And to play such a role you must take on the mindset that only you know what is best for everyone in society.

It's the height of hubris IMO. I'd say I'm not fit to run my own life 90% of the time yet I'm going to tell you how to run yours?

Whoa.

But that's why I don't get along with the normies I suppose.

Old 09-22-2019, 12:58 PM

5,117 posts, read 2,163,576 times
I think cancel culture Is fair for all. I have essentially cancelled any products made by Gillette or Nike. The blade cuts both ways.

Old 09-22-2019, 01:08 PM

6,835 posts, read 2,401,741 times
I don't know to think of it overall. Some people's past misdeed might deserve to be exposed. However, you have to make sure that they actually did it! Person A being accused of sexually assaulting Person B years ago but is later proven that the sex was between 2 consenting adults or that Person B made it up is not something that Person C should go around exploiting.

Old 09-22-2019, 01:10 PM

20,126 posts, read 16,163,816 times
Quote:
...”Cultural norms and values are constantly in flux, so you could be punished for a cultural belief you never reflected upon but just took for granted. In the recent past, it was gay marriage; in the near future it may be meat-eating.” He calls this trend “a recipe for alienation, loneliness, inauthenticity, and unfairness.”

Whatever you call it—public shaming, call-out culture, or cancelation—what’s happening now is in no way a new phenomenon. The Dixie Chicks were canceled during the Iraq War for simply saying they were ashamed of George W. Bush. The Hollywood blacklist is another obvious example of cancelation before the term existed.

But what is new is the scale of it all. This isn't just happening to public figures; it's happening everywhere that social media exists, and you no longer have to be powerful, or even notable, to get canceled. And sometimes the offense was committed when the guilty party was just a kid...
I think this is horrible. I am sick and tired of people on social media joining up to an anonymous mob and knee jerk demanding someone be fired without knowing both sides of the story. The number of times those “OMG! This awful human!” posts, tweets, instagrams, or whatever have turned out to be a lie, or an exaggeration at best, is quite frequent. I have know teachers who have lost jobs or still suffer from PTSD over these witch hunts.

Old 09-22-2019, 01:12 PM

19,573 posts, read 8,522,211 times
This is cultural Marxism, plain and simple - American Democrat left edition.

Old 09-22-2019, 01:15 PM

10,681 posts, read 6,117,157 times
Needs to be cancelled..

Old 09-22-2019, 01:18 PM

36,853 posts, read 17,368,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicano3000X View Post
Needs to be cancelled..
Via government edict!

Old 09-22-2019, 01:39 PM

52,283 posts, read 52,700,922 times
I don't believe in cancel culture per se, but I will vote with my wallet. I'll never shop at Wal-Mart again and Nike can go SCREW themselves.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies