Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is Trump's abandonment of the Kurds Betrayal or Smart?
Betrayal 123 63.73%
Smart 39 20.21%
Other 17 8.81%
Undecided 14 7.25%
Voters: 193. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2019, 01:40 PM

8,502 posts, read 3,341,588 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
Why are they there in the first place? 50-100 US soldiers aren't going to stop a Turkish army. All that happens with them being there is that they are sacrificed as pawns between different groups of Islamic murderers. Bring them home, as well as the rest of the US servicemen and women in the ME. Let them work out their own problems-or kill each other off. Whichever, it's not our responsibility, and for damn sure not worth American lives. Any more than the people of Afghanistan are. Our people should have been brought home 15 years ago, not left to sacrifice their lives.
That's not it. The Pentagon brokered an agreement for the Kurds to pull back from the border - and remove their defense installations . The 50-100 US troops along along with the Turks were then patrolling that zone. The idea was to assuage Turkey's concerns about PKK cross-border movement. Two weeks ago the Kurds removed the defense line (at least in places). Then Trump pulled the plug on the accompanying US guarantee to patrol the now open zone. And announced Turkish troops would be crossing the border.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
So we're supposed to let a foreign nation dictate American policy?
Under the Constitution, the President has wide powers to conduct foreign affairs. Last time around (a year ago), McConnell threatened to have the Senate pass a letter of censure if Trump did not back down. Trump did. Can't fault the Kurds for trying again.

Old 10-08-2019, 01:46 PM

29,825 posts, read 24,908,096 times
More proof that lefties don't care about the substance of our foreign policy (or any policy for that matter). They only care WHO created the policy, so they know whether they are supposed to support it or not. If Hillary were president, and she did the same thing, everyone knows lefties would be celebrating. Of course, she would be escalating out military involvement (and blunders) in the region, as she is a foreign policy hawk. Either way, lefties would accept whatever decision she made, simply because of who she is.

Old 10-08-2019, 02:06 PM

8,502 posts, read 3,341,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post
More proof that lefties don't care about the substance of our foreign policy (or any policy for that matter). They only care WHO created the policy, so they know whether they are supposed to support it or not. If Hillary were president, and she did the same thing, everyone knows lefties would be celebrating. Of course, she would be escalating out military involvement (and blunders) in the region, as she is a foreign policy hawk. Either way, lefties would accept whatever decision she made, simply because of who she is.
Not so fast. You're right that many in blind support don't delve deeply into the details of policies proposed by their 'team.' Not all have the time or inclination.

Mattis' resignation over Trump's proposed troop removal last year caught my attention. Not that Mattis' aims were necessarily spot-on. Clinton, for example, was too much of a foreign policy hawk (Ukraine - Syria).

This is one issue where you probably find 'lefties' and 'righties' and 'libertarians' split.

Old 10-08-2019, 03:46 PM

9,897 posts, read 3,429,738 times
Quote:
But al-Qaida and ISIS are in many more places today than they were when we intervened in the Middle East. Must we fight forever over there — to be secure over here? Why cannot Syria, Iraq, Iran, Turkey, Saudi Arabia and the Gulf States deal with ISIS and al-Qaida in their own backyard?
https://buchanan.org/blog/is-trump-a...HgffD46NGHZY-c

Old 10-08-2019, 04:03 PM

10,531 posts, read 6,165,986 times
Is Trump actually trying to get himself thrown out office at this point?

I mean he's made a lot of stupid decisions. I mean a lot.

But this one takes the cake.

Old 10-08-2019, 04:04 PM

9,897 posts, read 3,429,738 times
Remember just a few short years ago when the left was marching in the streets by the thousands in protest of war?

What the hell happened?

Old 10-08-2019, 04:10 PM

35,309 posts, read 52,305,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TreeBeard View Post
All you Trumpers have is this pathetic deflection.

I guess Trumpers will cheer Turkey after they slaughter the Kurds and release Isis killers. You will all say that this was part of Trump's brilliant strategy.
When ISIS becomes more powerful than they have in the past i'm sure trump and his lemmings will find some one to blame it on.

Old 10-08-2019, 04:14 PM

9,329 posts, read 4,142,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TreeBeard View Post
Trump has greenlighted Turkey to wipe out the Kurds in Northern Syria. Kurds have been our steadfast allies in the war against Isis.

Trump has no loyalty to anyone. He is the ultimate turncoat.

Only a fool trusts Donald Trump.

Of course, Trump does seems to have a special love for dictators like Erdogan.
It's terrible, both for Kurds and also for our reputation. But didn't Bush do essentially the same thing? Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe that Bush urged the Kurds to rise up against Saddam Hussein - but then failed to support them and hung them out to dry. I mean, hung them out to die.

Old 10-08-2019, 04:22 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,818,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarallel View Post
It's terrible, both for Kurds and also for our reputation. But didn't Bush do essentially the same thing? Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe that Bush urged the Kurds to rise up against Saddam Hussein - but then failed to support them and hung them out to dry. I mean, hung them out to die.
No, they perceived as such, but reality was the US had no intention of weakening Iraq as Iran was still viewed as the predominate threat in the region, and the US desired Iraq to still be able to be a counter to Iran. To have a Shiite and Kurd rebellion, both being friendly to Iran, topple Saddam was viewed as detrimental to US policy in the area.

The US also assisted Iraq in targeting Kurdish areas with chemical weapons when they rose up to join Iran during the Iran-Iraq War.

As for the current conflict, I am not understanding how anyone views we have some sort of cooperation with the Kurds for anything past the ISIS. If the Kurds viewed it that way, that is their fault for doing so.

Old 10-08-2019, 04:30 PM

2,385 posts, read 1,587,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
Both want the US out of the region. Once the US pulls out, Putin will stop Turkey and assert control over the entire region together with Iran. In fact, with Trump abandoning allies and embracing enemies, Putin will likely make a bold move against Turkey knowing that the US is not about to defend that country NATO or not. With the US and NATO exposed as a fraud, Putin will take back all of eastern Europe and rebuild the Soviet Empire.
Sure. After that is all done and Putin has rebuild the Soviet Empire he will take over the world.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies