Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2019, 07:11 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,816,302 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
My point was independent of ethnicity. In this country, there is no incentive to have children, they are only an 18 year liability financially speaking. That will lead to further decreasing of birth rates
The tax code is favorably disposed towards households with minor children.

Nearly 50% of all births are paid for by Medicaid. Many of these offspring will receive 18 years of welfare benefits. They will be educated by public schools and some will be beneficiaries of grants for college education.

It is not the fault of children who were born to bio parents who could not afford to provide for them.

The poorest countries without any form of welfare have the highest birth rates.
The wealthiest countries with the greatest welfare benefits have the lowest birth rates.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2019, 07:14 AM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,646,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
Having a child is the incentive to have a child.
People who want children dont need any other monetary or other benefit incentive to have kids.
Actually, these days, they do. Because kids are a huge financial liability these days

Old 10-11-2019, 07:21 AM

45,258 posts, read 26,510,497 times
Quote:
Actually, these days, they do. Because kids are a huge financial liability these days
Thank your congress creatures both local and national.
Education, health care, daycare, medicines, all made more expensive due to their interventions.

Your response; more govt interventions and the requisite higher taxes, i.e. poorer households.

Make sense huh?

Old 10-11-2019, 08:22 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,913,054 times
Quote:
Then one can claim disability, right? What physical or mental activity is one unable to do due to giving birth? Other than a few days recovery how doe childbirth limit your ability to work?
It is not considered a disability today under the ACA nor was it 35 years ago when I had my children. Pregnancy is protected from discrimination but is not considered a disability.
First of all, you are arguing against long-standing precedent. I don't get why you have such a problem with giving women six short weeks of disability. That is a common amount of time for recovery from surgery.

Secondly, such comments and your previous comment about why would it take six months of adjustment makes me wonder if you ever had a baby! It's a life-changing event!

Back to physical recovery, six weeks is considered the standard; eight weeks for a C-section.

What can't you do? Lifting for one thing. You're more vulnerable to infection. Many things.

Old 10-11-2019, 08:45 AM

An overview. https://www.marchofdimes.org/pregnan...t-6-weeks.aspx

Old 10-11-2019, 10:33 AM

More: https://www.cdc.gov/flu/highrisk/pregnant.htm
"Changes in the immune system, heart, and lungs during pregnancy make pregnant women (and women up to two weeks postpartum) more prone to severe illness from flu, including illness resulting in hospitalization."

https://www.stanfordchildrens.org/en...irth-90-P02693
"You may not get a solid 8 hours of sleep for several months."

https://www.babycenter.com/0_postpar...ons_1152331.bc
"Your recovering body may be vulnerable to certain infections after you have a baby. Some postpartum infections actually begin brewing during labor, though they often don't become apparent for days – or even weeks – after delivery."

https://www.webmd.com/parenting/baby...tum-problems#1

https://www.healthline.com/health/pr...s#other-issues

From the March of Dimes link in my previous post regarding C-section:
"Don’t lift anything heavier than your baby."

That is usually about 6-8 pounds. Even many non-physical jobs require some light lifting of boxes, etc.

Old 10-11-2019, 10:42 AM

36,623 posts, read 30,945,456 times
Quote:
Kids have always been a financial liability.

Old 10-11-2019, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Kids have always been a financial liability.
Actually, "back in the day", not so much, at least after they got to be age 5-6 or so (school age). They helped out on the farm. By 10, some were going off to the factory to work.

Old 10-11-2019, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
First of all, you are arguing against long-standing precedent. I don't get why you have such a problem with giving women six short weeks of disability. That is a common amount of time for recovery from surgery.

Secondly, such comments and your previous comment about why would it take six months of adjustment makes me wonder if you ever had a baby! It's a life-changing event!

Back to physical recovery, six weeks is considered the standard; eight weeks for a C-section.

What can't you do? Lifting for one thing. You're more vulnerable to infection. Many things.
Never said I had a problem with maternity leave or taking 6 weeks. I dont even know where you pulled that from. I am not in favor of a federal mandate giving all working parents 6 months leave with full pay that will be taxed to all employees.

Yes I have two kids. It did not take 6 weeks for me to recover to the point I could do normal activities and I had a difficult the first time. Now days your out of the hospital within 2 days. Gee I had to lift my babies, I had to drive, I had to cook, do laundry and everything else I did before giving birth. Unless there are complications most women are back to their normal activity in a week or two. Yes it takes a while for your body to return 100% pre-pregnancy/birth but extra weight, leaky boobs, perineal pain, some constipation and fatigue are not disabilities.

So what are the many things you could not physically do for 6 months after having a child? Who picked your children up for you?

Old 10-11-2019, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
Actually, "back in the day", not so much, at least after they got to be age 5-6 or so (school age). They helped out on the farm. By 10, some were going off to the factory to work.
Because everyone lived on a farm. Back in the day kids were often sent to poor houses, farmed out, or sent to relatives because they were a financial burden. I'm sure those parents did not want to see their 10 year old working in a mill or coal mine. If the kids were not a financial liability they would not have to work like an adult for 10 to 20% the wages instead of going to school.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies