Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2019, 08:36 AM

12,716 posts, read 7,831,192 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovecrowds View Post
This is why as a single-male without children I won't be voting Democratic.

Up to $37,500 just for having a baby? About 3.7 million people have a baby a year, it's gotten to the point where these proposals are just bizzare.

Kamala Harris proposed a new plan of 6 months of paid parental leave for having a baby valued at $37,500 considering there are close to 4 million births a year that is quite a large proposal.

She also proposed $6,000 a year reserved for low and middle-income families for emergencies, additionally for families she wants a refundable tax credit for families paying more than 30% of their income in rent.

https://www.politico.com/news/2019/1...ve-plan-037640

https://gephardtdaily.com/national-i...o-cut-poverty/

https://www.upi.com/Top_News/US/2019...6831570470945/

https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/nvss/births.htm

Seems to be like pro-life conservatives should be getting behind this. If you want to force women to carry all pregnancies to term, they should have the means to care for their children after they are born.

Of course, it's never about the children and never has been. It's all about controlling women and posts like this prove it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2019, 08:40 AM

10,516 posts, read 7,056,029 times
As a conservative I do think women should get paid time off for child birth. Whats the correct amount? 6 months? I'd say 3 months is a great time frame.

Old 10-24-2019, 08:59 AM

23,177 posts, read 12,256,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
Seems to be like pro-life conservatives should be getting behind this. If you want to force women to carry all pregnancies to term, they should have the means to care for their children after they are born.

Of course, it's never about the children and never has been. It's all about controlling women and posts like this prove it.

Pure nonsense. Women should take all the time they need but they should provide for their own means to care for their own children after they are born. They made the choice to get pregnant, not their neighbor. Therefore they can pay for it, not their neighbor. If a family wants to spend half a year at home with their newborns they should save up to cover their time off.

Old 10-24-2019, 09:10 AM

36,606 posts, read 30,939,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
I had my son nearly 27 years ago. I was in the hospital just over a DAY. Took 6 weeks off from work. It does not take SIX months to recover from having a child. Good grief.
I had mine 32 years ago. A day or two hospital and 6 weeks, 2 paid and 4 unpaid leave. I worked until my contractions were 5 minutes apart.
Granted it would have been great to have 6 months off with full pay, but not necessary to "recover".

Old 10-24-2019, 04:42 PM

1,299 posts, read 825,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
I had my son nearly 27 years ago. I was in the hospital just over a DAY. Took 6 weeks off from work. It does not take SIX months to recover from having a child. Good grief.
No one thinks a mother needs six months to recover. Strawman. And a weird thing to sneer at people over. Long live the Mommy Wars!

24 years ago I spent 5 days in hospital (unplanned c-section), six weeks-ish recovering physically, and spent the next six months with my baby. It was awesome. If I had to go back to works after a couple of typical weeks Americans get off, it would have not been pretty.

Old 10-24-2019, 04:58 PM

10,512 posts, read 4,072,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovecrowds View Post
This is why as a single-male without children I won't be voting Democratic.

Up to $37,500 just for having a baby? About 3.7 million people have a baby a year, it's gotten to the point where these proposals are just bizzare.

Kamala Harris proposed a new plan of 6 months of paid parental leave for having a baby valued at $37,500 considering there are close to 4 million births a year that is quite a large proposal.

She also proposed $6,000 a year reserved for low and middle-income families for emergencies, additionally for families she wants a refundable tax credit for families paying more than 30% of their income in rent.

https://www.politico.com/news/2019/1...ve-plan-037640

https://gephardtdaily.com/national-i...o-cut-poverty/

https://www.upi.com/Top_News/US/2019...6831570470945/

https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/nvss/births.htm
Heck, I was thinking the other day how we have that government run program that is called WIC. Women, infants and children, and I as a woman, am thinking that this is a very sexist program. In this day and age of wanting equal rights, we should change it to PIC, People, Infant and children.

Old 10-24-2019, 05:06 PM

10,512 posts, read 4,072,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PCALMike View Post
The corporations will not find a way if they'll be punished severely if they do. As long as labor unions are destroyed and the working class celebrates the destruction of labor unions, then of course politics will be dominated by corporations and elite interests and not working class interests.

Of course, corporate puppets are all about means testing everything to create division and tension in society, just like SJWs. The more divided the masses are, the better for big money interests.
I bet big corporations would love this plan. They have the money and resources to cover it, and a plan like this will surely destroy their smaller competition. You think it's bad now that our entertainment industry or cell phone industry is gobbling eachother up in mergers and monopolies. It will be even worse when just a handful of companies own everything, and then watch them start investing in robots and machines to take place of the human worker.

Old 10-24-2019, 05:38 PM

3,307 posts, read 1,222,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by warhorse78 View Post
I bet big corporations would love this plan. They have the money and resources to cover it, and a plan like this will surely destroy their smaller competition. You think it's bad now that our entertainment industry or cell phone industry is gobbling eachother up in mergers and monopolies. It will be even worse when just a handful of companies own everything, and then watch them start investing in robots and machines to take place of the human worker.
I will say I have to agree with this and I am left of center. I don't think that people realize that this will only help reinforce corporate control. Although if it is government paying out all of the benefits coming from fining corporations, then that could be different. I just wish politicians would be honest in telling the American people that these programs will cost them. They have a value added tax in Europe for pretty much all consumer goods, which can strain working families, since a higher proportion of their income goes to paying for said goods. With all of the national debt, hopefully modern monetary theory is actually a viable application in economics. It seems like we have become accustomed to constant economic growth, which may not actually be the case in the future.

Old 10-24-2019, 05:40 PM

4,336 posts, read 1,560,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Torn2pieces View Post
She’s a moron.
She's insane, too, but that is a prerequisite for becoming a D-RAT!

Old 10-24-2019, 05:43 PM

4,564 posts, read 4,110,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post

I don't think its about controling women. Its about intellectual dishonesty or laziness. Pro life conservatives don't want babies to be harmed. They are just to cowardly to put their money where their mouths are.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies