Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2019, 10:13 AM

4,049 posts, read 2,743,026 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
But as I asked, why would the DACAs want to remain here and be separated from their parents instead of staying united as a family in their own homelands?
Because some of them have their own families and careers here now. They are teachers, I believe at least one is a police officer, emts, firefighters and they also serve in our military. They mostly don't know any other life & I think we should stop using them as bargaining chips.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2019, 10:16 AM

89,061 posts, read 44,866,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sindey View Post
Because some of them have their own families and careers here now. They are teachers, I believe at least one is a police officer, emts, firefighters and they also serve in our military. They mostly don't know any other life & I think we should stop using them as bargaining chips.
I think they should be deported. Do the children of prosecuted bank robbers get to keep the stolen money? No. This is the same. DACAs shouldn't benefit from their parents' illegal acts.

Old 11-11-2019, 10:20 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,659,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnesthesiaMD View Post
Um, yes I know that.

...Really? LOL.

I wasn’t talking about the Supreme Court.

When they rule DACA unconstitutional, the DACA people can be used as a bargaining chip in congress. Now, they are technically legal, so they are worthless as a bargaining chip. Once they are made illegal again, congress can come up with an alternative to keep them here, in exchange for more border security.
Who knows what you were talking about, but the thread is about the Supreme Court, and no, they are not looking at it to determine whether or not it is unconstitutional.

Old 11-11-2019, 10:24 AM

The biggest challenge is the fact that practically all of them work (91%) and pay taxes, and that they have some 200 000 kids who were born in US and are citizens, as are many of their spouses.

Old 11-11-2019, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
The biggest challenge is the fact that practically all of them work (91%) and pay taxes, and that they have some 200 000 kids who were born in US and are citizens, as are many of their spouses.
If their spouses are citizens, they, too, could have become citizens. They chose not to. Deport them.

Old 11-11-2019, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
If their spouses are citizens, they, too, could have become citizens. They chose not to. Deport them.
No, it is not as simple as that for people with their status.

Old 11-11-2019, 10:34 AM

18,466 posts, read 15,259,695 times
Quote:
Who knows what you were talking about, but the thread is about the Supreme Court, and no, they are not looking at it to determine whether or not it is unconstitutional.
Probably anyone who read it, besides you.

And the thread is about DACA as well as the Supreme Court.

And, yes they are Looking at it to determine whether or not it is unconstitutional. The administration’s argument is that DACA is unlawful.

Old 11-11-2019, 10:35 AM

Quote:
No, it is not as simple as that for people of their status.
Yes, the spouse of a US citizen can apply for citizenship.

Old 11-11-2019, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Yes, the spouse of a US citizen can apply for citizenship.
Like I said, it is not as simple as that for people with their status.

Old 11-11-2019, 10:39 AM

13,605 posts, read 4,937,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by remco67 View Post
its harsh but what Obama did was Executive Action and not Law. He himself i believe made a statement that it would not survive legal challenge. You cannot allow a President to do an Executive Order and have that have the force of Law which all subsequent Presidents must follow.

I don't care how much you hate Trump or favor Daca, if you allow this imagine say what the next President, perhaps even Trump might be capable of doing. And once the Supreme Court approves it any future Executive Order could just point to this case as Precedence. Might as well get rid of Congress now and all hail the King.
I'm really in favor of DACA but I agree with you. It was started by executive order and Trump has the right to end it by executive order. One argument was that he couldn't rescind it retroactively, but surely he can say that starting today anyone who's 2 year deferral has elapsed can be deported. I just wish he wouldn't.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies