Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2019, 11:27 AM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,644,010 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Actually, you do, you just don't have the life experience to recognize that.

You have no direct knowledge of anywhere outside the North American continent in countries immediately adjacent to the US. Your lack of international travel experience does indeed explain your lack of understanding of the world, economic systems, and many other things.
Again, I do not have a limited understanding, you just think I do because we disagree, which is very condescending
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2019, 11:32 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,712,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-310 View Post
They would go to the Guatemalan embassy and obtain one.
How would they prove they were born in Guatemala?

Old 11-11-2019, 11:36 AM

89,165 posts, read 44,953,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
Again, I do not have a limited understanding, you just think I do because we disagree, which is very condescending
If you think a Guatemalan DACA is no longer a Guatemalan, yes, you do indeed have a limited understanding. Such a person remains a Guatemalan until they naturalize as a US citizen.

Old 11-11-2019, 11:38 AM

Quote:
If you think a Guatemalan DACA is no longer a Guatemalan, yes, you do indeed have a limited understanding. Such a person remains a Guatemalan until they naturalize as a US citizen.
You missed the point entirely, as usual

Again, example: I was born in New York, only lived there until I was 18, but have lived in Arizona longer than I lived in NY at this point. Am I still a New Yorker?.....

Old 11-11-2019, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
How would they prove they were born in Guatemala?
They don't have to have been born in Guatemala. Guatemala is a jus sanguinis citizenship country. If one or both parents are Guatemalan, any of their biological children are Guatemalan, as well.

Old 11-11-2019, 11:42 AM

Quote:
You missed the point entirely, as usual

Again, example: I was born in New York, only lived there until I was 18, but have lived in Arizona longer than I lived in NY at this point. Am I still a New Yorker?.....
Um... You realize those are both in the US, no? US states don't issue passports. Nationality is Federal determination, not an individual state determination.

Are you really not understanding the difference between a country and a US state?

Old 11-11-2019, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Um... You realize those are both in the US, no? US states don't issue passports. Nationality is Federal determination, not an individual state determination.

Are you really not understanding the difference between a country and a US state?
I'm trying to make a point, someone who came to the US before they could walk or say their first words would have no remembrance or understanding of the country they were born in, never would have gone to school there, never would have worked there, never would have made friends or acquaintances there, etc. All their ties and what they know would be here in the United States. Your line of argument is bureaucratic to the max

Old 11-11-2019, 11:55 AM

Quote:
I'm trying to make a point, someone who came to the US before they could walk or say their first words would have no remembrance or understanding of the country they were born in, never would have gone to school there, never would have worked there, never would have made friends or acquaintances there, etc. All their ties and what they know would be here in the United States. Your line of argument is bureaucratic to the max
That's irrelevant. If they have no US citizen parent and weren't born in the US, they are not a US citizen. Under jus sanguinis citizenship laws, which nearly every country has, their nationality is that of their parent(s). And, actually, that's the norm for the rest of the world, including other first world countries. The US is no different in that respect.

Again, you don't know that because you have very limited life experience.

Old 11-11-2019, 11:57 AM

Quote:
That's irrelevant. If they have no US citizen parent and weren't born in the US, they are not a US citizen. Under jus sanguinis citizenship laws, which nearly every country has, their nationality is that of their parent(s). And, actually, that's the norm for the rest of the world, including other first world countries. The US is no different in that respect.

Again, you don't know that because you have very limited life experience.
I know about that, but I also am a human, and not a robot, and understand things like nuance and not always doing everything "by the book"

Old 11-11-2019, 12:01 PM

76,971 posts, read 47,712,053 times
Quote:
They don't have to have been born in Guatemala. Guatemala is a jus sanguinis citizenship country. If one or both parents are Guatemalan, any of their biological children are Guatemalan, as well.
You are not getting it.

If you were brought to US at 5 yr old, and now you are 30 and have no clue where your parents are, then you can't just walk to an embassy of some country and tell them you need a passport, because your parents are from there. They would require proof.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies