Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2008, 11:55 PM

8,568 posts, read 16,233,536 times

Advertisements

LoL, if I'm not mistaken Hillary was for the resolution to invade The Hague if we ever arrested an American soldier for committing war crimes.
So I guess I'm biased when it comes to Hillary.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2008, 12:18 AM

16 posts, read 49,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertsun41 View Post
There are lots of dangerous people in this world. Nearly all of them live in that part of the world. They hate us because we have all this in just our 300 year life span while they are thousands of years old and still live in caves.
First of all, Iranians are Persian / Aryan (hence the name 'Iran') and they don't speak Arabic. Oh and here's some great pics of those caves you refer to!

I recommend this movie to those of you that are still under the "Fox effect."

Rageh inside iran

Old 05-09-2008, 05:58 AM

19,198 posts, read 31,476,088 times
Just in terms of imaginary political heritage, I would have Bill Clinton as descended from the line of neocons who didn't leave the Democratic Party in a snit over an inability to control the radical left. Hillary is a little more difficult to pin down, but I think she's more from the mainstream than he is.

As for Iran, even talk of invading is absurd. In a proper world, Bush would have been on the phone to Ahmadinejad the day he took office, and there would have been a high-level, ongoing dialog over issues and relations ever since. I guess that would have been too tough a task for Bush though. He'd rather scowl and wave his arms about. That's all very helpful...

Old 05-09-2008, 08:28 AM

11,135 posts, read 14,193,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saganista View Post
Just in terms of imaginary political heritage, I would have Bill Clinton as descended from the line of neocons who didn't leave the Democratic Party in a snit over an inability to control the radical left. Hillary is a little more difficult to pin down, but I think she's more from the mainstream than he is.

As for Iran, even talk of invading is absurd. In a proper world, Bush would have been on the phone to Ahmadinejad the day he took office, and there would have been a high-level, ongoing dialog over issues and relations ever since. I guess that would have been too tough a task for Bush though. He'd rather scowl and wave his arms about. That's all very helpful...
HA ha, controlling the radical left or even the Liberal left is like trying to herd angry cats, or so they say. (and I even know why) yuk yuk...

While I let you bean counter folks hash the nuance of economic policy, on the matter of diplomacy, I must give credit where credit is due. Both, and most notably, Clinton and Reagan were both phone phreaks. They spent vast amounts of time conversing with various world leaders. Heck, not only could they pronounce Pervez Musharraf, they could spell it too. In fact, the grunts, clicks, and flailing hand gesticulations used by Bush is likely seen by many cultures as offensive, I know it is here anyway.

An invasion of Iran is not only unlikely, but a practical impossibility. My fear would be that Israel would use air strikes and Iran would retaliate. In which case, the US would then come to the aid of Israel and wa la, another war. Keep in mind, nearly every Presidential candidate has basically stated that Israel must be defended no matter what. Even if leads to our economic collapse or the irradiation of the globe. Also note that Prime Minister Olmert is in the middle of an investigation for election violations and the man waiting in the wind is Benjamin Netanyahu, one of the most hawkish and pro-war types in all of Israel.

I'm curious as to what the Russian may have to say about this sort of scenario since they have heavily invested in Bashir, not to mention the various European and Asian nations who have an economic stake in this matter.

Makes one wonder how many rational military types are sitting in the Pentagon right now sweating like a prostitute in church, awaiting the last days of this administration.

Old 05-09-2008, 08:30 AM

3,255 posts, read 5,080,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saganista View Post

That is so funny, because when he was in, she was considered the radical and he the conservative. Amazing ow things change without really changing.

Old 05-09-2008, 08:56 AM

994 posts, read 1,544,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TnHilltopper View Post
There is a mountain of evidence out there that seems to suggest otherwise.

Hillary the Hawk (http://www.amconmag.com/2006/2006_03_27/cover.html - broken link)

While this was written for the American Conservative Magazine, it was written by Justin Raimondo of AntiWar.com fame.
Ok, ok - so she's not Barbara Boxer. At least she's not as bad as McCain, and I'm voting for Obama.

Old 05-10-2008, 11:47 PM

30 posts, read 76,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janeannwho View Post
On one hand, we say that the people of Iran are helpless captives to an oppressive government and on the other, Hillary Clinton, vows to obliterate Iran if it attacks Israel? What is the morality of obliterating a captive people?
Iran isn't oppressive compared to Bush-U.S ally Saudi Arabia; whom we seem happy to send weapons and support them despite they basically were the entire regiment of 9/11 hijackers.

Furthermore, if we are to attack Iran it would be because of the propaganda spread by AIPAC and similar groups in the U.S who seem hell-bent on pushing the U.S into another war for Israel.

When has Iran invaded another country?

I know Israel has launched several 'pre-emptive' (so they say) wars.

The pro-iran-war is the same cast of characters and following the exact same script of the Iraq war.

Last edited by Haargar; 05-10-2008 at 11:55 PM..

Old 05-11-2008, 10:07 AM

19,198 posts, read 31,476,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haargar View Post
The pro-iran-war is the same cast of characters and following the exact same script of the Iraq war.
Amazing, isn't it? Maybe it's just a case of wanting a do-over. Maybe they think they can get it right this time...

Old 05-13-2008, 08:40 AM

994 posts, read 1,544,695 times
Cheney wants to start throwing bombs now, but Bush is a little reluctant, not for any reasons of morality, but because he sees his 'legacy' going into the toilet, and does not want to add to the 'load'.

Old 05-13-2008, 11:16 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,783,759 times
Attacking Iran is even dumber than attacking Iraq but would have far worse consequences. I do not see any reason for our involvement in this part of the world. I do not support our relationship with either Israel or Saudi Arabia. They are not our friends and if we just get out the world will be surprised how soon peace will break out all over the region.

No matter the profits, everybody looses in a war.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies