Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2020, 02:13 PM

9,229 posts, read 9,758,341 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
well, the Chinese called it

wu han fei yan

it means WUHAN Pneumonia.
No, only Taiwanese uses that term.
People in mainland China or Hong Kong don't use that term.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2020, 02:14 PM

73,014 posts, read 62,607,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
You were apparently raised right. It makes no sense to support an adult in a position of power and authority speaking and behaving in ways we would not accept if it were a 10 year old.

No, it doesn't hell anyone at all, but those people do not care. They'll support "trolling the libs" as Trump and his ilk lead the country right down the toilet.

November cannot come quickly enough.
My father and mother did their best. I've never heard either of my parents call it "China virus" or Kung flu".

I never thought I would see the day we would have a President who had the mentality of a 13 year-old bully. It never occurred to me that we could be that far down a rabbit hole. Even sadder, we have individuals who co-sign such behavior. Being hateful and being a troll is how some people are, and calling this disease "China virus" or "kung flu" is a product of that.

Old 07-14-2020, 02:20 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,636,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HJ99 View Post
So why is Trump in denial rather than "kung-flu fighting"???? Seems he is too much of a coward to actually do anything about it. Wishing upon a star and blaming the messenger of bad news, doesnt do diddly. But wait, maybe his bone spurs are acting up....... that excuse worked before to avoid public service. This time I think they formed on inside of his skull.
Why? Surely, Trump and family members have been in great health all their lives, therefore, can't relate to serious public health threats. How do you know his bone spurs were for real?

8,272 posts, read 10,991,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbythegreat View Post
I hear calling a virus from China that is similar to the flu the "China Flu" is the best way to get feeble minded individuals on the left to screech "REEEEE!"
"That review suggests that the most likely site of origin was Haskell County, Kansas, an isolated and sparsely populated county in the southwest corner of the state, in January 1918 [1]. If this hypothesis is correct, it has public policy implications."

LINK

The pandemic of 1918 should be called the American Flu - according to some posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettafish View Post
No, only Taiwanese uses that term.
People in mainland China or Hong Kong don't use that term.
I'm American and I call it Covid-19. That is the proper and scientific term for it. I don't see any good reason in calling it "kung flu". All I see is immaturity and hatred in referring to it as "kung flu".

Old 07-14-2020, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by unit731 View Post
"That review suggests that the most likely site of origin was Haskell County, Kansas, an isolated and sparsely populated county in the southwest corner of the state, in January 1918 [1]. If this hypothesis is correct, it has public policy implications."

LINK

The pandemic of 1918 should be called the American Flu - according to some posting here.
That, I don't call it "American flu" or "Spanish flu". I call it "the flu" or "influenza".

Old 07-14-2020, 02:23 PM

52,697 posts, read 34,555,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
My father and mother did their best. I've never heard either of my parents call it "China virus" or Kung flu".

I never thought I would see the day we would have a President who had the mentality of a 13 year-old bully. It never occurred to me that we could be that far down a rabbit hole. Even sadder, we have individuals who co-sign such behavior. Being hateful and being a troll is how some people are, and calling this disease "China virus" or "kung flu" is a product of that.
is it 'hateful' or trollish to refer to the H3N2 influenza as the Hong Kong Flu?

why or why not?

Old 07-14-2020, 02:25 PM

9,094 posts, read 6,317,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbythegreat View Post
I hear calling a virus from China that is similar to the flu the "China Flu" is the best way to get feeble minded individuals on the left to screech "REEEEE!"
COVID19 is not a flu virus but we could call it CHARS. China Acute Respiratory Syndrome. In fact the original one should be renamed that as well so we would have CHARS1 from 2003 and CHARS2 from 2019/2020.

Care to offer a prediction when CHARS3 will strike? or CHARS4?

Last edited by AtkinsonDan; 07-14-2020 at 02:47 PM..

Old 07-14-2020, 02:26 PM

52,697 posts, read 34,555,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unit731 View Post

LINK

yep, or the kansas flu. if it could be proven, that is. it certainly shouldn't be called the Spanish flu.
however...

1918 Flu Pandemic That Killed 50 Million Originated in China, Historians Say

Old 07-14-2020, 02:28 PM

9,229 posts, read 9,758,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
I'm American and I call it Covid-19. That is the proper and scientific term for it. I don't see any good reason in calling it "kung flu". All I see is immaturity and hatred in referring to it as "kung flu".
I agree. It's natural for Trump to blame China, but he should not be so childish.
However he seemed to be a fan of name calling in the past anyway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies