Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2020, 10:10 AM

21,953 posts, read 9,532,892 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seacove View Post
Yes. Republicans complaining about it after they wouldn't even have a vote for Merrick Garland almost a year before Obama's term ended are the definition of hypocrisy.
You should inform yourself a little better. They wouldn't have a vote because they knew it wouldn't be approved since the GOP had control of the Senate. It was a waste of time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2020, 10:11 AM

11,148 posts, read 10,721,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Volobjectitarian View Post
It isn't "if" they plan to. They DO plan to, which is why neither of them will answer the question.

And why that should scare everyone on both sides is because if the GOP has shown us anything in the last 20 years, it is that their only single use of political courage seems to be taking any new Democrat precedent that was created/implemented to diss the GOP, cranking that new precedent up to 11, and dropping a bomb on what the Democrats took a wrecking ball to. And the perfectly predictable Democrat response to that bomb will be launching nukes the minute they can exact their revenge. And so it goes, over and over, endlessly....until every possible shred of the participatory democratic republic has been turned into radioactive glass in favor of the pure, no doubts whatsoever oligarchy/plutocracy.

Not that voting for Trump gets you much further, since a 2nd term where he totally doesn't concern himself with reelection means that he can go full tilt 100% revenge mode, which also does nothing but nuke democratic principles in favor of letting everyone know who runs crap up in this piece.

I am reminded of a lyric from Tool:

It's never been this transparent, just how borked we all are no matter who wins. Not the White House, not control of the House or Senate, nothing, no matter which party or person. They've dropped pretty much all pretense and are being a lot more arrogant and defiant about things are going to be from now on...all of them.
I can't add to your reputation right now, but you've hit the proverbial nail on the head.

Old 10-10-2020, 10:12 AM

34,300 posts, read 15,674,899 times
If I hated America and wanted to see the constitution destroyed I would !!!

Sense I don't hate America there is no way I'd vote democrat on any issue !!!

Old 10-10-2020, 10:15 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,821,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
"they plan to expand the Supreme Court’s size? " And HOW are THEY going to it? it is NOT up to them.
But if they get control of both houses they will find a way to push it through. I can assure you, I am not taking a chance: I would not vote for anyone that wanted to expand the supreme court

Old 10-10-2020, 10:18 AM

5,581 posts, read 2,313,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phma View Post
If I hated America and wanted to see the constitution destroyed I would !!!
Trump is tearing apart the constitution regarding Freedom of the Press and the Right to Peaceably Assemble and Freedom of Speech. It's hypocritical to vote for Trump if you say you support the constitution.

Old 10-10-2020, 10:18 AM

3,424 posts, read 1,450,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
But if they get control of both houses they will find a way to push it through. I can assure you, I am not taking a chance: I would not vote for anyone that wanted to expand the supreme court

Ditto on that and why I wrote:

Venezuela ought to serve as a chilling contemporary warning, and cause every freedom loving American voter to be fearful of “court packing”, and that means “court packing” by either political party!

JWK

Reaching across the aisle and bipartisanship is Washington Newspeak to subvert the Constitution and screw the American People.

Old 10-10-2020, 10:21 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,821,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seacove View Post
Yes. Republicans complaining about it after they wouldn't even have a vote for Merrick Garland almost a year before Obama's term ended are the definition of hypocrisy.
It isn't that simple: even Obama knew it would be a waste of time and tax payers money to go any further with the nomination when the senate was controlled by the GOP, thus a conformation would not have happened. Don't you think the same thing will happen if Bennett doesn't get confirmed before the election and if, by some chance Biden wins? The name of the game is called Politics!!!

Old 10-10-2020, 10:23 AM

22,196 posts, read 19,481,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
It isn't that simple: even Obama knew it would be a waste of time and tax payers money to go any further with the nomination when the senate was controlled by the GOP, thus a conformation would not have happened. Don't you think the same thing will happen if Bennett doesn't get confirmed before the election and if, by some chance Biden wins? The name of the game is called Politics!!!
Of course that wasn't the argument the GOP used in 2016.

Old 10-10-2020, 10:24 AM

8,779 posts, read 5,074,069 times
Looks like now Bieden is saying that you do not deserve to know what his thoughts are on the supreme court size.....until after the election. Who in their right mind would vote for this moron.

Old 10-10-2020, 10:24 AM

13,979 posts, read 5,638,833 times
And to anyone thinking "oh, it's only the Dems..." I advise you to read Critical Thinking For Dummies and get a clue.

The reason the Republicans are all super duper constitutional zealots on the issue is because even if you let Roberts finally come out the super-liberal closet and be who he wants to be, they still have a solid 5-4 majority with Barrett. And the oldest two members are split, and if Trump wins, the two next retirees means Trump 5 scoops the SCOTUS to a 6-3 conservative majority for the next 20-30 years...and that's allowing for Roberts to put the big blue L on his chest and be loud and proud about the real John.

So of courrrrrrrsssssse they are all about the sanctity of 9 and the tradition and blah blah. It serves their interests. If the court was currently 7-2 liberal....they'd be ALL FOR court packing because hey, the super sacred Constitution doesn't say 9 does it? No, so why can't elections have consequences and all that?

We know this because the 2020 rhetoric is 180 degrees different than the 2016 rhetoric on the sacred sanctity of voter input, constitutional matters, traditions, precedents, etc.

Here is the constitutional bottom line for both parties, in a clear, concise, easy to read format that applies to all 537 elected people in the Legislative and Executive branches:
  • If the Constitution serves a particular interest, then it is sacred, unwavering, absolute, and almighty.
  • If the Constitution interferes with a particular interest, then it is living, vague, amorphous and archaic.
Compare their rhetoric when they have the majority versus when they are in the minority, and then also compare when the Constitution serves or opposes one of their interests. It's pretty easy to observe if you take off partisan blinders.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies