Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2020, 04:17 PM

9,897 posts, read 3,448,831 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Webster’s Dictionary was caught changing its entry for “preference” and is now labeling the term as offensive in relation to “sexual preference” after yesterday’s fake outrage the SCOTUS nominee hearing:
Quote:
As recently as last month, Webster’s Dictionary included a definition of “preference” as “orientation” or “sexual preference.” TODAY they changed it and added the word “offensive."
https://twitchy.com/gregp-3534/2020/...-fake-outrage/

They're considering changing their name to "Newspeak."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2020, 04:21 PM

30,220 posts, read 18,787,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Absolom View Post
https://twitchy.com/gregp-3534/2020/...-fake-outrage/

They're considering changing their name to "Newspeak."

Scary, isn't it?

The libs do not even realize that they are becoming the exact entity that Orwell warned us about.

PC language (Newspeak), Burning books, "Ministry of Truth", and the constant external existential threat.

"1984" = Democrat party

Old 10-14-2020, 04:25 PM

7,743 posts, read 5,553,996 times
Who cares? Buy a different dictionary

Old 10-14-2020, 04:26 PM

7,826 posts, read 6,417,828 times
Joe Biden used the phrase this year, no one seemed to care. Probably because they either cover for him or they just made up that it was offensive.

Old 10-14-2020, 04:27 PM

9,897 posts, read 3,448,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedirtypirate View Post
Who cares? Buy a different dictionary
Webster's Dictionary cares.

Old 10-14-2020, 04:35 PM

25,115 posts, read 16,291,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
Scary, isn't it?

The libs do not even realize that they are becoming the exact entity that Orwell warned us about.

PC language (Newspeak), Burning books, "Ministry of Truth", and the constant external existential threat.

"1984" = Democrat party
somewhere out there, a widespread youtube that reaches the populace about "it might be 40 years late, but the Dems will bring you 1984 if Biden is elected" with quotes/ideas from the original.

I read it way back then; I graduated HS in 1984. The main thing I remember is "groupthink" and the rmoval of all dissent.

Old 10-14-2020, 04:55 PM

16,912 posts, read 10,638,278 times
How Orwellian of them. The big tech companies have become the Ministry of Truth and others are following suit. Scary times.
Moderators for US and World Forums

Old 10-14-2020, 05:00 PM

19,972 posts, read 9,525,590 times
I am a senior, so I sometimes find it difficult to keep up, but I don't seem why the phrase "sexual preference" is offensive.

I did find the following article right now, but I thought the left has maintained that sexual identity is fluid, so what is wrong with the term preference? For example, someone can say they are a vegetarian if that is what they like right now, but it doesn't mean s/he will always be a vegetarian. Or to put it another way, some people might identify as being straight and the opposite sex is what s/he prefers for sexual relations right now, but I have read literally dozens of cases in which people identified as one way and then identified another way later on and preferred a sexual relationship with someone of the same sex.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/10/14/us/se...rnd/index.html

I

Old 10-14-2020, 05:05 PM

26,132 posts, read 19,080,534 times
I'm glad I have an unabridged dictionary from about 20 years ago. It's huge, but it contains actual English, offensive to the left or not. Also, most of the history books I own were published long before the left decided to change and erase history. I'm in the process of buying all the books of quotes and essays by each of the founding fathers before new editions come out with re-written and altered content. Used bookstores will soon be the only place to find the truth... until the book burning party. All this sure rings a bell when it comes to history (real, un-revised history)...

Old 10-14-2020, 05:20 PM

16,912 posts, read 10,638,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
I'm glad I have an unabridged dictionary from about 20 years ago. It's huge, but it contains actual English, offensive to the left or not. Also, most of the history books I own were published long before the left decided to change and erase history. I'm in the process of buying all the books of quotes and essays by each of the founding fathers before new editions come out with re-written and altered content. Used bookstores will soon be the only place to find the truth... until the book burning party. All this sure rings a bell when it comes to history (real, un-revised history)...
Yeah, maybe we need one real library of physical books that can’t be altered, old books. The truth will soon be dominant by the tech industry.
Moderators for US and World Forums
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies