Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2020, 07:19 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,698,466 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seacove View Post
Aren't there about 4 million in the Houston metro? And only one drop off box? The line will be unbelievable.
There won't be very many mail in votes to worry about, because only people 65 or older can do it. They will mostly be Democrat voters, because most retired voters, especially Republican ones prefer to vote in person, which tells you the reason why Texas Republicans want it that way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2020, 07:22 PM

13,716 posts, read 9,044,544 times
Quote:
Aren't there about 4 million in the Houston metro? And only one drop off box? The line will be unbelievable.

I had thought to go by our official 'drop off' box here in Tarrant county. But it was a good 30 minute drive, and my vision is not so good. So I mailed my ballot.

It does seem odd that Governor Abbott would decreed that Loving County (population of 150) would have as many drop off boxes as Harris county (population of 4.5 million).

Mr. Abbott is, unfortunately, a politician first. He knows that his order will suppress voting in 'liberal' cities like Houston and Austin, while Loving county will be fine.

Republicans will be punished at the voting box.

Old 10-15-2020, 07:22 PM

25,116 posts, read 16,264,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post
Did something happen on this since Saturday? The last action I know of was on Friday, when a federal judge granted an injunction blocking the one box per county thing. I just did a cursory search to see if anything new has happened, but didn't find anything.

It's being appealed to the 5th Circuit, but afaik what you wrote isn't currently correct. In fact, the opposite is true.

https://www.wfmynews2.com/article/ne...8-728c66b4385c
nope.

it is Texas law, it seems, to have 1 dropbox per county. the Texas SC (I think) said "follow the law".

the law also says you can ONLY drop off ON Election Day. Guess what - Abbott waived that. I'll go find the thread for those interested, and link it here.

It's important. It's why we should have fewer topics (of ALL types and from both sides) here. You might learn something - even being a Texan - as I have just from general interest in ALL voters exercising their right.

Old 10-15-2020, 07:23 PM

25,116 posts, read 16,264,529 times
here's the original thread

https://www.city-data.com/forum/poli...stricting.html

Old 10-15-2020, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBromhal View Post
nope.

it is Texas law, it seems, to have 1 dropbox per county. the Texas SC (I think) said "follow the law".

the law also says you can ONLY drop off ON Election Day. Guess what - Abbott waived that. I'll go find the thread for those interested, and link it here.

It's important. It's why we should have fewer topics (of ALL types and from both sides) here. You might learn something - even being a Texan - as I have just from general interest in ALL voters exercising their right.

I would be interested in the link

Old 10-15-2020, 07:24 PM

18,561 posts, read 7,407,810 times
Quote:
No. You are wrong.

Old 10-15-2020, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBromhal View Post

That is an appalling thread. People rejoicing over restricting the right to vote?

Old 10-15-2020, 08:26 PM

17,494 posts, read 9,313,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post
Did something happen on this since Saturday? The last action I know of was on Friday, when a federal judge granted an injunction blocking the one box per county thing. I just did a cursory search to see if anything new has happened, but didn't find anything.

It's being appealed to the 5th Circuit, but afaik what you wrote isn't currently correct. In fact, the opposite is true.
https://www.wfmynews2.com/article/ne...8-728c66b4385c
2 separate Lawsuits ... the first was in a Federal Court to rule on State Law ... it went up to the Federal Circuit Appeals Court ..... which correctly confirmed that Long standing State Law stands.
One Ballot Box location at the County Election Clerks Office per County.

So the Leftists lost that lawsuit and immediately filed another Lawsuit, this time in State Court (Travis County/Austin). That happened today ... the Leftist Judge ruled that the State did not have the authority to limit Ballot drop boxes to one per County.... which indicates that this ?State Judge is totally Clueless about Texas ?State Law And has no business bring a Judge at all.

What is next? The ruling wil be appealed to the Rexas Supreme Court and they will Overturn the ruling.
Oddly enough, the Texas State Supreme Court Judges DO know Texas Law.

The REAL Question is what are these Leftists really up to? Why this obsession with Random unsecured Ballot Drop Boxes all over the State?

Texas Law has ALWAYS been that Absentee Votes had to be mailed with arrival before Election Day. In 2020 for the very first time ... the Legislature responded to those that wanted a FIX for people forgot to get their Absentee Ballot in the Mail in time sonthey passed a Law several years ago ( to take effect in 2020) to allow Ballots to be delivered to the ?County Clerks Office ON ELECTION DAY.

Because of the Pandemic & the State Emergency Declarations .... the Governor extended Early Voting by one Week AND allowed EARLY Ballot drop off at the Count Clerks Office dusting the entire Early Voting Period, which began on October 13.

The Texas State Supreme Court WILL uphold Texas Election Law.

The main question is still ....WHY do these Leftists want unsecured Ballot boxes all over the State?
I guess it doesn’t matter .... they so t get them, it’s against Texas Law.

Old 10-15-2020, 09:28 PM
JL

8,522 posts, read 14,566,478 times
Republicans in Texas aren't able to stop drive thru early voting. They have appealed to the Texas Supreme Court but it's too late. There are only two weeks left. Harris County in Houston is going to expand drive thru voting in the coming days. This is a brilliant idea. I'm surprised not many states are doing this. Just drive up to the tent and vote.

Old 10-16-2020, 05:55 AM

17,494 posts, read 9,313,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JL View Post
Republicans in Texas aren't able to stop drive thru early voting. They have appealed to the Texas Supreme Court but it's too late. There are only two weeks left. Harris County in Houston is going to expand drive thru voting in the coming days. This is a brilliant idea. I'm surprised not many states are doing this. Just drive up to the tent and vote.
Texas State Election Law has a Curbside Voting provision ... it’s been in place for years.
It’s for people who are too disabled or ill to go inside Polling places. Curbside Voting was used during the Texas Primary in Harris County. Fear of Coronavirus is not a Disability or Illness and the State Supreme Court has previously ruled on that. Political Parties frequently sue on both sides of the aisle. The State Appeals Court appears to uphold the State Judge based on Standing ... Political Party (GOP in this case) doesn’t have Standing ... the Secretary of State has Standing.

Little known fact here, which was actually brought up in Court .... anyone, anywhere can CLAIM to be Ill, disabled or have a medical condition and .... NOBODY can question that. HIPPA Law.

(While traveling this summer, I saw signs in many stores that said ...
“Colorado Governor has Mandated that persons Must wear a Mask to enter. Exception is Medical condition to not wear a Mask. Nobody is allowed to ask you about a Medical Condition due to HIPPA Laws”)

So ... while Harris County is cheating by setting up these multiple Curbside Voting Locations for Anyone, instead of the Disabled ... they are likely not to be Challenged by the State.

I won’t be surprised to see the Law changed and Curbside Voting removed from Texas Law in the future.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies