Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2008, 08:45 AM

12,200 posts, read 18,369,438 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparco View Post
which world is that?....I mean the one where EVERYBODY always has enuff?....
Obviously the one where Random lives as it's only food stamp shoppers that don't have enough money to pay at the checkout
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2008, 08:53 AM

196 posts, read 208,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalayjones View Post
Obviously the one where Random lives as it's only food stamp shoppers that don't have enough money to pay at the checkout

yeah, Natalie.....I guess he aint never been up to self checkout, thats even more embarrassing when you gotta use that thing and youre pricing the potatoes when the damn things yellin at ya not to put it in the bag yet, then youre HOPING you got enuff cash to stick in the WRONG slot for change, forget bills, who has any.....worlds fulla whiners, and we still gotta stand in line someplace, gang

Old 05-07-2008, 03:17 PM
LML

7,100 posts, read 9,108,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
I
And some people need to think hard before having children. If you can't afford them, then don't have them or offer them up for adoption. If you can afford to feed them, then you also can't afford to help them into college. Adoption is a good option. I know many people with adopted children and they are good happy loving family units.
Good grief. You are either very young and inexperienced or the most cold hearted person there is. So, if thanks to decisions made by CEOs making 6 million a year, a company closes its doors and moves to China, dad and mom not only lose their jobs and lose their homes, they also should give away their CHILDREN???????????????? My gosh. I guess in your world, the only thing a parent has to give a child is money? Not love. Not loyalty. Not family. Not the lessons learned by going through the hard times together and making it together? Do you know how many people who grew up in poverty stricken homes have gone on to accomplish great things in this world? Do you know how many decent, hard working people have had everything they have worked for stripped away from them by callus, cold hearted people who add millions to their own bank accounts by shutting down the places where people in this country use to proudly make a living? A very wise man named Solomon once said; "Brag not about your tomorrow because you know not what it will bring." I suggest that you read the book of Proverbs and rethink you opinions before tomorrow falls on you...and someone demands your children from you.

Old 05-07-2008, 03:26 PM

12,200 posts, read 18,369,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LML View Post
Good grief. You are either very young and inexperienced or the most cold hearted person there is. So, if thanks to decisions made by CEOs making 6 million a year, a company closes its doors and moves to China, dad and mom not only lose their jobs and lose their homes, they also should give away their CHILDREN???????????????? My gosh. I guess in your world, the only thing a parent has to give a child is money? Not love. Not loyalty. Not family. Not the lessons learned by going through the hard times together and making it together? Do you know how many people who grew up in poverty stricken homes have gone on to accomplish great things in this world? Do you know how many decent, hard working people have had everything they have worked for stripped away from them by callus, cold hearted people who add millions to their own bank accounts by shutting down the places where people in this country use to proudly make a living? A very wise man named Solomon once said; "Brag not about your tomorrow because you know not what it will bring." I suggest that you read the book of Proverbs and rethink you opinions before tomorrow falls on you...and someone demands your children from you.
I couldn't have said it better myself

Old 05-07-2008, 04:05 PM

307 posts, read 521,808 times
Quote:
You know what this comment is so silly it's not even worth responding to. My point was that it is not only food stamp people who do that - people with cash do it too - so is it only fustrating when people with food stamps do it? You make it sound like every person using food stamps is going to do this. I can't think of ONE time where I had to put food back because I didn't have enough money to pay for it...but I live right near a college and always get stuck behind 3 roommates counting change to get to the next dollar - so I guess Wal-mart should stop allowing college students to buy food there because it increased my frustration level.
People on food stamps from my experience are more likely to put Items back then those on Credit cards. If you don't agree so be it.

Quote:
Yea okay I was talking about major food chains- not the corner store that no one cares about. Your return policy is your business.How can you relate that to a major retailer? I'll tell you what...go buy a pack of chicken from Publix today - and try to take it back tomorrow without a receipt and then please tell me what happens.

The store in Question as we were talking about is COSTCO. They are a MAJOR warehouse store along the lines of Sams Club. We returned all those items to Costco. They accepted them. No receipt. I have bought food items from Costco and returned them. Give it a try. Smile and be nice and they will do it. Sodas, Candy Bars and one time frozen Burritos. You can’t use your experience at Publix to dictate Costco experiences.

Quote:

Maybe that's the way food stamps work in your county but they don't in mine. As I said before the majority of people receiving food stamps (at leats in my county) are lower middle class family.

You are ignoring the FACT that my information comes from the FEDERAL GOVERNMENT. Not from your limited sample and personal experience

Heres the Data AGAIN

The average household size receiving Food Stamps is 2.3 persons.
The average gross monthly income per food stamp household is $640.

I don't know about you, but most people I know would need to count pennies and pocket lint to live on $640 a month for 2.3 persons.

Heres the source AGAIN.

UNITED STATES DEPARTMENT OF AGRICULTURE (http://www.fns.usda.gov/fsp/faqs.htm - broken link)

Random

Old 05-07-2008, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Nope, It's the Fantasyland your living in where most of the people who use Food stamps make double minimum

Old 05-07-2008, 04:13 PM

8,185 posts, read 12,634,639 times
Quote:
I don't know how you got that out of her post. What I read was very simple ---- do not have children you are not able to parent either financially or emotionally. In other words, if you are 15 and your 23 year old boyfriend has 3 kids he is not supporting, do not get pregnant. If you are married and you and your husband are working hard but barely making ends meet....do not get pregnant (of course not all birth control is 100%, but if the wife in on the pill and the husband is wearing a condom, chances are good an unintended pregnancy will not occur), or if you made all the right choices but are fired due to outsourcing or any reason now would not be a good time to have more children.
Sometimes life throws a curveball, and yes, people have to deal with what they have been dealt. That sometimes means putting aside certain dreams (such as a bigger house or more children) until the time is right. Actions and consequences, choices and repercussioins ------ why have the American people forgotten about these simple and true concepts?

Old 05-07-2008, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparco View Post
yeah, Natalie.....I guess he aint never been up to self checkout, thats even more embarrassing when you gotta use that thing and youre pricing the potatoes when the damn things yellin at ya not to put it in the bag yet, then youre HOPING you got enuff cash to stick in the WRONG slot for change, forget bills, who has any.....worlds fulla whiners, and we still gotta stand in line someplace, gang
I use self Check Out when I have to. It sounds like you live in a nice world where Food Stamp Users make good money. Try joining Reality in a POOR neighborhood and see that most of those on Food stamps make near minimum wage.

Random

Last edited by RandomU; 05-07-2008 at 04:23 PM..

Old 05-07-2008, 04:20 PM

473 posts, read 1,245,153 times
When I was little my parents were dirt poor. Yet my parents had too much pride to ever get food stamps. My best friend's family did have food stamps. So my family would eat hamburger helper while my best friend's family had four course meals with steak and all kinds of good food. We use to beg our parents to let us go to our friends house for dinner. 10 years later, I saw my old friend and we caught up. Turns out his family is still broke and on food stamps and my parents now make 6 figures. Food stamps cause dependency. Don't let anyone tell you different. I saw it first hand.

Old 05-07-2008, 05:15 PM

20,169 posts, read 24,320,493 times
Quote:
miu is a tough fortune cookie.

Sometimes I think her little paper might say "I got mine. Now you get yours."

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies