Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2021, 06:09 AM

16,147 posts, read 6,463,102 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Informed Info View Post
Why ISN'T she collecting welfare?

Helping people in her situation is what welfare is for.

Where are the fathers - she got knocked up in either 6th or 7th grade with the first, highly doubt the 3 year old has the same daddy. Are both in jail?

Is the 10 year old remote learning in the hotel room while watching the 3 year old, or are all OH public schools closed?

Are there no programs in OH that help young single mothers who work, like she does, with childcare?

Or is she just so dumb she never looked in to or applied for any help?

It's not the 50's or the 70's - so that "back in the day when I had to walk a mile uphill, both ways, and carry my siblings on my back" is moot.
It's not an uphill both ways kind of thing. It's what children are developmentally capable of at a certain age. I think 10 is really pushing it when left with a 3 year old. I don't think it's child endangerment. Someone mentioned spankings. I'm totally against that. The fact that I was beaten probably makes me more against it. I think people who spank may have some competency issues but I wouldn't string them up for abuse or call them bad parents.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2021, 07:09 AM

30,565 posts, read 23,977,549 times
Funny, just this morning, I was thinking about the first time I worked for a cruise line. On the very first day we were there, we were shown a video. The video was supposed to impress us with all of this glamour, and luxury, and being treated like kings and queens.

And I remember actually being grossed out by it all.

I also remember my very first trip to Wally World when I lived in Maine. I literally had never been to a Wal Mart before then. I got a cart, walked in, and within just a few steps, stood there in horror at the sheer level of gluttony that I saw. People's carts were overflowing with crap. I saw a guy literally climb some shelving to get something from a top shelf. Everywhere I looked, gluttony.

I left. It was too much.

What does any of that have to do with this topic? Just what I was thinking this morning about that cruise video - $10,000 a person - gosh, how many people could that help? It could mean a car for someone to expand their work search field, and get to work faster, and be able to spend more of their own time not sitting on a bus, standing at another bus stop for another bus - they'd spend about the same in gas as they would a monthly bus fare...

It could mean someone could get a spiffy suit or wardrobe for a more professional job, get their hair cut nicely, good shoes, equipment they need for that more professional job...

It could mean getting someone at least a year in college.

It could mean a lot to one person.

It could mean someone could hire a sitter so they could go to work.

It's not my money - people can spend how they wish - I just remember thinking, "Can you imagine if every one of those people gave that $10,000 per person (low end), to someone who could really benefit from it? Imagine how many people they could help. Imagine how those people could then make a difference for someone else. Just imagine..."

We live in a very consumer driven society. It's pretty sickening. Every suburb, every smaller city, town, it's the same thing: Fast food restaurants, strip malls, tire places, and warehouse stores. Spread on the outer ring are McMansions (not really mansions, but they all look the same - cookie cutter suburbia housing).

City after city after city - you will see this.

Mad that people live on welfare, but won't lift a finger to help. Yes, I know, "I already helped with my tax dollars". Rest assured most of that is wasted by government.

I know it's an "ideal" world - but wouldn't it be nice if people actually helped those who needed it, instead of relying on the government to do it, or, instead of not giving a single damn if those people end up losing everything, every path, and live on the streets?

I don't want to live in that society.

I want the government out of it.

I would love to see people put their own money in to help.

That's what happened here.

We don't need to "teach people a harsh lesson" by making them lose their kids, their job, or their self worth. That's not how you teach. The lesson will not be learned.

What we need? Exactly what happened here, but BEFORE she had to leave her 2 kids by themselves, not AFTER.

Old 02-24-2021, 08:03 AM

19,383 posts, read 6,555,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L8Gr8Apost8 View Post
I was babysitting my infant brother at 12. I don't think this is all that outrageous. If they had a phone to call her and she was able to take calls then it's passable.
I’m with you. I started babysitting at age 11, and that included for toddlers. Is it really that bad? It’s not like she left a 3-year-old and a 5-year-old alone.

Old 02-24-2021, 08:51 AM

36,939 posts, read 31,207,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L8Gr8Apost8 View Post
I was babysitting my infant brother at 12. I don't think this is all that outrageous. If they had a phone to call her and she was able to take calls then it's passable.
I was babysitting at 12, 2 year olds to 6 year olds.
Not so long ago it was very common for young siblings to care for the younger siblings.
I honestly hope this story opens peoples eyes about the difficulties mothers face finding and affording childcare so they can work and improve their financial situation without relying on welfare.

Old 02-24-2021, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
So people will be more responsible and not putting their children in danger.
How many kids you hear about killed or molested by their childcare provider, the boyfriend, or the mother who is with them instead of working or foster parents. There is no more danger leaving a 10 year old to watch a 3 year old.

Old 02-24-2021, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
So her past crime shall go unpunished?
If you want to punish her you need to round up the father as well. Why wasn't he with the kids?
Why not address the problem, why was she compelled to leave her kids without adult supervision.

Old 02-24-2021, 11:05 AM

22,483 posts, read 29,684,148 times
At least she is at work and not partying. I give her major props for that!!!

Old 02-24-2021, 11:18 AM

19,905 posts, read 12,423,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by himain View Post
At least she is at work and not partying. I give her major props for that!!!
And our bar keeps getting lowered.

Old 02-24-2021, 11:25 AM

8,725 posts, read 7,462,300 times
I do not see an issue with it.

However, in some parts of the US, this is detrimental because seems there are issues with the lack of parenting, as one factor at least, thus leads to criminal activities by youth, carrying over into adulthood.

In any case, I do not think this is an issue to be arrested, she should have been directed in how to receive assistance to help her with this issue.

Old 02-24-2021, 11:37 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,744,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Driver 47 View Post
Yes charging her and putting her in jail would solve, what ?

Deadbeat dads leave and mom is trying to support her family. She's working. She got a hand up.That's all. Her family stays together. Foster homes suck, and there's no cost to you. Find something worth being outraged about.
Yep, this is the way I see it...its almost like people WANT her to rely on welfare/govt assistance. instead of going out and working for her own money!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies