Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2021, 09:21 PM

8,085 posts, read 5,259,986 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
I was a single parent also, I worked 3 nights a week and had my 16 year old brother stay over and watch my kids. Sometimes you just simply have to make it work.
True and you did make it work vs "aw hell ill just leave them alone!"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2021, 07:35 AM

36,588 posts, read 30,928,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LLCNYC View Post
True and you did make it work vs "aw hell ill just leave them alone!"
Well they were 6 and 3 and I was lucky enough to have family that was willing to help.
If I were in her situation, and the kids older and responsible enough I dont know that I would not have made the same decision in order to keep my job.

Old 02-25-2021, 08:28 AM

6,476 posts, read 4,086,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
Funny, just this morning, I was thinking about the first time I worked for a cruise line. On the very first day we were there, we were shown a video. The video was supposed to impress us with all of this glamour, and luxury, and being treated like kings and queens.

And I remember actually being grossed out by it all.

I also remember my very first trip to Wally World when I lived in Maine. I literally had never been to a Wal Mart before then. I got a cart, walked in, and within just a few steps, stood there in horror at the sheer level of gluttony that I saw. People's carts were overflowing with crap. I saw a guy literally climb some shelving to get something from a top shelf. Everywhere I looked, gluttony.

I left. It was too much.

What does any of that have to do with this topic? Just what I was thinking this morning about that cruise video - $10,000 a person - gosh, how many people could that help? It could mean a car for someone to expand their work search field, and get to work faster, and be able to spend more of their own time not sitting on a bus, standing at another bus stop for another bus - they'd spend about the same in gas as they would a monthly bus fare...

It could mean someone could get a spiffy suit or wardrobe for a more professional job, get their hair cut nicely, good shoes, equipment they need for that more professional job...

It could mean getting someone at least a year in college.

It could mean a lot to one person.

It could mean someone could hire a sitter so they could go to work.

It's not my money - people can spend how they wish - I just remember thinking, "Can you imagine if every one of those people gave that $10,000 per person (low end), to someone who could really benefit from it? Imagine how many people they could help. Imagine how those people could then make a difference for someone else. Just imagine..."

We live in a very consumer driven society. It's pretty sickening. Every suburb, every smaller city, town, it's the same thing: Fast food restaurants, strip malls, tire places, and warehouse stores. Spread on the outer ring are McMansions (not really mansions, but they all look the same - cookie cutter suburbia housing).

City after city after city - you will see this.

Mad that people live on welfare, but won't lift a finger to help. Yes, I know, "I already helped with my tax dollars". Rest assured most of that is wasted by government.

I know it's an "ideal" world - but wouldn't it be nice if people actually helped those who needed it, instead of relying on the government to do it, or, instead of not giving a single damn if those people end up losing everything, every path, and live on the streets?

I don't want to live in that society.

I want the government out of it.

I would love to see people put their own money in to help.

That's what happened here.

We don't need to "teach people a harsh lesson" by making them lose their kids, their job, or their self worth. That's not how you teach. The lesson will not be learned.

What we need? Exactly what happened here, but BEFORE she had to leave her 2 kids by themselves, not AFTER.
That would be cool and all except Cruises are nowhere that expensive. The low end for a cruise could be something like 30-60 dollars a day per person. You spend 10 days on the boat, it’s all inclusive your spending 300-600 dollars for that cruise. The median is probably around 800-1000 for 10 days. People think Cruises are expensive because of big boat it must be really nice. Cruises are actually some of the cheapest ways to vacation. My parents do yearly cruises almost, non of it is comparable in price to DisneyWorld or a Luxury Hotel, because they’ve no how to get deals out of an already relatively cheap form of vacationing.

Old 02-25-2021, 10:48 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,634,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NigerianNightmare View Post
That would be cool and all except Cruises are nowhere that expensive. The low end for a cruise could be something like 30-60 dollars a day per person. You spend 10 days on the boat, it’s all inclusive your spending 300-600 dollars for that cruise. The median is probably around 800-1000 for 10 days. People think Cruises are expensive because of big boat it must be really nice. Cruises are actually some of the cheapest ways to vacation. My parents do yearly cruises almost, non of it is comparable in price to DisneyWorld or a Luxury Hotel, because they’ve no how to get deals out of an already relatively cheap form of vacationing.
The catch is...it depends on where you live.

Its cheap if you happen to live within driving distance of a coastline, however, if you have to fly to reach the ships boarding location, this is where it gets expensive.

Old 02-25-2021, 02:44 PM

22,365 posts, read 29,487,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
And our bar keeps getting lowered.
And what does that mean?

Old 05-01-2021, 02:57 PM

30,306 posts, read 23,784,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NigerianNightmare View Post
If you go on Samsonite of the seas, sure, it’s cheap. The ones I worked for were not that cheap, especially the second line I worked for. Those people spent $10 grand , starting price.

Old 05-01-2021, 03:54 PM

24,026 posts, read 15,125,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swilliamsny View Post
Younger than 14??!! What kind of BS is that? Kids can get work permits at that age. But a year younger and they can't be left alone? Then we wonder how it is we're raising generations who expect everything done for them and who can't cope with anything remotely difficult or stressful.

I remember a few years back seeing an article on how Americans baby their kids too much, won't let them work through problems on their own, depriving them of needed growing experiences. It compared a French family, where an 8-year-old was making dinner, to a 12-year-old in America who wasn't allowed to use the oven by theirself. More on the extreme end, it showed children in developing countries learning to use knives and "dangerous" tools as early as age four.

I remember horrifying a neighbor when I let my 9-year-old use the band saw to cut his own Pinewood Derby car. A friend of ours let his kid have throwing knives. Yes, the kid threw one of the knives through his foot and wasn't allowed to swim for three weeks, but he's still here, learned his lesson, and has a maturity level (not only due to the knife-throwing, of course) that my own kids don't yet have. Accidents will happen when you let go, but we still need to loosen the reins for our kids. My two cents.

Doesn't mean I'm saying leave your young kids with other kids, but I don't think this is as big an issue as some think. Not ideal, but not criminal.
Like many others, my mother worked. At age 10 I came home from school called her, went to the grocery and started dinner. I was also babysitting. But I spent the prior years as my grandma's helper in the kitchen and tending to kids. I also took the bus downtown to have lunch with her. Then I went to the movies, alone. And went home with her.

My early childhood teacher DD and middle school teacher DD think kids lack of problem solving skills and initiative comes from being watched and scheduled 24/7.

Old 05-01-2021, 06:40 PM

4,023 posts, read 1,445,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
This is disgusting beyond belief!

A girl has two children she can’t afford to raise. Yet, she’s not charged for endangering her children and the children are not put up for adoption.

But people reward her behavior by donating $150,000!!!
Agree. This is the sort of thing that continues to drive society down. We praise the irresponsible and demonize responsibility.

Old 05-01-2021, 07:04 PM

33,315 posts, read 12,580,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
This is disgusting beyond belief!

A girl has two children she can’t afford to raise. Yet, she’s not charged for endangering her children and the children are not put up for adoption.

But people reward her behavior by donating $150,000!!!
Take a look at the one comment on the story that someone left on the station’s website (part of the link).

Old 05-02-2021, 01:35 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,634,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bertwrench View Post
Agree. This is the sort of thing that continues to drive society down. We praise the irresponsible and demonize responsibility.
I would like to see ANY cops try to ticket or arrest a single parent I know, for leaving their kids at home when they must go to work!!

That cop is going to wish he never went into work that day!

We grew up in the mid 80s, and were left alone sometimes if both parents had to work, but the oldest kid was 13 or 14, that is plenty old enough to be doing babysitting, so its safe enough for their siblings too.

They should publicly name the cop that harassed her, I think MANY citizens would want to give him a piece of their minds about this issue...what freaking nerve that scum bag had.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies