Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2021, 02:51 PM

29,534 posts, read 22,801,559 times

Advertisements

I don't think there will be too much sympathies or understandings for this young woman around these forum parts, but I do feel bad that in situations like this, it's a darned if you do darned if you don't kind of thing. She doesn't work and collect welfare and whatnot, she's lazy and sucks up welfare funds. She works, and she's irresponsible for leaving her two young daughters alone in a motel (why did she choose to have kids, etc. etc.).

https://www.wsls.com/news/local/2021...he-could-work/

Quote:
An Ohio mother who was arrested after leaving her kids home so she could go to work and provide for them has received an outpouring of support from across the country.

A GoFundMe account started for Shaina Bell has raised over $150,000 as of Sunday. The goal was $5,000.

Local NBC affiliate, WFMJ spoke with Shaina Bell’s mother, Danielle Hosey, who said her daughter is taken back and never expected this kind of support. Hosey said she never considered a ‘Go Fund Me’ account until receiving an outpour of messages from people wanting to help her.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2021, 02:59 PM

11,349 posts, read 11,102,045 times
The 10 year old I can see leaving, if he is mature enough. We left our son at home alone many times at that age. The 3 y/o under the watch of a 10 y/o is the issue. The article doesn't say where the father was.

Old 02-23-2021, 03:03 PM

5,086 posts, read 2,297,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
I don't think there will be too much sympathies or understandings for this young woman around these forum parts, but I do feel bad that in situations like this, it's a darned if you do darned if you don't kind of thing. She doesn't work and collect welfare and whatnot, she's lazy and sucks up welfare funds. She works, and she's irresponsible for leaving her two young daughters alone in a motel (why did she choose to have kids, etc. etc.).

Tough situation. At age 8, I was left alone with my 5- and 3-year-old sisters. Our situation differed in that our grandmother lived close to us, so I only needed to make sure we had breakfast, got dressed, and got over to grandma's house so she could get two of the three of us to school. There were many days where we walked to school on our own - about a mile - and where half the time I would make sure my sister went to class, then turn around and walk back to my empty house. I had an independent streak even back then.
That didn't last too long, though, before the teacher contacted my mom.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ditchlights View Post
The 10 year old I can see leaving, if he is mature enough. We left our son at home alone many times at that age. The 3 y/o under the watch of a 10 y/o is the issue. The article doesn't say where the father was.
Also doesn't say whether the grandmother could have been taking care of them.

Old 02-23-2021, 03:06 PM

331 posts, read 183,391 times
Where is the father?

Old 02-23-2021, 03:28 PM

78,774 posts, read 60,951,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ditchlights View Post
100% agree with you.

No doubt the helicopter parents out there almost had their brains melt upon seeing this.

Old 02-23-2021, 03:43 PM

62,019 posts, read 87,699,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
100% agree with you.

No doubt the helicopter parents out there almost had their brains melt upon seeing this.

^^^ This.

Old 02-23-2021, 05:02 PM

26,694 posts, read 14,616,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post

This is disgusting beyond belief!

A girl has two children she can’t afford to raise. Yet, she’s not charged for endangering her children and the children are not put up for adoption.

But people reward her behavior by donating $150,000!!!

Old 02-23-2021, 05:05 PM

3,882 posts, read 2,254,100 times
She had her first at 14!!! Where are the fathers?

Old 02-23-2021, 05:43 PM

5,086 posts, read 2,297,852 times
One other comment... you never know what someone else's circumstances are. I asked my first daughter's father to leave because he had cheated on me, so while I wasn't quite as young as it seems this woman is, I was 25 years old and a single mom. My ex-husband wasn't paying child support, because he was unemployed at that time.

Thankfully I had a skill that allowed me to have a work-from-home job. I don't know what I would have done otherwise. Left my then 4-year-old daughter alone? Probably not, but the alternative would have been to take every welfare dollar and subsidy I could get, until she started school and I could work an outside job.

Maybe I chose poorly with my first husband. Maybe I could have put up with the cheating. Maybe I was "unlucky" (quotes because my daughter was an absolute blessing) to have gotten pregnant so quickly, when the plan had been to wait a while.

Walk a mile before judging too harshly. Was it right to leave a three-year-old with a ten-year-old? Kind of depends on the maturity of the older kid, but in general it's a really bad idea. Still... I do feel sympathetic and can see why people would give to a GoFundMe for her.

Old 02-23-2021, 05:49 PM

15,919 posts, read 6,385,278 times
I was babysitting my infant brother at 12. I don't think this is all that outrageous. If they had a phone to call her and she was able to take calls then it's passable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies