Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2022, 08:56 AM

19,744 posts, read 10,178,060 times

Advertisements

They don't really want green vehicles. In the 1980s, Roger Billings invented an engine that would burn the hydrogen from water and leave only the oxygen as a by-product. I saw it run in a Volkswagen. He bought an old limestone cave and retreated to it after his life was threatened. He was so afraid that he quit pushing the idea and scrapped the one he had. I met him when I did some work in his house in Blue Springs Mo. before he hid in the cave.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2022, 09:00 AM

26,694 posts, read 14,608,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
When electric vehicles replace current vehicles and are, at some point, found to be more damaging to the environment, less sustainable, and generally less efficient in the long run...

A) Where will we then turn after our infrastructure for a "fossil fuel" society is long gone?

B) What kind of lame excuses will the lefties come up with to justify the huge mistake that will have been made?

A NOTE: I have nothing against, per se, electric vehicles. But the technology is not here right now to make them, firstly, affordable, and secondly, a valid replacement for ICV, jet aircraft, diesel trucks and trains, ships, etc. My opinion is that we are barking up the wrong tree. EVs are not the answer. Something else is going to have to come along to legitimately replace ICV and fossil fuel in general. And one day, someone, somewhere will come up with that solution. A really smart someone, who isn't stigmatized by politics and Chicken Little rhetoric. Until then, we are wasting our time, resources, and efforts.
Just leave this here:

The law of conservation of energy states that the total energy of any isolated system (for which energy and matter transfer through the system boundary are not possible) is constant; energy can be transformed from one form to another, but can be neither created nor destroyed.

Old 04-04-2022, 06:36 AM

10,023 posts, read 5,733,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tickyul View Post
Massive fields acting as storage-batteries for this harvested energy will be required to make
so-called renewable-energy somewhat cost effective. Overall, probably no cleaner than what we have now.

Efficiency, pretty terrible........converting one form of energy to another for storage, then back to its original form for transmission to consumers, more losses along the way.
Compare that to the energy expended distributing liquid fuel sources to fuel stations all over the landscape, not to mention how much more energy is lost to heat in a conventional ICE.

Old 04-04-2022, 07:06 AM

1,952 posts, read 834,751 times
If you race out and buy an electric vehicles NOW...this is equal to those that raced out to buy the 700 dollar VHS player or the 1000 dollar CD player. Did you also race out to buy a 1500 dollar flat screen tv as well.

Wait a while...they WILL get cheaper and probably have increased ranges.

Recognize the pattern, people.

Old 04-04-2022, 07:29 AM

8,387 posts, read 2,995,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bitey View Post
The problem with this analysis is, these changes aren't being motivated by free-market forces, they're being shoved on us by government regulators. The free market was leaning toward fuel cells before the heavy-handed bureaucrats stepped in.
And those pushing for EVs will make sure they get their share out of the EV consumer and the life of that vehicle. And it won’t be cheap. No doubt they will make sure people complain about the cost of “plugging in”.

Last edited by Leona Valley; 04-04-2022 at 07:45 AM..

Old 04-04-2022, 07:56 AM

3,661 posts, read 1,619,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
The cost to the environment and the people today when gathering those battery materials is terrible.

I saw a photo the other day that says it all. It had 4 strong looking young men with hard hats, googles and dirty jumpsuits, standing in front of an oil rig and the caption read, "this is where your gas comes from". The next photo had a bunch of children in plain filthy clothes digging in the dirt and the caption read "this is where the batteries come from for your electric car".

This is the dirty secret that the people that push for EV's are ignoring. They claim that EV's are environmentally friendly. There is nothing friendly about a strip mine with child labor, that is why we don't have them in this country. NIMBY !

The problem is the Politicians are deciding for us when the consumer should be steering the market.

Pushing EV's on us makes for a good sound bite but in reality going all in on electric is a really bad idea for many reasons.
I have to agree. At first I was all for EV's. I thought what a great idea. Until I found it that the batteries need a lot of rare earth minerals and companies are burning forests and strip mining to get those minerals.

An EV is basically a giant smartphone on wheels. Plus it still takes too long to recharge. Why the gov is pushing this so hard when batteries aren't there yet I don't know.

Old 04-04-2022, 08:48 AM

26,017 posts, read 19,001,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raider Scott View Post
If you race out and buy an electric vehicles NOW...this is equal to those that raced out to buy the 700 dollar VHS player or the 1000 dollar CD player. Did you also race out to buy a 1500 dollar flat screen tv as well.

Wait a while...they WILL get cheaper and probably have increased ranges.

Recognize the pattern, people.
Or, like the crank-up gramophone, will be replaced by something more efficient and viable using completely different and new technology. Sorry, but I just don't think electric cars is the answer for anything or any problem we now face. Of course, I could be wrong, but to me, the electric car is like the steam powered car... it's a bit of a Rube Goldberg solution. There is a much better solution waiting for someone out there to discover. Hopefully it will be discovered before an already substantial ecological problem is compounded tenfold by electric vehicles.

I think part of the problem is that leftists (and others in power) assume that "new" is always better. In this case, it really isn't "new" and it certainly isn't better.

Old 04-04-2022, 01:08 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,703 posts, read 81,547,262 times
Quote:
Or, like the crank-up gramophone, will be replaced by something more efficient and viable using completely different and new technology. Sorry, but I just don't think electric cars is the answer for anything or any problem we now face. Of course, I could be wrong, but to me, the electric car is like the steam powered car... it's a bit of a Rube Goldberg solution. There is a much better solution waiting for someone out there to discover. Hopefully it will be discovered before an already substantial ecological problem is compounded tenfold by electric vehicles.

I think part of the problem is that leftists (and others in power) assume that "new" is always better. In this case, it really isn't "new" and it certainly isn't better.
The other issue that I foresee is that the relatively cheap cost of electricity will only go up, especially at commercial charging facilities, when there are more EVs dependent upon them. So people still spending $500/month in the last year or two of payments on a new EV to save $80/month on gas will end up spending at least $80 on electricity.

Old 04-04-2022, 01:33 PM

10,023 posts, read 5,733,498 times
Quote:

If you think EVs are a Rube Goldberg solution, try comparing the number of moving parts in an ICE versus an electric motor. Just off the top of my head the engine in my car has a crankshaft, 8 pistons, 8 piston rods, 4 camshafts, 40 valves, 40 valve springs, and a timing belt. By my count that's 102 moving parts; even if it were an inline 4 with the standard 4 valves per cylinder instead of the more unusual 5 valves per cylinder like my car has, you're still looking at 40-some moving parts. And that's not even including the rest of the driveline like transmission, drive shafts, axles, differential gears, etc.

Compare that to the one moving part in an electric motor attached directly to the requisite drive axles and tell me which is the Rube Goldberg solution.

Old 04-04-2022, 01:40 PM

26,017 posts, read 19,001,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bitey View Post
If you think EVs are a Rube Goldberg solution, try comparing the number of moving parts in an ICE versus an electric motor. Just off the top of my head the engine in my car has a crankshaft, 8 pistons, 8 piston rods, 4 camshafts, 40 valves, 40 valve springs, and a timing belt. By my count that's 102 moving parts; even if it were an inline 4 with the standard 4 valves per cylinder instead of the more unusual 5 valves per cylinder like my car has, you're still looking at 40-some moving parts. And that's not even including the rest of the driveline like transmission, drive shafts, axles, differential gears, etc.

Compare that to the one moving part in an electric motor attached directly to the requisite drive axles and tell me which is the Rube Goldberg solution.
The specific engineering wasn't the intent of the post. The intent was that we are replacing one technology with another that, when all facets are considered, is no more efficient (I'm talking the technology, not engineering), no less costly, and quite likely more damaging to the environment. Besides the fact that it will stress an already overburdened power grid.

Speaking of "power grid," we are quite literally (in many cases) replacing gasoline-powered cars with coal-powered cars. Does that sound more efficient to you?

Like I said, there is a technology waiting out there. If the brains of the world would get off this electric car kick, they might discover it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies