Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-26-2022, 02:07 PM

2,985 posts, read 1,751,384 times

Advertisements

My reasonable gun laws idea:

Don't give one goddamned inch!

Old 05-26-2022, 02:20 PM

11,025 posts, read 5,991,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manigault View Post
You cited gun deaths in Chicago? The answer is yes.
What did that politician say? I ask because the standard go-to is to ban guns from law abiding folks. Or to go after gun manufactures. It's usually never about the actual cause of the violence.

Whenever I hear politicians calling for gun bannings or gun control, the image of the anti-gun politician walking along the street with her entourage of armed body guards pops into my head.

Old 05-26-2022, 02:27 PM

7,511 posts, read 4,357,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackF View Post

Old 05-26-2022, 02:29 PM

7,511 posts, read 4,357,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 303Guy View Post
What did that politician say? I ask because the standard go-to is to ban guns from law abiding folks. Or to go after gun manufactures. It's usually never about the actual cause of the violence.

Whenever I hear politicians calling for gun bannings or gun control, the image of the anti-gun politician walking along the street with her entourage of armed body guards pops into my head.

Old 05-26-2022, 02:49 PM

19,219 posts, read 17,099,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimRom View Post
Nothing in the Constitution says "these rules can be changed as times change." There is a way to ban guns placed in the Constitution, though. It takes some effort.
I've never said to ban guns but I don't accept the NRA's view that any gun, weapon or amount is acceptable either. Funny how the accusations are always that "criminals don't follow the law on guns" but here we have 2 mass shootings both done with legally purchased guns and high capacity clips plus one had body armor and not a word that something is wrong with our laws. And remember all those kids that accidentally shoot injure/kill others when they find a parents unsecured gun, those are those law abiding gun owners that they brag about.

Old 05-26-2022, 03:06 PM

11,142 posts, read 10,714,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VA Yankee View Post
I've never said to ban guns but I don't accept the NRA's view that any gun, weapon or amount is acceptable either. Funny how the accusations are always that "criminals don't follow the law on guns" but here we have 2 mass shootings both done with legally purchased guns and high capacity clips plus one had body armor and not a word that something is wrong with our laws. And remember all those kids that accidentally shoot injure/kill others when they find a parents unsecured gun, those are those law abiding gun owners that they brag about.
I don't particularly care if you want to ban guns, limit magazine size, require more hoops to buy guns, or magically make guns disappear. Until the root cause of the violence is addressed none of those will make a bit of difference - and once the root cause of violence is addressed none will be necessary. Firearm owners have compromised over and over again, with no measurable change in the numbers. And every single time, the antigun crowd comes back screaming for more compromise - yet they refuse to compromise at all. As far as I'm concerned, the antigun crowd can go pound sand. Their ideas are ineffective, mainly because they don't actually care about violence. They only care about violence committed with a firearm.

Old 05-26-2022, 03:25 PM

19,219 posts, read 17,099,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimRom View Post
I don't particularly care if you want to ban guns, limit magazine size, require more hoops to buy guns, or magically make guns disappear. Until the root cause of the violence is addressed none of those will make a bit of difference - and once the root cause of violence is addressed none will be necessary. Firearm owners have compromised over and over again, with no measurable change in the numbers. And every single time, the antigun crowd comes back screaming for more compromise - yet they refuse to compromise at all. As far as I'm concerned, the antigun crowd can go pound sand. Their ideas are ineffective, mainly because they don't actually care about violence. They only care about violence committed with a firearm.
Violence doesn't go away, mental health is a common cause but one of the most underfunded services out there, others say lock them up but you can't do that without just cause. Firearms owners really don't seem to have lost anything but what is wrong when an 18 year old can get not just a rifle but body armor, why does a private citizen need body armor? Why do they need high capacity magazines/clips?

Most people do not condone violence of any kind but todays political climate classifies everyone as us or them, if you don't sign off on everything the right says then you promote violence and everything that goes with it. To paraphrase you, "the I have a right to have my own arsenal crowd" can pound sand because their no changes mindset just keeps enabling these kinds of acts with no solutions every being offered.

Old 05-26-2022, 03:29 PM

45,421 posts, read 60,608,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VA Yankee View Post
Here's why "criminals don't follow the law" is, and will continue to be, germane to the discussion, twenty dead and wounded is considered "a slow weekend" in many cities.

But, as my very liberal, very Progressive neighbors here in GS land say, the people injured and killed there are the "wrong people" anyway.

Old 05-26-2022, 03:29 PM

23,564 posts, read 17,237,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackF View Post

the government has given us reasonable gas prices, reasonable border control, reasonable taxes, reasonable inflation and we look forward to their version of reasonable gun control.... too bad gun control laws are not enforced.

Who was that said they were coming for your guns, Beto or Buttegeig? Why don;t they start with MS-13 and other drug gangs biden is financing?

Old 05-26-2022, 03:33 PM

8,609 posts, read 2,310,456 times
great title!

Quote:
Originally Posted by swake View Post
Ideas to stop these mass shootings and gun violence in general in this country:

1. ...
26. Anyone found in possession of a gun in public or in their residence without proper license or insurance will be charged with a crime
only 26 "reasonable additional gun laws" we need?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies