Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2022, 12:27 PM

7,072 posts, read 9,619,168 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyHobkins View Post
Mexico had a mass school shooting yesterday, Norway had the worst in history. Guns illegal in both places.
Norway had someone last year kill several with a bow and arrow. Those strict gun laws in Norway did not prevent that mass shooting on the island several years ago.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2022, 01:20 PM

1,052 posts, read 798,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leona Valley View Post
Mass shootings represent far less than 1% of all gun deaths. They’re a drop in the bucket.

Those using knives kill more people annually than mass shooters.
At one point there were so many knife attacks in the UK, they banned knives.

https://www.hstoday.us/subject-matte...n-knife-crime/

Old 05-25-2022, 04:52 PM

5,059 posts, read 7,501,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YourWakeUpCall View Post
We'll never know the truth. Anti-gun nuts claim that Australia's gun ban was effective, but the reality is the rate of gun killings had been slowing prior to the ban and continued on the same trajectory after the ban was enacted. Furthermore, very few guns were actually confiscated - the vast majority remained in the hands of citizens. As such, one can't conclude that the Australian gun ban worked, but many gun haters still use it as excuse for more gun control. I don't kown anything about Scotland's gun ban, but I wouldn't be surprised if the media cherry picked and twisted data to make it appear effective. It's what the left does. If not for misinformation, the Left would have no information at all.
That is largely true, most of the pro gun people on this forum tend to think Australians simply cannot own guns, I have had to correct this more times than I care to remember.

The fact is Gun crime has never been a huge problem in Australia since we became a country, and gun ownership per capita has always been very low compared to the USA.

Saying an Australian style buyback would work in the USA, is really an apples to oranges comparison, we have never had a gun culture anything like the USA.

Old 05-25-2022, 05:15 PM

25,445 posts, read 9,805,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Layden85 View Post
I read a post that 20 years ago there was a shooting Scotland. They enacted stricter gun laws and there hasn’t been a shooting since. I read that it just doesn’t happen in Europe or Australia but then some argue it does but it isn’t reported. Can we even know the truth
I'm sure we'd hear about it if it happened. America just happens to be one gun-nut country. It's ridiculous.

Old 05-25-2022, 06:03 PM

27,143 posts, read 15,318,187 times
They happen elsewhere and with more frequency than the American "press" lets you know.
On the whole and as a percent of the world's population we are actually pretty low on this by comparison.

Old 05-25-2022, 10:13 PM

19,722 posts, read 10,124,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielsa1775 View Post
That is largely true, most of the pro gun people on this forum tend to think Australians simply cannot own guns, I have had to correct this more times than I care to remember.

The fact is Gun crime has never been a huge problem in Australia since we became a country, and gun ownership per capita has always been very low compared to the USA.

Saying an Australian style buyback would work in the USA, is really an apples to oranges comparison, we have never had a gun culture anything like the USA.
Australia has a huge black market for guns. Even your government has admitted that.

Old 05-26-2022, 12:29 AM

5,059 posts, read 7,501,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorist View Post
Australia has a huge black market for guns. Even your government has admitted that.
Of course it has, Australia is just like every other country on earth, you try and ban something and a black market develops for said banned product, however that does not mean gun crime is a massive problem. Yes we have our share of gangs/drug rings and mafia type organizations carrying illegal weapons, and their are loads of single hits on drug dealers, members of opposing gangs etc with illegal guns, however very few if any mass shootings of total strangers.

The biggest mass murder with a weapon in Australia since the 1996 (When the gun buyback occurred) was by a women in Cairns, she stabbed her own 8 children to death.

The biggest mass murders of people totally unknown to the killer since 1996 have been arson attacks, and an instance where some guy drove a car down a pedestrian mall in Melbourne.

Last edited by danielsa1775; 05-26-2022 at 01:47 AM..

Old 05-26-2022, 01:16 AM

30,976 posts, read 21,636,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kreeyax View Post
Yesterday, in Mexico:

https://nypost.com/2022/05/24/gunmen...e-at-two-bars/

We're just not hearing about all the mass murder that happens every day on this planet.
More than a dozen gunmen did the killings. So, I kiss we're supposed to feel fortunate that most mass shootings in this country are done by 1 shooter. I never heard of any in the U. S. done by as many as a dozen.

Old 05-26-2022, 05:10 AM

14,820 posts, read 12,026,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
Most of the countries in Europe have very strict gun laws so the deranged find other ways to murder. In London England several years ago they had a rash of knife attacks, a terrorist in a car running down people on a sidewalk and a bus bombing.

These things happen and still do but they are often downplayed by the US media unless a gun is used then we hear all about it because usually when a gun is used there is more carnage but the main reason we hear about the gun attacks is because it fits the Lefts Anti Gun narrative.

We are now facing, thanks to the Dems defund the Police soft on crime stance a dangerous rise in violent crime and more good people are buying guns to protect themselves. Good luck to Biden in going after these guns and taking them.

Violence happens all over the planet, there are still shootings and bombings in the Middle East it is just that we do not hear about it.
Levels of knife crime between the US and the UK is actually very similar, gun crime however is hundreds of times more likely in the US................I wonder why that is?

Old 05-26-2022, 05:16 AM

14,820 posts, read 12,026,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesjuke View Post
They happen elsewhere and with more frequency than the American "press" lets you know.
On the whole and as a percent of the world's population we are actually pretty low on this by comparison.
Absolute nonsense!:-

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/world/t...lane-rcna30446

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-41488081

There have been over 222 mass shootings in the USA over the last year, in the UK there has been 0, zero, nothing, da nada, zilch, nowt, nought, none.

It doesn't take a genius to see that its pretty un-comparable!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies