Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is America broke because corproate America went woke???
Yes 50 56.82%
No 35 39.77%
Unsure 3 3.41%
Voters: 88. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2022, 09:27 AM

29,856 posts, read 24,972,157 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hooligan View Post
America != Corporate America

Your poll makes no sense.

I never said Corporate America was America. They certainly are part of it though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2022, 09:27 AM

4,437 posts, read 7,682,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
I will never understand why a company would deliberately decide to alienate half their client base. I think all companies wanting to stay competitive should stay out of social/cultural politics.
Even when the client base may be wrong!

So, a "client base," in the 1960s, that prefers a company not serve certain people. So, a Woolworth's finally deciding to integrate, and serve all customers at the lunch counter, is "alienating a client base," and going woke.....!

Old 06-10-2022, 09:29 AM

187 posts, read 115,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
I would think so, too. Just keep talking about how sudsy your laundry soap is.

But apparently market watchers and advertising execs don't see it that way, and maybe they're right.

Certainly CocaCola had a profitable campaign way back in 1971 with "I want to teach the world to sing" campaign. It's soda pop, for God's sake, yet the message was, "I'd like to see the world for once All standing hand in hand And hear them echo through the hills For peace throughout the land"

So there is precedent, for companies to glom on to social movements to sell their completely unrelated products.

Little bit of a difference between "teaching the world to sing" and "teaching children it's okay to be mentally-ill and carve out your genitals". Look what happened to Netflix. I believe this will soon start happening to other companies who feel the need to advertise to micro minority life-styles.

Old 06-10-2022, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scatman View Post
Even when the client base may be wrong!

So, a "client base," in the 1960s, that prefers a company not serve certain people. So, a Woolworth's finally deciding to integrate, and serve all customers at the lunch counter, is "alienating a client base," and going woke.....!

"Woke" wasn't around in the 1960s. Democrats were horribly racist back then though. They still are today, but their racism is now much more subtle.

I think the whole woke culture is actually a continuation of democrat's traditional racist roots. The intended targets may change, but that's irrelevant. Marxists like to categorize and divide people up. They then work to agitate these groups and turn them against one another. While the people are busy fighting each other, the Marxists are able to gain an upper hand and eventual control. It's a very simple and effective plan that has worked in many places around the world. It depends on willing useful idiots. I never expected corporate America to fill that role, but they are doing a good job of it. Too bad the reward will suck for most all of them. But everyone imagines they will be the winner in a revolution.

Old 06-10-2022, 09:50 AM

28,343 posts, read 16,416,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post
I never said Corporate America was America. They certainly are part of it though.
You sure seemed to say that:

Quote:
They say that when you go woke, you go broke. Well corporate America went woke. Is that why America is broke?

Old 06-10-2022, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hooligan View Post
You sure seemed to say that:

Allow me to clarify... Corporate America is part of the whole. Not the whole in of itself. I didn't think this needed to be stated, as most Americans already know this. But there it is for everyone else.

Old 06-10-2022, 09:58 AM

52,349 posts, read 52,808,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
I will never understand why a company would deliberately decide to alienate half their client base. I think all companies wanting to stay competitive should stay out of social/cultural politics.
That is exactly the same questions I have. Also when they do cater to social issues, most of the time even then it's just a smallish vocal minority that scream at the top of their lungs on twitter.

So it's probably even more than half potentially that they could be alienating.

Every one references Michael Jordan's comment about Republicans buy sneakers too, but it's true. Just sell your widgets and if you want to do social issues, take politically neutral issues such as cancer awareness and things along that order.

Big corporations are starting to realize this, at least it seems that way, Netflix and a few others have seen the crap that Disney has pulled and is going through.

Most of the time these CEO's and their boards of shareholders don't really give a crap about it anyway, just lip service and once the bottom line starts to take a beating things will quietly turn around.

Green is the only color they care about, and no, not that green.

Old 06-10-2022, 09:59 AM

4,239 posts, read 2,475,504 times
Nope. Marvel as a franchise is extremely "woke," yet extremely profitable. Corporations would not be going "woke" if doing so were not profitable.

Old 06-10-2022, 10:01 AM

35,760 posts, read 21,126,227 times
Quote:
They say that when you go woke, you go broke. Well corporate America went woke. Is that why America is broke?
Omg the world does not turn on our culture wars. Geesh. Arrogant thinking.

Old 06-10-2022, 10:04 AM

28,343 posts, read 16,416,786 times
Quote:
Allow me to clarify... Corporate America is part of the whole. Not the whole in of itself. I didn't think this needed to be stated, as most Americans already know this. But there it is for everyone else.
As I said, your poll is nonsensical.

And that's leaving completely aside what your definition of "America" and "broke" might be.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies