Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2022, 11:30 AM

5,632 posts, read 1,781,855 times

Advertisements

We tried to tell them inflation would rise even faster, putting people further behind in the end.

Welp here we are. Real wages falling. Inflation raging past wages the likes of which some people have never experienced in their lifetimes.

Young people never understand economics, until it comes around and bites them in the ass. And if they are Democrats, they never learn even after theirs asses have been completely chewed off.

Remember this all next time someone comes up with the brilliant idea to raise the minimum wage to $50/hr to fix everything.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2022, 12:03 PM

24,783 posts, read 17,516,872 times
I remember because it was not that long ago. The Left was telling us that someone working at McDonalds needed to make a "living wage". They settled on $15 per hour as the new mini and that is why a meal at Mcdonalds is $10+ . My wife and I were out and about around lunch time a few weeks back and we had a hankering for some fries. I don't like McDonalds but it was right there so we pulled in, placed our order and $23 later we were both asking why did we just do that for this gross food?

During all the crazy times when the Dems were demanding the $15 per hour we asked a very Liberal Trump hating friend if he would pay his employees in his small shop that much and he said, no way I would go out of business, well last year he was paying more than that due to the market rate of decent help.

Pretty much all the raises that people got have been eaten up by inflation and then some.

I really believe that half of our elected in DC would fail at running a lemonade stand.

Old 06-10-2022, 12:04 PM

1,889 posts, read 1,017,051 times
Yeah, no. Wages are not the driver of inflation. They respond to it, and often slowly. The pandemic, WFH, and a general ****-it attitude sped things along.

Owners like slaves to blame each other for their problems. You're doing their dirty work.

Old 06-10-2022, 12:13 PM

79,059 posts, read 61,211,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haksel257 View Post
Yeah, no. Wages are not the driver of inflation. They respond to it, and often slowly. The pandemic, WFH, and a general ****-it attitude sped things along.

Owners like slaves to blame each other for their problems. You're doing their dirty work.
Like when they bring in illegal workers by the million, undercut wages and then call the people that complain racist deplorables.

Just some food for thought.

Old 06-10-2022, 12:15 PM

26,298 posts, read 19,202,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephan A Smith View Post
Remember when people claimed raising everyone's wages would be good for the economy?
Yep. And remember how batty they went when we told them that?

But do you think they are going to admit they were wrong? Nope. They will double down. And when things go to double hell, they will triple down. Etc.

Old 06-10-2022, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
I remember because it was not that long ago. The Left was telling us that someone working at McDonalds needed to make a "living wage". They settled on $15 per hour as the new mini and that is why a meal at Mcdonalds is $10+ . My wife and I were out and about around lunch time a few weeks back and we had a hankering for some fries. I don't like McDonalds but it was right there so we pulled in, placed our order and $23 later we were both asking why did we just do that for this gross food?

During all the crazy times when the Dems were demanding the $15 per hour we asked a very Liberal Trump hating friend if he would pay his employees in his small shop that much and he said, no way I would go out of business, well last year he was paying more than that due to the market rate of decent help.

Pretty much all the raises that people got have been eaten up by inflation and then some.

I really believe that half of our elected in DC would fail at running a lemonade stand.
Spot on. Paying entry level jobs meant to be part time work or an initial start at employment high dollars has more of a negative effect in the end.

We try to educate liberals on this, but they never understand basic economics.

Old 06-10-2022, 12:23 PM

1,889 posts, read 1,017,051 times
Quote:
Spot on. Paying entry level jobs meant to be part time work or an initial start at employment high dollars has more of a negative effect in the end.

We try to educate liberals on this, but they never understand basic economics.
Economics is complicated, and you're simplifying it. Inflation would've happened regardless. Taken to its logical opposite, would wage cuts across the board (starting with yours, of course) reverse this inflation? Not exactly. It would have an effect, but not nearly as large as the other way around. Because there is inherent top-down predation set up all over the system.

So when you say "raising wages causes inflation" (implying it is the sole driver), you are saying to a battered housewife "you get hit because you make him angry". Which I suppose is technically true, but absolutely misguided and decontextualized.

Old 06-10-2022, 12:25 PM

41,015 posts, read 18,351,752 times
Quote:
We tried to tell them inflation would rise even faster, putting people further behind in the end.

Welp here we are. Real wages falling. Inflation raging past wages the likes of which some people have never experienced in their lifetimes.

Young people never understand economics, until it comes around and bites them in the ass. And if they are Democrats, they never learn even after theirs asses have been completely chewed off.

Remember this all next time someone comes up with the brilliant idea to raise the minimum wage to $50/hr to fix everything.
Bingo…It’s obvious few ever took an economics class, and certainly obvious these same folks didn’t pay attention in history class. Hopefully those that voted for this clown show are suffering the most.

Old 06-10-2022, 12:26 PM

29,988 posts, read 25,118,669 times
Wages have always been rising. OP, do you think falling wages will be better for America?

Old 06-10-2022, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post
Wages have always been rising. OP, do you think falling wages will be better for America?
Predictable and slowly rising wages are the best.

Rapid, artificially juiced up wage increases lead to disaster.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies