Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2022, 09:15 PM

32,218 posts, read 15,196,648 times

Advertisements

Many drugs come from plants. Just legalize them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2022, 09:20 PM

1,383 posts, read 487,965 times
Fining with perhaps a minimal prison sentence for continued use. People say that all narcotics should be legal but do they know what that entails? Drugs like PCP, Flakka and bath salts are known to make people very aggressive and hostile towards others. Has anyone here seen pictures of what Krokodil does to the human body? It's horrendous.

Old 06-11-2022, 09:24 PM

3,164 posts, read 2,754,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stone28 View Post
I'd prefer the liberterian position. Legalize all drugs for adults 21 and over.

If people want to do drugs they are going to do them if they are legal or illegal.
California is going through this right now.

The legal businesses are being taxed and regulated to the point that they can't compete with the street dealers. Drugs aren't like other commodities that can be sold on a mass scale to the public. They'll always be a dirty street business.

Re-hab is a waste of time and money. Don't start using to begin with. Does anyone really need to be told that playing around with drugs is dangerous? And enough of the "I overcame addiction. It was so hard. I'm a hero now because I stopped doing stupid sh*t I shouldn't have been doing to begin with". They don't deserve applause or admiration. Make them go back and make restitution to every single person they stole from/harmed in their days as a junkie.

Lock 'em up!

Last edited by tommy64; 06-11-2022 at 09:33 PM..

Old 06-11-2022, 09:30 PM

17,873 posts, read 14,906,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stone28 View Post
I'd prefer the liberterian position. Legalize all drugs for adults 21 and over.

If people want to do drugs they are going to do them if they are legal or illegal.

Know the consequences and make your own decision. Who is the government to tell us what we can and can not put into our body's?
This.

Old 06-11-2022, 10:03 PM

398 posts, read 209,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaso112233 View Post
Most Americans want hard drug users to suffer some penalties for doing hard drugs as do mlst Europeans and acanadians (obviously)
To people who want hard drugs decrminalizationed:

1) Should forced drug rehab and or forced drug diversion therapy be a penalty for hard drug offenses instead of no penalty at all
2) Should house arrest be a penalty for hard drug offenses instead of no penalty at all?
3) Should technical incarceration be a penalty instead of no penalty at all?
4) Should something more than a fine be a penalty for hard drug offenses instead of no penalty at all?
5) Should community service with a suspended sentence be a penalty for hard drug offenses instead of no penalty at all

Hard drug users need SOME penalty
What about alcoholism ? In the United States, nearly 14 million adults, or every one in 13 adults, abuse alcohol or have an alcoholism problem.

Its the same damn thing. Alcohol is absolutely a 'hard drug'.

Old 06-11-2022, 10:09 PM

398 posts, read 209,087 times
And the drug war was a total failure.

Just gave us stronger drugs, fentanyl, and gangs and crime.

"In 2001, Portugal became the first country in the world to decriminalize the consumption of all drugs...

In Portugal, meanwhile, the drug-induced death rate has plummeted to five times lower than the E.U. average and stands at one-fiftieth of the United States’. Its rate of HIV infection has dropped from 104.2 new cases per million in 2000 to 4.2 cases per million in 2015. Drug use has declined overall among the 15- to 24-year-old population, those most at risk of initiating drug use."

https://time.com/longform/portugal-d...iminalization/

Old 06-11-2022, 10:16 PM

11,180 posts, read 10,766,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
I was RIGHT THERE WITH YOU, until the last bolded sentence. What the hell? Why do you COMPLETELY pivot, your entire drug stance, with PCP and meth?
Meth especially. It is not a natural drug and has no function outside of making you have less IQ than an avocado. Natural derivative drugs such as cocaine and heroin have a legitimate use.

Old 06-11-2022, 11:19 PM

8,455 posts, read 12,228,850 times
Quote:
Most Americans want hard drug users to suffer some penalties for doing hard drugs as do mlst Europeans and acanadians (obviously)
To people who want hard drugs decrminalizationed:

1) Should forced drug rehab and or forced drug diversion therapy be a penalty for hard drug offenses instead of no penalty at all
2) Should house arrest be a penalty for hard drug offenses instead of no penalty at all?
3) Should technical incarceration be a penalty instead of no penalty at all?
4) Should something more than a fine be a penalty for hard drug offenses instead of no penalty at all?
5) Should community service with a suspended sentence be a penalty for hard drug offenses instead of no penalty at all

Please read the libertarian Cato Institute report on the Portuguese decriminalization of drugs. It is eye-opening.

https://www.cato.org/white-paper/dru...drug-policies#

Old 06-11-2022, 11:28 PM

10,130 posts, read 19,932,790 times
Quote:
Well, they die in fairly large numbers due to overdose, so there is that. Many realize that risk and still do it (power of addiction). So it's not like a government imposed penalty will really help. And it's kind of nanny-state to punish individual users. Now dealers, that's a different story. Drug producers, smugglers, again different stories. The penalties need to be aimed there, not at the poor schmucks who get addicted by them.

Or make it all legal, tax it, regulate and make sure it is safe (at a reasonable dose.) Then it becomes like alcohol, where overuse is the responsibility of the consumer. With some exceptions like bars that over serve, or adults who give it to minors.

Old 06-12-2022, 12:23 AM

234 posts, read 162,901 times
I am a former heroin/coke addict, used to inject daily all day long. I never stole from anyone to get my fix but I did sell on the street to other users as a way to make money for my addiction. Rehab/jail will not stop someone from continuing to use. One has to really want to be through with that ****, to get and stay clean.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies