Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2022, 07:39 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,727,216 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrCoffee57 View Post
No heroin is not by nature more dangerous than Perocets. It’s far safer. What makes heroin more dangerous is that it’s illegal with no quality or dosage guarantees and the fact most junkies administer it via IV.

And you missed the point. Why are so many Americans and not Europeans addicted to Opioids? Because doctors in the USA were giving it out like candy. Americans are babies when it comes to pain.
Heroin/opium has been popular for decades!

The Chinese were the first to bring it to the US, they had their Opium dens, but over the years, others started using it, in the 1970s, blacks were associated with Heroin, (today, its white people mostly).

See how this changes over the years?

The pharma industry got a lot of people hooked, but that isnt anything new, as I said before, opium has been in demand for decades, centuries actually. Wars have been fought over opium...that isnt going to stop anytime soon.

If you really want someone to blame...it would be the Chinese.

Its the way opium/opioids make the user feel, (its incredible), thats why its been so popular for centuries.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2022, 08:05 AM

16,008 posts, read 6,699,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
If you really want someone to blame...it would be the Chinese.
If you believe that, you really need to read up on the Opium Wars in China.

https://asiapacificcurriculum.ca/lea...ium-wars-china

Old 06-12-2022, 08:18 AM

37,558 posts, read 19,425,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjshae View Post
I think that once you're strongly addicted to a powerfully mind-altering substance you've essentially lost part of what makes you a responsible adult. At that point, if you're a danger to society then the government needs to step in. Logically, it's reasonable for the government to prevent that in the first place.
They already tried that with the 18th Amendment.

Old 06-12-2022, 09:17 AM

1,203 posts, read 624,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjshae View Post
If you believe that, you really need to read up on the Opium Wars in China.

https://asiapacificcurriculum.ca/lea...ium-wars-china
The Chinese got screwed by the west with regards to opium. They were the victims. Their government tried to deal with the opium epidemic and they get invaded but the British got their tea and silks.

Old 06-12-2022, 10:25 AM

4,641 posts, read 2,342,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stone28 View Post
I'd prefer the liberterian position. Legalize all drugs for adults 21 and over.

If people want to do drugs they are going to do them if they are legal or illegal.

Know the consequences and make your own decision. Who is the government to tell us what we can and can not put into our body's?
Ditto. Legalize them all. Stiffen the penalties for committing crimes while on drugs. Drug use cannot be an excuse for bad behavior.

Old 06-12-2022, 10:35 AM

4,641 posts, read 2,342,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrCoffee57 View Post
Sleeping medication is a great example of harmful drugs that have no business being prescribed.

Meta-analysis of RCTs for imidazopyridine agonists (of which Zolpidem/Ambien would be one) show that the maximum benefit is they allow you to fall asleep 10-15 minutes faster, are ineffective after 2 weeks, and lead to dependence.
As someone who has chronic insomnia since I was a child, I can tell you that ambien saved me and it is not ineffective after 10 + years. I do not abuse it. I have never driven on it.

Old 06-12-2022, 10:36 AM

13,635 posts, read 21,459,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe the Photog View Post
Legalize them. All of them, as posted above, 21 and over.
I support marijuana being legal but not opiates. Opiates are absolutely destructive.

Old 06-12-2022, 10:46 AM

13,635 posts, read 21,459,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaso112233 View Post
Most Americans want hard drug users to suffer some penalties for doing hard drugs as do mlst Europeans and acanadians (obviously)
To people who want hard drugs decrminalizationed:

1) Should forced drug rehab and or forced drug diversion therapy be a penalty for hard drug offenses instead of no penalty at all
2) Should house arrest be a penalty for hard drug offenses instead of no penalty at all?
3) Should technical incarceration be a penalty instead of no penalty at all?
4) Should something more than a fine be a penalty for hard drug offenses instead of no penalty at all?
5) Should community service with a suspended sentence be a penalty for hard drug offenses instead of no penalty at all

Hard drug users need SOME penalty
1 Rehab offers a way better choice than incarceration.

2 not every addict has a home to go to

3 technical incarceration?, not sure what is

4 addicts hardly ever can pay a fine, they have no money and any money they have goes to the habit, so they get arrested again for breaking probation.

5 community service can be helpful but what they really need is a support line to help defeat the habit and become self functioning people again.

I know a couple people who won the battle of opiate addiction because they saw friends dying and it scared them enough, and also they adopted a dog or cat which gave them emotional support AND one person told me "I love that dog so much knowing he is waiting for me to come home and depends on me, anytime I had a urge to relapse I remembered that dog waiting for me and how I would loose him if I relapsed".

Jail and prison time does little to help a addict, what matters is what they have waiting for them when they get out, hope, a goal, family and friends support, and a reason to live. But that is what we all need right?

Old 06-12-2022, 11:54 AM

8,455 posts, read 12,235,231 times
For those who did not read the libertarian study on Portugal's decriminalization of drugs, let me give you a brief summary:
Quote:
Decriminalizing drug possession and providing users with treatment rather than jail time helped cut teen drug use and the number of people seeking treatment doubled in Portugal, according to a new study from the libertarian Cato Institute. Time magazine reported April 26 that Portugal decriminalized all drugs, including cocaine and heroin, in 2001. Instead of jail, people found in possession of drugs are sent to an assessment panel that can recommend — but not require — that they get addiction treatment.
https://drugfree.org/drug-and-alcoho...s-in-portugal/

Portugal also did not become a drug use haven as some had predicted. So there is empirical evidence that treating addicts instead of locking them up saves a lot of tax money and may destroy the illegal drug economy.

Old 06-12-2022, 01:10 PM

35,845 posts, read 21,247,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HansProof View Post
The problem isn't drugs, it's what people do to get money for drugs.

I'm for bringing back hard labor "rehab". Chain-gangs digging street ditches. I want to see a sheriff on horseback sporting a shotgun, cowboy hat, and mirrored aviators.

Slow roll the children by as a reminder of what not to be.

Why are we putting people away for decades when a few years of pounding rocks cures so much???
Omg. Chain gangs. Really ? How about let the petty drug dealers out. The street boys selling weed and give them training to work. No option and erase the credit bureau once they show a real change. The are really bad people need to stay locked up. Addicts need rehab
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies