Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-24-2022, 09:30 AM

29,577 posts, read 19,683,964 times

Advertisements

I never quite understood how the 14th amendment applied to women having a Constitutional right to an abortion.

35,770 posts, read 21,130,870 times
Did they just rule on it?? It’s going to backfire horribly. Very sad day for women in America.

Supreme Court overturns Roe v. Wade, ending right to abortion upheld for decades

https://www.npr.org/2022/06/24/11023...ision-overturn

Last edited by Ibginnie; 06-24-2022 at 05:44 PM..

1,438 posts, read 781,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oklazona Bound View Post
There are 13 states that have abortion ban trigger laws already on the books. They now take effect. So I am not sure what you are talking about. Another 13 or so states are ready to pass laws banning abortions.

13 States Have Abortion Trigger Bans—Here's What Happens When Roe Is Overturned

Arkansas, Idaho, Kentucky, Louisiana, Mississippi, Missouri, North Dakota, Oklahoma, South Dakota, Tennessee, Texas, Utah, and Wyoming.
Many of these states are among those with the lowest rates of average income, highest rates of child poverty and out of wedlock births. More children that will need taxpayer support is exactly what they need.

Old 06-24-2022, 09:31 AM

18,739 posts, read 7,640,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ansible90 View Post
A lot has already changed in many states. Did you forget about the trigger laws that went into affect this morning when the SC announced their decision on Roe v Wade? Then there are the states that left their old abortion restriction laws on the books after Roe was decided.
Yep.

Laws which each of those states are now free to modify and repeal if their people want them to, finally without illegal Federal interference.

Freedom. What a concept, eh?

Old 06-24-2022, 09:32 AM

19,061 posts, read 12,749,927 times
Live now:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=afudSOlsSl0

Old 06-24-2022, 09:32 AM

14,015 posts, read 5,658,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arya Stark View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Volobjectitarian View Post
The Declaration of Independence doesn't confer rights either. Read the Preamble again:Get your head around this very simple concept: Governments do not grant rights. Existence itself grants your rights, and all governments can do is either secure/protect/defend them, or abuse/abridge/violate them.
Whatever, you know what I was saying.
I do, but I am very very nitpicky here, because as Hamilton warned in the Federalist Papers, if we are not very clear on where rights come from, tyrants will get to making tyrannical mischief.

Not trying to insult you, just using your post and my reply as PSA's on behalf of Hamilton's very prescient, proper objections.

Old 06-24-2022, 09:33 AM

9,495 posts, read 5,277,796 times
It will now be up to the individual states to decide how they will handle the 'issue' of abortion as it always should have been. It will be up to the voters in each state to elect to office legislators who will implement the will of the people. A balance has been restored despite the hysteria that will no doubt ensue.

There was never a constitutional right to an abortion. For those who disagree, read the decision.

What is disgusting is Nancy Pelosi (the good Catholic) getting out there saying "we will not let this pass," because in her opinion, this decision is a mistake. sigh

All on the ballot in November indeed, Nancy. I hope you are relegated to the dustbin of history.

Old 06-24-2022, 09:36 AM

19,061 posts, read 12,749,927 times
The funniest part of the hysterical leftists screaming at people to vote blue in November is that when it turns out to be a red tsunami, GOP can claim a mandate for anti-abortion, pro-guns, anti-government agency regulation.

I'd say 2022 will have been a fantastic year, but then again we haven't seen how many buildings the left will set on fire or how many people they're going to shoot in their lunatic rage

Democracy for Democrats = When things go 100% my way

Old 06-24-2022, 09:37 AM

16,579 posts, read 10,686,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oklazona Bound View Post
There are 13 states that have abortion ban trigger laws already on the books. They now take effect. So I am not sure what you are talking about. Another 13 or so states are ready to pass laws banning abortions.

13 States Have Abortion Trigger Bans—Here's What Happens When Roe Is Overturned

Arkansas, Idaho, Kentucky, Louisiana, Mississippi, Missouri, North Dakota, Oklahoma, South Dakota, Tennessee, Texas, Utah, and Wyoming.
(From the linked article)

Idaho:

Exceptions [to an abortion ban]: Pregnant person’s life is in danger, provider performs medical treatment that accidentally terminates a pregnancy, or pregnant person is a victim of rape or incest and has reported the incident to law enforcement.

Utah:

Exceptions: Pregnant person’s life is in danger or at risk of substantial and irreversible impairment of a major bodily function, lethal fetal abnormality is found, or pregnant person is a victim of rape or incest and has reported the incident to law enforcement.

I would bet that the vast majority of abortion opponents would agree to these exceptions. And a fair number of people who currently want to keep abortion legal might support a ban if it included these exceptions. States that want to ban abortion would get a lot more support from a lot more of their citizens if they include these exceptions.

Old 06-24-2022, 09:38 AM

35,770 posts, read 21,130,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roboteer View Post
Yep.

Laws which each of those states are now free to modify and repeal if their people want them to, finally without illegal Federal interference.

Freedom. What a concept, eh?
Freedoms only for some. That’s where we are going. Some expletive Governors do not even want birth control pills etc. Think we could not afford food and over populated now - dummies are setting us up for third world status with more poverty, homelessness and hunger. Prepare those hospitals - child abuse, sad to say, will be rampant.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.