Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2022, 12:52 PM

30,902 posts, read 33,021,357 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by anononcty View Post
The biggest issue is the many in those 2 establishment actually think the US is a two party system. It's not. We need more third parties or it will be more of the sos.
I'm 100% for this. The two-party system has made everthing into a football game. "How do 'we' 'win'?" It also gives us fewer options, because the two parties are now so extreme that you really can't go with the opposite party even if you're dissatisfied with your own.

We need a solid third option.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2022, 12:54 PM

30,902 posts, read 33,021,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FKD19124 View Post
Abortion up to the time of birth is legal in 8 democrat states. Cuomo was the last to sign such legislation.

https://www.dailywire.com/news/these...ords&hsa_ver=3
This ability is reserved for emergencies; for the most extreme and nearly unheard-of cases. And even then, generally, they're births - not abortions. If you're forced to no longer be pregnant a few short weeks before the due date, you'll either go through labor or have a c-section...and the baby will be born.

In practical/actual terms, abortions at 31 weeks or later account for zero percent of abortions in the U.S. https://www.motherjones.com/kevin-dr...-of-pregnancy/ (Data is from the CDC.)

Old 07-08-2022, 01:05 PM

5,632 posts, read 1,770,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElectronicOverlord View Post
I gave a rep, as a troublesome not-quite-middle-aged old-school liberal. Maybe also since I grew up pretty darn close to WI, so I'll be an ally (as long as the topic isn't sports).
Tom Brady = G.O.A.T. !!!

Old 07-08-2022, 01:13 PM

2,953 posts, read 994,276 times
Democrat party : I have a problem with them in the manner and degree to which you would have a problem with the bubonic plague. That party is a toxic curse on this country. What they haven't broken yet will soon be broken. It can't be blamed on bad decision making either. Children make some bad decisions due to their inability to foresee cause and effect and appreciate the gravity of consequences. Their choices are therefore more or less random. Some darts hit the wall and others are near the bulls-eye. The democrats are not random. Every single decision they've made and action they've taken has been terrible for America and Americans. This can't be passed off as poor decision making or ignorance. When you see statistical clustering like this you have to quit looking at it as the hand of random chance and conclude that it's intentional and engineered. For whatever reason that only history will reveal, they are trying to destroy America. ... So yeah. Bubonic plague.

Republican party : Too many old school swampy guys there like McConnell and Cornyn. A conservative veneer over machine politicians. I have a big problem with their embrace of the extremist element on abortion. The zero abortion stance is the poison pill of the GOP. That alone is the thing that puts bu11$h!t to the claim that they are the party of personal freedom. I want the party to pull the eject handle on these zero-abortion ideologues. If that could be accomplished the democrat party would become obsolete. Also temporarily speaking I have a big problem with Trump still lurking around in the wings. He needs to be gone. He lost us the last election and saddled us with the retarded Marxists we have today and he'll do it to us again in '24. GOP needs to stop being so servile to the cult of Trump.

Old 07-08-2022, 01:13 PM

11,223 posts, read 8,310,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephan A Smith View Post
You may have not met them, but they are already in power and already voted for it. Luckily it did not pass.

Backlash builds after Dems vote to legalize abortion up to birth

"Senate Democrats are facing pushback after they voted last week in favor of a bill that would legalize abortion nationwide for all nine months of pregnancy."
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephan A Smith View Post
I can't believe you are this unaware.

They are already in power and already voted for it. How can you be unaware of what Democrat politicians in the Senate voted in favor of?

Backlash builds after Dems vote to legalize abortion up to birth

"Senate Democrats are facing pushback after they voted last week in favor of a bill that would legalize abortion nationwide for all nine months of pregnancy."
One of the the things you are exhibiting here, that PARTISANS on BOTH SIDES do, is twisting words.

Both I, and Greywar stated that we don't know anyone who supports this, and your response was to give an example of people who do. Technically accurate, someone supports it, even some extremist Democrats, but that does not indicate that it is mainstream (it ignores my point that it actually undermines centrist) idea.

You are doing what most people who have responded have said is the #1 problem, and that is to twist words around to create division.

Painting the entire DNC as supporters of Abortion at any time is no more accurate than painting the entire GOP as "willing to overturn the will of the people to stay in power". There are examples of both. While the GOP example is much more prevelant because so many people believe Trump and the Biased media, neither is accurate, or representative of the majory.

Old 07-08-2022, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myghost View Post
One of the the things you are exhibiting here, that PARTISANS on BOTH SIDES do, is twisting words.

Both I, and Greywar stated that we don't know anyone who supports this, and your response was to give an example of people who do. Technically accurate, someone supports it, even some extremist Democrats, but that does not indicate that it is mainstream (it ignores my point that it actually undermines centrist) idea.

You are doing what most people who have responded have said is the #1 problem, and that is to twist words around to create division.

Painting the entire DNC as supporters of Abortion at any time is no more accurate than painting the entire GOP as "willing to overturn the will of the people to stay in power". There are examples of both. While the GOP example is much more prevelant because so many people believe Trump and the Biased media, neither is accurate, or representative of the majory.
No twisting at all. The elected Democrats in the Senate voted for the exact thing people are claiming no one is supporting. If no one is supporting it then there would not have been a vote on it in the Senate and all those Democrat Senators would not have voted for it.

Besides, I'm a 3rd party voting Independent. Not partisan to one side or the other. Being aware that the crazies on one side have more power than the crazies on the other side does not make one partisan. It makes one alert, aware and honest.

Old 07-08-2022, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anononcty View Post
The biggest issue is the many in those 2 establishment actually think the US is a two party system. It's not. We need more third parties or it will be more of the sos.
It won't work. It will never work. In a winner-take-all system the voting patterns inevitably gravitate towards a two-party system. A "protest vote" for a third party that cannot ever get a majority of the vote is rightly seen as a wasted vote and sooner or later even the most principled butthead libertarian (or whatever) either gives up voting or holds their nose and chooses the lesser of the two evils of the two majority parties. See Duverger's Law. We would need proportional representation to make a third party viable.

Old 07-08-2022, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wee-Bey View Post
It won't work. It will never work. In a winner-take-all system the voting patterns inevitably gravitate towards a two-party system. A "protest vote" for a third party that cannot ever get a majority of the vote is rightly seen as a wasted vote and sooner or later even the most principled butthead libertarian (or whatever) either gives up voting or holds their nose and chooses the lesser of the two evils of the two majority parties. See Duverger's Law. We would need proportional representation to make a third party viable.
Or eliminate party identifiers completely.

Old 07-08-2022, 01:29 PM

1,881 posts, read 652,239 times
Disclosure: Am a refugee from communism, an emigre to the US, a naturalized citizen, and a veteran.

The problem that I have with the Left is their tendency towards Marxism. I served during the Cold War. I pulled Victor Alert duty where I actually touched a B61 free fall nuclear bomb on an F-111E. Never in those yrs I thought I would see Marxism openly celebrated in the US Congress.

The problem that I have with the Right is how much their political platform attracts the racists. I understand the history of racism in America and how much the Democratic Party was involved in that history. But this is the present and even though am willing to give some credit to the Right in trying exorcising racists from the ranks, somehow a few always got caught.

Old 07-08-2022, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roderic View Post
Disclosure: Am a refugee from communism, an emigre to the US, a naturalized citizen, and a veteran.

The problem that I have with the Left is their tendency towards Marxism. I served during the Cold War. I pulled Victor Alert duty where I actually touched a B61 free fall nuclear bomb on an F-111E. Never in those yrs I thought I would see Marxism openly celebrated in the US Congress.

The problem that I have with the Right is how much their political platform attracts the racists. I understand the history of racism in America and how much the Democratic Party was involved in that history. But this is the present and even though am willing to give some credit to the Right in trying exorcising racists from the ranks, somehow a few always got caught.
That might have been true in the past but now the left is by far the most racist. Their divisive identity politics and obsession with racial preference is a toxic form of racism like we haven't seen in our lifetimes. America is far more racially divided than it was 15-20 years ago an it's due to the left's racial balkanization.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies