Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2022, 08:01 AM

19,204 posts, read 27,838,738 times

Advertisements

"It does not matter
How they vote.
What matters
Is how votes are counted"
Joseph Stalin
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2022, 08:15 AM

1,517 posts, read 545,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kell490 View Post
Republicans and Democrats have agreed to overhaul the act which will clarify the Vice Presidents role in the electoral certification.

https://www.cnn.com/2022/07/14/polit...ors/index.html

There's been a lot of lessons learned and one of those lessons is don't wait until January to make your move. The new game is to have the state legislators overturn the vote and elect the slate of candidates (electoral college) that will vote. All of this will be possible when this vigilante SCOTUS votes on Moore v Harper next year.

Old 07-17-2022, 08:26 AM

28,343 posts, read 16,466,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seguinite View Post
Fair point. But there are factions from both sides that are actively trying to redefine 'reality'.
Oh, there are full-blown crazies on both sides of the aisle (and everywhere in-between, as well), to be certain.

Reps to you!

Old 07-17-2022, 08:27 AM

28,343 posts, read 16,466,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ukrkoz View Post
"It does not matter
How they vote.
What matters
Joseph Stalin

If the Democrats are so adept at cheating that the Stop the Steal crowd still has bupkis 2 years later, the GOP will never win another election.

Time will tell.

Old 07-17-2022, 10:08 AM

13,866 posts, read 5,056,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FordBronco1967 View Post

There is no way I can be convinced that the 2020 Election was fair. But, that does not necessarily mean it was fraudulent. However, it should be noted that these laws that were change, and now ruled unconstitutional, made it much easier for fraud to occur. Hopefully, the remaining laws that have yet to be ruled unconstitutional can be changed back to what they previously were. Trust in our elections is vital to the success of our Nation.
By the same token, I don’t think it’s fair that Hillary received the most votes in 2016, but lost the election. I don’t think it’s fair when states gerrymander their districts to ensure the ruling party in that state gets most of the votes. But these things are legal, thus not fraudulent.

Old 07-17-2022, 10:17 AM

13,866 posts, read 5,056,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vegasrollingstone View Post
There's been a lot of lessons learned and one of those lessons is don't wait until January to make your move. The new game is to have the state legislators overturn the vote and elect the slate of candidates (electoral college) that will vote. All of this will be possible when this vigilante SCOTUS votes on Moore v Harper next year.
Much as I hate to say it, that would be constitutional. The Constitution only says “Each State shall appoint, in such Manner as the Legislature thereof may direct, a Number of Electors...” It does not say that the electors have to be based on the results of the election in that state. If a state legislature decides that the Governor should have the power to appoint who ever he chooses as electors, then that would be the law in that state and the desire of the voters wouldn’t count for squat.

Old 07-17-2022, 10:42 AM

8,523 posts, read 7,513,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ukrkoz View Post
"It does not matter
How they vote.
What matters
Joseph Stalin
"I consider it completely unimportant who in the party will vote, or how; but what is extraordinarily important is this—who will count the votes, and how." Joseph Stalin - 1923, as related by his secretary Boris Bahzanov in Bahzanov's memoirs published in 1992.

"I just want to find 11,780 votes." Donald Trump to Georgia Secretary of State Brad Raffensperger, recorded Jan 2, 2020.

Old 07-17-2022, 11:20 AM

13,562 posts, read 7,520,990 times
The real problem I have is the fact that republican lawmakers on January 6th like Ted Cruz wanted to delay the count, and had met with John Eastman agreed to try and stop the count. The goal was to tie it up in court because they knew the 12th amendment said if 270 EC wasn't reached they could vote per house delegation in the house and put Trump back in office.

Those legislators who planned on following Eastman's idea were breaking their oath of office really should be charged with sedition. They knew there was no evidence of fraud that would change the outcome of the election yet they went along anyway. This is why some of them asked for Pardons from Trump they were worried they could be charged with a crime.

I guess the oath of office doesn't really matter when all they want is one man to be back in office. What I don't get is why Mike Pence said he would vote for Trump again that is crazy.

I hope they fix the law so this can never happen again although I feel like republicans will block anything that might remove the opportunity for them to try again in 2024.

Old 07-17-2022, 11:29 AM

1,517 posts, read 545,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo58 View Post
Much as I hate to say it, that would be constitutional. The Constitution only says “Each State shall appoint, in such Manner as the Legislature thereof may direct, a Number of Electors...” It does not say that the electors have to be based on the results of the election in that state. If a state legislature decides that the Governor should have the power to appoint who ever he chooses as electors, then that would be the law in that state and the desire of the voters wouldn’t count for squat.

The independent state legislature doctrine is subject to interpretation as to how much power is controlled by state legislators. Moore v. Harper can potentially give state legislatures unlimited ability to determine election results, including the ability to cast their own slate of electors. State legislators will have final say, period end of discussion!

Quote:
As Justice Neil Gorsuch described this approach in a 2020 concurringopinion, “the Constitution provides that state legislaturesnot federal judges, not state judges, not state governors, not other state officials — bear primary responsibility for setting election rules.”

Last edited by vegasrollingstone; 07-17-2022 at 11:30 AM.. Reason: sp

Old 07-17-2022, 06:27 PM

10,069 posts, read 5,783,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oberon_1 View Post
That what Trump demanded Pence to do was illegal. Some Trump supporters still did not internalize that. Folks (still) think that hanging the VP in such circumstances makes sense.
If they were unclear on the existing law, why would they be any clearer about a clarified law? Was there any legal ambiguity requiring resolution?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies