Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2022, 05:03 PM

1,866 posts, read 939,708 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cttransplant85 View Post
Discount retail stores like Walmart and Dollar General have always been a bit messy and unkept but in my area(greater Charlotte) even Target and higher end grocers are a mess and the discount retailers are a total disaster. Very few staff, nothing in the right place, bare shelves, dirty. Is this the case in your area as well?

In my area most grocery stores are extremely nice, but that's what you get living in an affluent area where people have high standards and will threaten to get the manager or sue at a moment's notice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2022, 05:12 PM

29,627 posts, read 16,639,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beach43ofus View Post
That is all ue to Obamcare. Any employer with over 150 employees must pay heathcare benefits for anyone who works ovr 30 hours so guess what? Almost nobody gets over 30 hours. Unintended consequences of big gov't failure.
No, Obama care stopped them from scheduling someone at 40 hours and paying them partime wages.

Obama care simply said at that point you have to offer them benefits, and they capped part timers at 32 hours. I will also add that this never mattered as companies simply told people to sign up for Obamacare and say that the company insurance costs too much.

WHat is going on now is an entirely different ball game. but nice try.

Old 07-26-2022, 05:15 PM

23,860 posts, read 24,182,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
What you refer to as a "Swing shift" doesnt exist in the context im discussing.

Im saying a company highers you at the promise of 26 hours per week, and then only gives you 1 4 hour shift per week.

the premise that retail looks anything like it did 30 years ago is laughable, retail doesnt even look like it did 10 years ago.

using myself as an example, i was a full time college student in 2011 getting 40 hours a week at the same company I work at now. that isnt possible any more. They have literally cut hours to a point that only Department supervisors get full time hours. And any college student is lucky to get one shift.

hopefully this helps you guys understand.
Move to east Texas. Help wanted signs in pretty much every business. You can have as much work as you can handle.

Old 07-26-2022, 05:19 PM

18,910 posts, read 8,547,624 times
Reminds me of the old Huey's Store back in college, Urbana, Ill.

Huey's store. What's not on the shelf...is on the floor!

https://www.google.com/search?source...7pmXQ9M27AhH5M

Old 07-26-2022, 05:38 PM

12,064 posts, read 6,613,870 times
During Covid so many people got used to using Amazon and online shopping, it probably affected these retailers. I know I never shopped online before Covid, and now I do a lot.

Old 07-26-2022, 05:53 PM

19,948 posts, read 9,516,267 times
I don't shop WalMart, but the Target is not bad except for low inventory.

Old 07-26-2022, 05:56 PM

29,627 posts, read 16,639,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post
Move to east Texas. Help wanted signs in pretty much every business. You can have as much work as you can handle.
Help wanted signs mean nothing as i stated in my first post.

companies have staffing quotes that do not match the number of hours they can give, those staffing quotas are also part of the company internal ranking systems that determine your raises.

so for example, my stores staffing goal is 50, but we only have enough payroll for 35 people. So we have positions that are automatically posted on hiring websites .

Staffing is 5% of our company metric/score, which is made up by a lot of things, payroll over/under, sales, Loyalty program sign ups, Inventory performance/loss pervention. so at the end of the year when its time for raises, part of it is determined by that score.

East Texas maybe a little better, but I doubt it when it comes to national retailers.

Old 07-26-2022, 06:08 PM

17,558 posts, read 16,714,623 times
Quote:
No, Obama care stopped them from scheduling someone at 40 hours and paying them partime wages.

Obama care simply said at that point you have to offer them benefits, and they capped part timers at 32 hours. I will also add that this never mattered as companies simply told people to sign up for Obamacare and say that the company insurance costs too much.

WHat is going on now is an entirely different ball game. but nice try.
Part timers don't want to work 32 hours. A part timer working 32 hours is an employee who would like to be working 33+ hours and getting full time benefits. Who the heck would say "Nah, I don't want vacation time." A person who wants to work actual PT hours wants to work a few days a week, maybe 12-20 hours, NOT nearly full time with no benefits.

This is what happens when someone who has never worked a retail job in his entire life starts to dictate how retail stores run their businesses.

Old 07-26-2022, 06:17 PM

3,607 posts, read 1,805,377 times
Quote:
Help wanted signs mean nothing as i stated in my first post.

companies have staffing quotes that do not match the number of hours they can give, those staffing quotas are also part of the company internal ranking systems that determine your raises.

so for example, my stores staffing goal is 50, but we only have enough payroll for 35 people. So we have positions that are automatically posted on hiring websites .

Staffing is 5% of our company metric/score, which is made up by a lot of things, payroll over/under, sales, Loyalty program sign ups, Inventory performance/loss pervention. so at the end of the year when its time for raises, part of it is determined by that score.

East Texas maybe a little better, but I doubt it when it comes to national retailers.
The talent we had in retail left for similarly paying cushy work from home white collar jobs. I feel bad for the salaried managers who are chronically under and poorly staffed. They need to pick up the hourly workers slack and do their job. Very stressful line of work to be in right now.

Old 07-26-2022, 06:35 PM

13,108 posts, read 9,667,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cttransplant85 View Post
Discount retail stores like Walmart and Dollar General have always been a bit messy and unkept but in my area(greater Charlotte) even Target and higher end grocers are a mess and the discount retailers are a total disaster. Very few staff, nothing in the right place, bare shelves, dirty. Is this the case in your area as well?
I've not noticed many shortages here but prices are certainly up. I was in Home Depot just today and everything is much more expensive than it was not that long ago. Walmart, Home Depot, Lowes - they all tend to keep things out in the middle of the aisles - never have understood the need to block movement like they do.

Is Dollar General a "big box" store? I always think of big box stores as having the giant stores like Target, Home Depot, etc. That said, I don't think I've ever been inside a Dollar General. But they're ubiquitous.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies