Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2022, 08:30 PM

3,558 posts, read 1,679,269 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by warhorse78 View Post
And this way of thinking is exactly why so many manufacturing jobs left the USA and went to China.

Nope, its GREED, look for the cheapest educated population in the world and EXPLOIT THEM FOR HIGHEST PROFIT MARGINS. Unfortunately those corporations sold their soul without reading the fine print. China doesnt let them actually own stuff and they have to share their intellectual property with China. The brainiacs only have very short term profit kind of thinking. Dont consider they are selling their intellectual property for peanuts long term. But hey the next quarterly report will look good with el cheapo labor.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2022, 08:36 PM

30,523 posts, read 23,950,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cttransplant85 View Post
Discount retail stores like Walmart and Dollar General have always been a bit messy and unkept but in my area(greater Charlotte) even Target and higher end grocers are a mess and the discount retailers are a total disaster. Very few staff, nothing in the right place, bare shelves, dirty. Is this the case in your area as well?
Target is a joke where I live. Clothes all over the floor, a lot of empty or half empty shelves with various items in the wrong spots, the grocery is never tended to throughout the day. Items are not pulled forward, restocking is slow, fruit so bad that I tell customers I'm shopping for that there's no way I'm giving them those half rotten items.

A Dollar 25 store close to me really cleaned up, and it looks good now, but others are disgusting.

Target has staff, but they don't seem to care to do anything efficiently. I've never seen people move so slowly.

It's not just the stores, either. I told this on another thread, but about a week ago, I witnessed the laziest person in the world at a construction zone. I came upon the zone, saw the cones and equipment, and was trying to figure out where, exactly, they wanted me to go, because the way they lined up the cones made no sense. I almost hit the flagger while I was trying to figure it out. The reason I almost hit him? Because his little stop sign was on the side of the road, and he was partially in my lane, squatting down, where I couldn't easily see him. He was playing with his phone. I saw him just in time, stopped, still trying to figure out where to go and if he was the flagger or just a worker taking a break in a bad spot. He moved only his arm to say something on his little radio, then finally stood up and waved me and the city bus behind me on. Didn't even bother with the 'stop/slow' sign, just left it there on the side of the road.

How lazy is someone who can't stand up when cars are approaching the construction zone?

Some places have low staffing numbers, and others have the staff, but the staff doesn't seem to care to do their jobs correctly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
Do they? Because I shop at Trader Joes and Costco specifically because they treat their people well. Prices are perfectly comparable and the stores tend to look great.

In fact, my main complaint about TJ's is that they're constantly restocking and I feel like a bastard taking stuff that someone standing right there just arranged neatly.
Not Trader Joes, but I know what you mean about that last bit. When I have been in stores that have just stocked things, I feel the same way. I have apologized when they're still in the lane after just finishing. They made it look all nice and neat, and then I come along and screw it up by removing an item or 2.

Old 07-26-2022, 09:02 PM

30,523 posts, read 23,950,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post
Move to east Texas. Help wanted signs in pretty much every business. You can have as much work as you can handle.
There's 'Help Wanted' signs all over here, too. I went around and applied at many just to see how hard it was to get the job. I wrote about it some time ago. It wasn't hard to get the job. What was hard was to get hours. "Full time" is no longer 40 hours a week. And even if they say you will get 32 hours, you won't. What they do is hire more people and give them all less hours.

Also, to another poster, no one is asking for $50,000 a year to work at a store or restaurant. I used to be against these higher 'minimum wages', like very, very against them, but the fact is, $15/hour at 40 hours a week, (which they won't get) is less than $30,000 a year. It would be $2400/month. Not many places left in this country where you can live off of $2400/month, but some of you all think that's 'too much to give to someone'. Your groceries are not going to go up that high. They might go up 10 cents. Some of you brag about living in opulent places where people are 'civilized', yet wring your hands over someone making $2400 a month, stocking your shelves, cleaning the store, organizing everything, making your food, etc.

It reminds me of some of the upper middle class who order food or groceries, I spend time getting them the best stuff, I communicate with them to find substitutes, go out of my way to ensure that they are happy before I check out, drive the 10 miles to their gigantic house with a big yard, big brand new SUV and flashy car in their driveway, place the order at their door, neatly, and they want to tip a whole dollar as their 'gratitude'. I block those people.

Naw. I'm no longer on the side of those who carry on over a small amount of increase. The prices are higher now than they would have been before the nonsense of the last 2 years if people had been paid more, and yet you're all still out there, spending money like you have an endless amount of it.

Old 07-26-2022, 09:30 PM

17,676 posts, read 16,823,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chas863 View Post
I understand what you're saying, but an employee's ability to dictate work hours, pay, and benefits depends directly upon his value to the employer. If an employee isn't satisfied with a job that has no benefits, then they need to do something to acquire the skill or knowledge that will make themselves valuable enough to an employer who DOES offer good pay and good benefits.

As a kid in high school many years ago, I carefully observed guys who were 10 to 15 years older than me as to their jobs and incomes. It didn't take long to figure out that the ones who had the best incomes either had a college degree or had acquired some skill or training that made them valuable to an employer.

That made me determined to get a college degree even though my parents were poor and couldn't afford to pay for my college education. I worked plenty of parttime jobs that had zero benefits and low pay... and I was glad to get the jobs at the time. Years later, once I had obtained an engineering degree, I had my choice of many good jobs with good pay and benefits.

So, the solution to low paying jobs with no benefits is to improve/change yourself, not try to force the employer to pay you more than you're worth because that doesn't work.
What I am saying is that the people who want PT jobs because they have class or children to care for or some other responsibility are being slammed with near full time hours. Maybe they want to work 15 hours but are being given double that. Maybe if they actually got PT hours there would be hours left for the people who do want to work FT. The job isn't the problem, the hours are.

Old 07-26-2022, 09:57 PM

29,637 posts, read 16,670,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cttransplant85 View Post
The talent we had in retail left for similarly paying cushy work from home white collar jobs. I feel bad for the salaried managers who are chronically under and poorly staffed. They need to pick up the hourly workers slack and do their job. Very stressful line of work to be in right now.
True.

im not salaried, but I have a managers title. I can remember and still have the paper work for the staffing goals on the store overall, trucks. projects. new employees laugh when i give them those numbers. They cant believe it.

Old 07-26-2022, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chas863 View Post
You are (or were) a college student and you don't know the difference between "hire" and "higher"????
So instead of putting forth a response to my post, you go after a grammatical error , LMFAO.

Old 07-26-2022, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by springfieldva View Post
Part timers don't want to work 32 hours. A part timer working 32 hours is an employee who would like to be working 33+ hours and getting full time benefits. Who the heck would say "Nah, I don't want vacation time." A person who wants to work actual PT hours wants to work a few days a week, maybe 12-20 hours, NOT nearly full time with no benefits.

This is what happens when someone who has never worked a retail job in his entire life starts to dictate how retail stores run their businesses.
I find it weird people post things like this.

Anyone who works in retail understands not all positions are full time, and that they dont just create full time positions for people just because they are good workers.

Obama's point was that they are exploiting workers, and forced them to pick . Either offer them the benefits or not force them to be obligated to work such long hours, infrequent shifts without benefits

I can go on and on with examples but the simplist one is this.

A part timer can be designated to work all 7 days in a week to get to 40 hours, where as someone designated full time is required to get 2 off days a week. most obvious problem with this is the extra travel time and gas working 2 extra days a week creates as well as not having a title means less pay overall.

Obama not working in retail wasnt the problem, retail being willing to screw over its employees was.

Old 07-26-2022, 10:27 PM

17,676 posts, read 16,823,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
I find it weird people post things like this.

Anyone who works in retail understands not all positions are full time, and that they dont just create full time positions for people just because they are good workers.

Obama's point was that they are exploiting workers, and forced them to pick . Either offer them the benefits or not force them to be obligated to work such long hours, infrequent shifts without benefits

I can go on and on with examples but the simplist one is this.

A part timer can be designated to work all 7 days in a week to get to 40 hours, where as someone designated full time is required to get 2 off days a week. most obvious problem with this is the extra travel time and gas working 2 extra days a week creates as well as not having a title means less pay overall.

Obama not working in retail wasnt the problem, retail being willing to screw over its employees was.
Part Time means just that. Part of the Time. Not Full Time. It does not mean working Full Time hours and not getting benefits unless they agree to work those kinds of hours with the intention of being converted to FT after satisfactory performance over a certain amount of time.

It is a strange assumption to assume that people who apply for PART TIME positions are cool with working Full Time hours even though they have zero desire to be full time.

It used to be that you could get a PT job with part time hours and a regular schedule. It seems those days are gone.

Old 07-26-2022, 10:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by springfieldva View Post
Part Time means just that. Part of the Time. Not Full Time. It does not mean working Full Time hours and not getting benefits unless they agree to work those kinds of hours with the intention of being converted to FT after satisfactory performance over a certain amount of time.
Nope, the bold is not part of it. Thats what you want, thats what you really want, and you hope that when a position comes open, they will pick you over the part timer who only agrees to work 8 hours a week, but that just isnt true, there is no obligation or even intent on the part of the company to do so.

I fully understood that when i was working those crazy hours while in college, i wanted to secure a job, and would have been p/o'ed if someone other than me got it after doing it, but I 100% understood that me being a hard worker was not the same as having a contract saying I was next in line .

Quote:
It is a strange assumption to assume that people who apply for PART TIME positions are cool with working Full Time hours even though they have zero desire to be full time.
No, ypeople apply to part time positions for 2 reasons.

1. they only want part time
2. no one is hiring for full time.

Quote:
It used to be that you could get a PT job with part time hours and a regular schedule. It seems those days are gone.
they are

Old 07-26-2022, 10:46 PM

39,950 posts, read 26,681,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
Do they? Because I shop at Trader Joes and Costco specifically because they treat their people well. Prices are perfectly comparable and the stores tend to look great.

In fact, my main complaint about TJ's is that they're constantly restocking and I feel like a bastard taking stuff that someone standing right there just arranged neatly.

Costco "looks great"? They look like, well, they ARE, a warehouse! I shop there because they are cheap, but the shopping experience sorta sucks. I will say they actually hire some competent cashiers, unlike many places.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies