Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2022, 11:07 PM

17,617 posts, read 16,784,956 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
Nope, the bold is not part of it. Thats what you want, thats what you really want, and you hope that when a position comes open, they will pick you over the part timer who only agrees to work 8 hours a week, but that just isnt true, there is no obligation or even intent on the part of the company to do so.

I fully understood that when i was working those crazy hours while in college, i wanted to secure a job, and would have been p/o'ed if someone other than me got it after doing it, but I 100% understood that me being a hard worker was not the same as having a contract saying I was next in line .

No, ypeople apply to part time positions for 2 reasons.

1. they only want part time
2. no one is hiring for full time.

they are
Maybe the retailers would have better employee retention if they went back to offering traditional PT jobs with actual PT hours.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2022, 11:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
Costco "looks great"? They look like, well, they ARE, a warehouse! I shop there because they are cheap, but the shopping experience sorta sucks. I will say they actually hire some competent cashiers, unlike many places.
I would think that cashiering at Costco would be pretty easy. They used to only accept Amex. No cash handling, no coupons to deal with.

Maybe things have changed things, it's been awhile since I've shopped there, but that's the way it used to be.

Old 07-26-2022, 11:18 PM

29,637 posts, read 16,659,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by springfieldva View Post
Maybe the retailers would have better employee retention if they went back to offering traditional PT jobs with actual PT hours.
LOL

we agree, but it isnt going to happen. they now know they can operate and be more profitable with less people .

Old 07-26-2022, 11:30 PM

Quote:
LOL

we agree, but it isnt going to happen. they now know they can operate and be more profitable with less people .
If it is profitable for them to have a chronic revolving door of employees, where the stores are constantly in the cycle of hiring/training, only to have the new employees quit, then that would be a bit surprising.

Last edited by springfieldva; 07-26-2022 at 11:40 PM..

Old 07-27-2022, 04:09 AM

6,045 posts, read 2,281,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by springfieldva View Post
If it is profitable for them to have a chronic revolving door of employees, where the stores are constantly in the cycle of hiring/training, only to have the new employees quit, then that would be a bit surprising.
The "Low Turnover Movement" in most business sectors is gone for most of these big businesses. Hardly anyone touts their low turnover numbers anymore nor seem to run their businesses in a way that ensures turnover is low.

Retailers complain about high turnover but I have never seen them change their behavior or figure out their staffing issues in my lifetime. Still do the same stuff like change schedules at the last minute, no consistent schedules, berating near minimum employees for sales figures that they really don't influence (Walmart cashier is not driving sales lets get real), and expecting more and more with less and less staff. Walmart can track product sales and shipments second by second but still cannot get their employees schedules consistent or even let them know what their schedules are until 1-2 days before the work week starts so employees cannot plan around that and call in.

I don't think people realize how low staffed these big box stores are relative to their size or how every employee is basically covering two to three jobs with sky high productivity but even this is not enough. Its never enough, push, push, push, go, go, go, until there is no one left who will take the job.

Old 07-27-2022, 04:17 AM

24,911 posts, read 9,659,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WiseManOnceSaid View Post
This business model has been the way to go for the past 35 years or so, but, with the growth of online infrastructure and ordering, developers are hesitant to build these "lang hogs" for big box retailers anymore.
Bingo, you don't even need to leave your bed to order groceries anymore. A few clicks on an app and someone will deliver them straight to your door.

Old 07-27-2022, 04:26 AM

1,612 posts, read 888,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cttransplant85 View Post
Discount retail stores like Walmart and Dollar General have always been a bit messy and unkept but in my area(greater Charlotte) even Target and higher end grocers are a mess and the discount retailers are a total disaster. Very few staff, nothing in the right place, bare shelves, dirty. Is this the case in your area as well?

I thought you were describing your awful airport, which is why I stopped flying American.

Labor is expensive right now and inflation is through the roof so you're going to see less labor, and less outlay for remodels and improvements. Get used to it...80 million Americans got what they voted for, good and hard.

Old 07-27-2022, 04:29 AM

26,201 posts, read 13,162,340 times
Quote:
No, Obama care stopped them from scheduling someone at 40 hours and paying them partime wages.

Obama care simply said at that point you have to offer them benefits, and they capped part timers at 32 hours. I will also add that this never mattered as companies simply told people to sign up for Obamacare and say that the company insurance costs too much.

WHat is going on now is an entirely different ball game. but nice try.
The end result of Obamacare was hours were reduced for millions of workers. If people are in denial of that, nothing I can do...save the saveable.

Old 07-27-2022, 04:31 AM

4,967 posts, read 2,746,709 times
does anyone ever bother to proof read a thread title or even a post before they post it?...no...carry on..

Old 07-27-2022, 05:03 AM

30,681 posts, read 21,551,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HJ99 View Post
Doesnt mean they need to expect $7 an hour workers to afford $1500 a month rent. If workers are only worth $7 an hour, then those $1500 ENTRY LEVEL apartments may only be worth $200 a month. So how about those apartment owners only charge $200 a month since thats all they are worth?

See its proportional. COST OF LIVING does matter. Cheap labor doesnt just live on the air in Cincinnati, they dont just go poof into netherworld when their shift is over and poof appear again at start of new shift. They have to eat, put roof over their head, and somehow get to that miraculous job only worth $7 an hour. Wont even mention MEDICAL CARE. We are only first world country that doesnt have national health. Heck even many second tier countries have some kind national health and dont play the "bankrupt the sick" kind of game.
I don't think anyone only makes 7 a hour a deven.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies