Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2022, 08:18 AM

20,464 posts, read 12,857,356 times

Advertisements

The president is ALWAYS on the ballot.

Old 08-04-2022, 08:20 AM

17,603 posts, read 16,745,124 times
Also, just because you feel safe from being drafted, yourself, does not mean that your husband - the bread winner of your family- will not be drafted. This, of course, is assuming that your husband is between the ages of 18-35.

Old 08-04-2022, 08:21 AM

3,006 posts, read 1,505,536 times
Left and right are becoming meaningless labels. The political divisions now are mostly economic class. The Dems became the party of more money and less votes. When they discover they can't buy elections, they will be upset for a while.

Old 08-04-2022, 08:28 AM

45,675 posts, read 24,127,303 times
I don't think Dems will 'win' midterms but I'm not so sure it will be the blood bath that many think.

the Kansas vote on the abortion issue showed that it is a motivating issue. It's summertime, a primary election and yet the turn out was significant in the very red state of Kentucky AND the voters clearly support access to abortions. Who knows if that will translate to other states and voters motivated by this issue. It could mean that on the federal level Republicans will see great success at the federal level...but does that mean that in red states, local and state results show more of this support for abortion and they vote for independent or blue candidates.

Kansas primary surprised people. Will that impact the November elections -- way too early.

So much can happen.

Old 08-04-2022, 08:28 AM

8,943 posts, read 2,986,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nattering Heights View Post
Left and right are becoming meaningless labels. The political divisions now are mostly economic class. The Dems became the party of more money and less votes. When they discover they can't buy elections, they will be upset for a while.
But it's funny, because the less money you make, the more you vote Democrat.

The more money you make, the more you vote Republican.

Old 08-04-2022, 08:30 AM

45,675 posts, read 24,127,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paracord View Post
But it's funny, because the less money you make, the more you vote Democrat.

The more money you make, the more you vote Republican.

So this argument contradicts the arguments made by many here that Democrats are elitists.

Lotso f money in California and northeast vote blue.

6,456 posts, read 2,774,630 times
To answer a few of your points...

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuakerBaker View Post
Perhaps you should look at your data again, The Republicans have "won" the last 2 according to your data. The highest the Democrats got was +5, and you can call that the "Abortion Bounce" that took a nose-dive. After that, it favors Republicans.

Quote:
5, TV has covered many stories that just make Republicans look poor lately. From January 6, to the Ohio girl that got raped, to Republicans voting against securing Gay Marriage. Issues that Republicans can win on like should racist ideas be taught in schools have taken a back seat in TV coverage.
Read what you wrote and apply that to #1. Even with all of the "negative" coverage, they are leading the democrats. Imagine how far in front the Republicans would be if they focused on the Economy, the thing that poll after poll shows is the primary concern of most voters.

Quote:
6, The youth vote will come out strong against Republicans.
Why? Because of the standard Democratic talking points of giving them free everything? Eventually, the Youth will realize they are being played...likey in 2022. Since there is still no student loan forgiveness. And if there is forgiveness everyone else will realize it was strictly an attempt to buy votes.

Quote:
7, Inflation is a problem, but most realize that it isn't solely Biden's fault and both parties pushed bigger spending during the pandemic, even if Democrats wanted even bigger spending. This won't help Republicans too much.
Many Conservatives didn't agree with every stimulus that Trump did, but a case could be made for SOME justification. Mainly because the Blue States were shutting down their economies. However, when Biden came in his Stimulus was not only not needed, but has been seen as a primary reason why inflation became such an issue.

Quote:
9, As a Pro-Life Democrat, I once had in 2020, a smug not that masculine Democrat man tell me "You are anti-women's rights, that is not a Democrat, cutie." I was angered to the point that I almost didn't vote Dem in my first election. Democrats have seemed to wise up a bit lately, as no Democrat has been so insulting and condescending to me if I say that I am a pro-Life Democrat for pacifist religious beliefs.
Obviously, you didn't go door to door in Kansas telling people you were pro-life. You can see report after report of "Pro-Life" people being harassed and threatened. They've gone after the Supreme Court Justices with the approval of the current administration. How much more proof do you need of their "tolerance". Of course, that isn't everyone, but to think that all Democrats are totally okay with someone that is "Pro-Life" is a bit naive.

Quote:
11. Biden is unpopular, Biden is NOT doing a great job, but he is also NOT on the Ballot. Biden does not equal the Democratic Party in its entirety.
Trump isn't on the ballot either. But apparently, you and many others are ready to say that he is one of the main reasons the Republicans will lose in the Mid-Terms....

6,204 posts, read 2,952,006 times
Quote:
Just my PREDICTION, but the Democrats will surprise and win 2022. Full disclosure, I am 21 and a moderate-Pro-Life-Democrat.
I will chock most of this up to you being young and naïve, thought I cannot fault you much for this as I am only one year older than you!

I have followed every election since 2014. I find them quite interesting, and believe me, I wish I did not!

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuakerBaker
The Republicans still lead in the generic ballot average, at least as of typing this. They have lead in the average since November of 2021, or one year from the upcoming election. That has never happened in modern history. Even in 2010, the Democrats held the lead in the generic ballot average in June of 2010. In 2014, the Democrats held the lead in the generic ballot average in September of 2014. The fact that the Republicans have lead for the last ten months is historic.

Quote:
2, Republicans don't have a lot of good candidates in my state, Democrats have made this worse for Republicans by constantly funding the worst most extreme candidates. I don't approve of this strategy, but it will likely pay off.
I have heard many good things about Tudor Dixon. If nothing else, at least she did not send sick grandmas to die in nursing homes and infect other seniors, and remove tens of millions of dollars of funding for orphans, like Governor Whitmer did... Has Governor Whitmer fixed the roads, like she promised to?

Quote:
3, Nationwide Democrats overall won the redistricting battle. Rhode Island's census accidentally overcounted, letting them keep a congressional seat that they would have lost to a Red State.
The Republicans hold 214 seats, if there were no vacancies. That is four seats away from a majority. Due to redistricting: AZ-02, FL-04, FL-07, FL-13, TN-05, and WI-03 are guaranteed flips, just to name a few. These seats alone, assuming the Republicans do not lose any, would put the Republicans at 220 seats. I cannot envision a scenario in which the Republicans get less than 230 seats. My guestimate is they end up around 250 seats, which would give the Republicans the largest majority since the 1920's.

Quote:
4, Trump. It seems like many people on all sides live in an echo chamber these days. Trump supporters know that Trump is toxic to those on the left, but they don't realize just how toxic he is to those in the middle. The more that Trump lingers on the side, pushes for a 2024 run, endorses candidates, the more it helps Democrats. Almost all of the girls in my friend group can't stand him.
I agree. I am hoping for Governor DeSantis, though if President Trump were to get the nomination, he would have my vote, too.

Quote:
5, TV has covered many stories that just make Republicans look poor lately. From January 6, to the Ohio girl that got raped, to Republicans voting against securing Gay Marriage. Issues that Republicans can win on like should racist ideas be taught in schools have taken a back seat in TV coverage.
When have the Republicans ever been made to look good, in the media?

Quote:
Half of the youth do not know there is an election coming up. The other half could not tell you when it is. I chalk that up to being a failure of the public school system, as most educated people would know that elections are held on "the first Tuesday of November".

You and I are exceptions, not the rule.

Quote:
7, Inflation is a problem, but most realize that it isn't solely Biden's fault and both parties pushed bigger spending during the pandemic, even if Democrats wanted even bigger spending. This won't help Republicans too much.
Presidents always receive the blame when things are terrible. And, President Biden and the Democratic Party wanting to spend more money, which is what got us into this inflation mess in the first place, needs to be exploited better by the Republicans.

Quote:
8, People want a larger safety net, like perhaps a national healthcare system. Democrats are the path forward on this.
I doubt they want to pay the large increase in taxes that would be required to pay for that...

Quote:
11. Biden is unpopular, Biden is NOT doing a great job, but he is also NOT on the Ballot. Biden does not equal the Democratic Party in its entirety.
First term midterms are always a referendum on the President. It took 9/11 for 2002 to be the exception to this rule. President Trump is not on the ballot, too. Yet, the Democratic Party is making this election about him and "his candidates", because that is all they have to run on. The Democratic Party's policies will worsen inflation.

Old 08-04-2022, 08:35 AM

7,817 posts, read 2,921,177 times
Quote:
Just my PREDICTION, but the Democrats will surprise and win 2022. Full disclosure, I am 21 and a moderate-Pro-Life-Democrat.

1, Democrats have won 3 of the last 4 generic congressional polls.

2, Republicans don't have a lot of good candidates in my state, Democrats have made this worse for Republicans by constantly funding the worst most extreme candidates. I don't approve of this strategy, but it will likely pay off.

3, Nationwide Democrats overall won the redistricting battle. Rhode Island's census accidentally overcounted, letting them keep a congressional seat that they would have lost to a Red State.

4, Trump. It seems like many people on all sides live in an echo chamber these days. Trump supporters know that Trump is toxic to those on the left, but they don't realize just how toxic he is to those in the middle. The more that Trump lingers on the side, pushes for a 2024 run, endorses candidates, the more it helps Democrats. Almost all of the girls in my friend group can't stand him.

Some of the very best humans I know are Trump voters, but they just can't see how toxic he is to so many in the middle and what they fail to see what he represents to so many independent voters. It will be the GOP's undoing in November.

8, People want a larger safety net, like perhaps a national healthcare system. Democrats are the path forward on this.

9, As a Pro-Life Democrat, I once had in 2020, a smug not that masculine Democrat man tell me "You are anti-women's rights, that is not a Democrat, cutie." I was angered to the point that I almost didn't vote Dem in my first election. Democrats have seemed to wise up a bit lately, as no Democrat has been so insulting and condescending to me if I say that I am a pro-Life Democrat for pacifist religious beliefs.

10, There have always been a little more Democrats, it is just that Democrats were a little less likely to vote. The new easier voting methods have flipped the tables. They are still in place.

Don't be mad, just my thoughts, good people can disagree, what are your thoughts? I think the Democrats do surprise in November.

Forgive me for but a moment.

Ahem......

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAAHHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA AHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Sorry.

Last edited by RhodyRepub; 08-04-2022 at 09:34 AM..

Old 08-04-2022, 08:51 AM

4,904 posts, read 6,027,883 times
Let's hope your prediction doesn't come true. Since the democrats took control in 2021, we have an economic crisis, border crisis, and crime crisis. Schools are trying to sexualize children and the government is trying to take away law abiding citizens ability to defend themselves. It's all due to democratic policies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies