Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2022, 11:27 AM

45,676 posts, read 24,053,860 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattCW View Post
My only issue is this illustrates well that there should be ONE general Federal Law Enforcement agency. The FBI can be the armed agents in the field. No reason to have them, DEA, BATFE, the IRS, and whoever else, consolidate everything.
Another good point. So instead of falsely implying that the Democrats are unusually spending money to arm the IRS, Republicans should be questioning the structure of having individual LEO's in offices like the IRS and also --- analyzing how the money is spent on an annual basis.

But instead there is the myth that it is unusual spending implying arming the govt....blah blah blah.....

Why do American voters put up with this stuff?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2022, 11:41 AM

8,131 posts, read 4,336,038 times
IRS Special Agents are not your average dough eating cops, they are educated!

A bachelor's degree which includes 15 semester hours in accounting and 9 semester hours in closely related fields, qualifies one for governmental Accountant and Auditor positions. This education requirement also qualifies one for an IRS Special Agent position.

Old 08-04-2022, 12:06 PM

50,391 posts, read 47,131,977 times
Typical big govt overreach. On a typical day on the Mt I pass by SD City police, then HP then border patrol, followed by a game warden, a sheriff, DHS rig, Cal fire enforcement, Dept of Ag enforcement, blm enforcement and an unmarked DEA vehicle. Each and every one of them will hassle you depending on their mood. When there is a local 911 call they all show so they are all redundant.

Old 08-04-2022, 02:36 PM

5,177 posts, read 4,956,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
Personally I don't want an IRS and especially don't want a weaponized one. ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by YourWakeUpCall View Post
I'll bite. Please provide a viable alternative to funding government operations. ....
The Fairtax eliminates the IRS, along with all current federal taxes, and funds the government through a national consumption (sales) tax on new items and services.

Old 08-04-2022, 03:07 PM

23,652 posts, read 14,033,266 times
Well, remember.....the sheriff is elected by the people but the Chief of Police is picked by the Mayor.

Old 08-04-2022, 04:18 PM

7,410 posts, read 3,559,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hooligan View Post
This red herring, again? Didn't we go through this during the Obama administration, too?

Newsflash - the IRS, the FDA and a lot of other government agencies have law enforcement components and responsibilities.

Surely you're not saying LEOs should be disarmed, OP?
it’s quite fascinating that the same people who are so outspoken about militarized police forces have absolutely no issue with militarization of a tax agency.

Old 08-04-2022, 04:37 PM

13,025 posts, read 9,555,821 times
Quote:
Personally I don't want an IRS and especially don't want a weaponized one. Why are you trying to rationalize this?
If by weaponized you mean enforcement agents with arrest authority and who carry weapons, they've been doing that a long time. They were the ones breaking up stills in our earlier times, and dumping alcohol during prohibition. Not only was it untaxed then, it was illegal to possess and use.

But like you, I don't like the idea of 80,000 new agents merely for the purpose of increasing government income. That said, I also don't believe in defrauding the government via tax evasion.

They probably need to do away with all the tax deductions and loopholes and make everybody pay a fixed percentage of their income in federal taxes.

Old 08-04-2022, 04:43 PM

15,495 posts, read 7,538,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annandale_Man View Post
Government accountants don't need guns.
The IRS has enforcement agents that go after hard core criminals. The are called IRS Criminal Investigation Special Agents. They have arrest powers and all that goes with that, including carrying firearms.

There is a small list of some of the high profile cases IRS investigators have been involved in here https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IRS_Cr..._Investigation

Old 08-04-2022, 04:44 PM

15,495 posts, read 7,538,175 times
Quote:
Personally I don't want an IRS and especially don't want a weaponized one. Why are you trying to rationalize this?
Who would do the criminal tax investigations if not the IRS? The FBI won't be doing them. The bad guys the IRS special agents go after are hard core criminals. Some related to narcotics and the cartels. Tax laws are a good way to get criminals in prison. Ask Al Capone.

Old 08-04-2022, 04:47 PM

13,025 posts, read 9,555,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tillman7 View Post
IRS Special Agents are not your average dough eating cops, they are educated!

A bachelor's degree which includes 15 semester hours in accounting and 9 semester hours in closely related fields, qualifies one for governmental Accountant and Auditor positions. This education requirement also qualifies one for an IRS Special Agent position.
All federal agents have to have degrees I believe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies