Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2022, 07:44 AM

39,181 posts, read 51,514,618 times

Advertisements

It seems manufacturers are coming out full EV on their most profitable models first. On top of that, these models are larded up with every possible option. That does make business sense in several ways, so I get it. Over the next couple years, though, we will see EVs at much better price points.

In the meantime, hybrids are much more reasonably priced with a wider selection available. They also get tax credits in the new legislation. For the next several years, hybrids are also probably a much smarter buy with respect to range and recharging options.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2022, 07:48 AM

32,899 posts, read 19,593,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboyxjon View Post
Yep! So odd to think that you can buy A HOUSE in some parts of the country for as much as these EVs cost.

And before anyone mentions something like the Chevy Volt or Nissan Leaf as being “cheap” and “plentiful” — not everyone wants a little car, and not everyone can afford to buy a vehicle just for “around town” and another for road trips.

But this is how our elitist Democrats tend to think! Same with subsidies for solar panels. Even with that 26-30% rebate, it’s not like poor people are going to go out to buy solar systems for their homes. They’re still expensive, take a long time to pay for themselves, and most people unfortunately acquire loans to pay for them.

Maybe that will be our next crisis! Solar loan forgiveness!
exactly...its not like the government is actually giving you 30% to put down... all it is , is a tax write-off... so woopty-do, I get to write-off 10k in taxes when my tax bill is already at near zero... which means no subsidy for you...since it is classified as only a deduction, not a refundable credit

Old 08-05-2022, 10:32 AM

7,046 posts, read 9,542,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
exactly...its not like the government is actually giving you 30% to put down... all it is , is a tax write-off... so woopty-do, I get to write-off 10k in taxes when my tax bill is already at near zero... which means no subsidy for you...since it is classified as only a deduction, not a refundable credit
Yup. And in a lot of cases, the companies jack up the price by 26-30% to try to make you feel like you’re getting a deal when considering the incentive, but you’re not. The solar companies can be quite predatory and aggressive.

I have solar panels on my house, not because I care about “climate change” but because I live in a place that is fairly optimal for it, and I’m interested in the technology. However, they aren’t optimal everywhere and Democrats tend to ignore the shortcomings of them.

So yeah, although Democrats are celebrating this news about the “Inflation Reduction Act” (LOL), most of these funds will be wasted. Also interesting to note that I’ve seen it referred to as “Build Back Better” in the NYT and have seen it referred to as a “climate bill” in The Atlantic. But, what it really is, is a hot mess.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies