Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2023, 11:04 PM

6,137 posts, read 3,867,540 times

Advertisements

The city of Oakland was so overwhelmed with bullets flying in parts of the city that parts of the city had no internet service because the equipment was damaged.

The tally of violence in Oakland was 10 shot over the weekend and 5 homicides.

Wow, the "pockets of gunfire" in Oakland according to the media were so bad that some Oakland neighborhoods had no internet because the random barrages of bullets were damaging the internet infrastructure of the city.

Amazing, how it wasn't the massive storm that caused internet outages in Oakland but random bullets flooding the fiber optic wiring.

https://www.nbcbayarea.com/news/loca...fiber/3166777/

https://www.ktvu.com/news/5-deaths-5...iolent-weekend
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2023, 07:24 AM

78,444 posts, read 60,640,522 times
Have to wonder how many of those were retalitatory killings for knocking out the internet.

Old 02-28-2023, 07:41 AM

33,315 posts, read 12,546,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovecrowds View Post
The city of Oakland was so overwhelmed with bullets flying in parts of the city that parts of the city had no internet service because the equipment was damaged.

The tally of violence in Oakland was 10 shot over the weekend and 5 homicides.

Wow, the "pockets of gunfire" in Oakland according to the media were so bad that some Oakland neighborhoods had no internet because the random barrages of bullets were damaging the internet infrastructure of the city.

Amazing, how it wasn't the massive storm that caused internet outages in Oakland but random bullets flooding the fiber optic wiring.

https://www.nbcbayarea.com/news/loca...fiber/3166777/

https://www.ktvu.com/news/5-deaths-5...iolent-weekend
The key word being 'parts'.

I've never felt unsafe in neighborhoods in the hills above Hwy 13.

Old 02-28-2023, 07:50 AM

4,754 posts, read 2,980,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMESMH View Post
The key word being 'parts'.

I've never felt unsafe in neighborhoods in the hills above Hwy 13.
those neighborhoods are the Oakland outliers. they hardly have any sidewalks, have smaller more narrow, and all the commercial development is condensed in one area. Most of Oakland, like 70% of it at minimum, isnt like that at all

Old 02-28-2023, 08:11 AM

24,502 posts, read 17,250,696 times
Oakland, Chicago and so many other cities are becoming increasingly violent. Is it that more people have guns and are willing to pull that trigger in an attempt to kill a rival or is it more a case of the same losers causing all of this?

The answer of course is to lock up anyone that uses a gun in a crime. Take these bums off the streets before they kill someone.

Old 02-28-2023, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
Oakland, Chicago and so many other cities are becoming increasingly violent. Is it that more people have guns and are willing to pull that trigger in an attempt to kill a rival or is it more a case of the same losers causing all of this?

The answer of course is to lock up anyone that uses a gun in a crime. Take these bums off the streets before they kill someone.
In Chicago, the number frequently cited is 75% gang\drug related.

The other 25% is just some sort of argument or domestic incident but frankly most of those involve the same people in the other group.

Current prosecution in several of those cities is essentially to let them go with an ankle bracelet for a year or more (one was arrested recently after shooting a young woman and using their ankle bracelet as a holster). Or reducing felonies down to misdemeanors, dropping charges altogether or light sentencing.

Old 02-28-2023, 08:48 AM

33,315 posts, read 12,546,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DabOnEm View Post
those neighborhoods are the Oakland outliers. they hardly have any sidewalks, have smaller more narrow, and all the commercial development is condensed in one area. Most of Oakland, like 70% of it at minimum, isnt like that at all
Look at where the homicides occurred.....they were in West Oakland and East Oakland.

(I'm a fifth generation Bay Area native, and I lived there for over 40 years. And I was born in Oakland, as were both of my parents, two of my four grandparents, etc.)

Old 02-28-2023, 08:54 AM

9,895 posts, read 4,656,637 times
The dealers, junkies and gang bangers aren't going to miss the internet or services provided on those cables it's the law abiding non drug culture people that will not have a phone, tv and internet. Hope no seniors needed to call 911. It used to be a federal offense to damage infrastructure or utility equipment, cables etc. Hopefully federal charges can be added to murder.

Old 02-28-2023, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMESMH View Post
Look at where the homicides occurred.....they were in West Oakland and East Oakland.

(I'm a fifth generation Bay Area native, and I lived there for over 40 years. And I was born in Oakland, as were both of my parents, two of my four grandparents, etc.)
Yeah, they tend to cluster.

I don't speak to Oakland because I don't know it but it seems to be the same about everywhere.

In Chicago you can walk a couple miles and go from murder rates of 1 per 100k to 40.

Old 02-28-2023, 09:08 AM

23,566 posts, read 17,241,593 times
Voters prefer the violence, no other explanation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies