Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-01-2023, 02:10 PM

61,837 posts, read 87,314,674 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by erieguy View Post
How do you expect them to keep the properties, especially huge properties maintained without them, and please be specific?
The same way the used to keep them nice and tidy before blowers were invented?

Old 05-01-2023, 02:19 PM

52,307 posts, read 52,771,567 times
Quote:
How do you expect them to keep the properties, especially huge properties maintained without them, and please be specific?
And that is always the counter argument. I get both sides here really. That's kind of why I'm a little reluctant to outright ban them.

It would be much more labor intensive many people say and again, get that argument. They are noisy as hell and stink as well. I wouldn't activity do anything to ban them, but like I said, would be nicer to not have them.

I'm surprised that they haven't already been banned here in CA, the ban capital of the country. Im sure that they'll get around to it sooner than later.

Old 05-01-2023, 02:25 PM

41,016 posts, read 18,242,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
The same way the used to keep them nice and tidy before blowers were invented?
Leaf blowers have been around for almost 80 years. But since you think it’s possible to maintain properties, especially huge ones like in the old olden days, one would have to at least double your crew and passing the huge amount of time occurred in expenses onto the customer, and you assume these types of workers that are going to rake acres and acres of a properly manually is anywhere near possible. It’s extremely difficult finding workers by making their lives easier with extremely efficient equipment.

Old 05-01-2023, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
And that is always the counter argument. I get both sides here really. That's kind of why I'm a little reluctant to outright ban them.

It would be much more labor intensive many people say and again, get that argument. They are noisy as hell and stink as well. I wouldn't activity do anything to ban them, but like I said, would be nicer to not have them.

I'm surprised that they haven't already been banned here in CA, the ban capital of the country. Im sure that they'll get around to it sooner than later.
It’s near impossible to do unless workers can be found to use manual equipment and be willing to pay huge amounts of money to maintain these properties.

Old 05-01-2023, 02:35 PM

Quote:
It’s near impossible to do unless workers can be found to use manual equipment and be willing to pay huge amounts of money to maintain these properties.
Yeah, it would be labor intensive, for sure. I'm not into EVs but battery powered blowers might have some appeal,at least to the green crowd, but whatever. That's a whole other subject.

Old 05-01-2023, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Yeah, it would be labor intensive, for sure. I'm not into EVs but battery powered blowers might have some appeal,at least to the green crowd, but whatever. That's a whole other subject.
Problem with EV this far is the lack of power and longevity of charge times. It’s just not possible for commercial businesses to use such equipment, and that’s not even taking into account the wear and tear of commercial useage. Not saying it won’t happen, but it’s nowhere near close to feasible. Many have no idea of the wear and tear on equipment and what it gets put through.

Old 05-01-2023, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Problem with EV this far is the lack of power and longevity of charge times. It’s just not possible for commercial businesses to use such equipment, and that’s not even taking into account the wear and tear of commercial useage. Not saying it won’t happen, but it’s nowhere near close to feasible. Many have no idea of the wear and tear on equipment and what it gets put through.
Yeah, commercial grade wear and tear is much worse than a backyard do it yourselfer, no doubt there.

Like I said before, I'm really surprised that the nanny state mentality here hasn't already banned leaf blowers.

Back in the late 90s I lived up in the Santa Barbara area for a while and they banned leaf blowers in the city proper, I think the county was ok, but the city they were a no no.

Bunch of well to do Karens up that way, probably why they were banned.

Old 05-01-2023, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Yeah, commercial grade wear and tear is much worse than a backyard do it yourselfer, no doubt there.

Like I said before, I'm really surprised that the nanny state mentality here hasn't already banned leaf blowers.

Back in the late 90s I lived up in the Santa Barbara area for a while and they banned leaf blowers in the city proper, I think the county was ok, but the city they were a no no.

Bunch of well to do Karens up that way, probably why they were banned.
I’m not so surprised because there’s so many people that take pride in where they live and the grounds in the properties where they live on, especially large properties. Without such equipment it’s a neverending job to try to keep up to make a property look nice/pristine.

As long as they’re willing to pay exorbitant prices and workers can be found to do the job/s, and they’re not in a hurry I could see it working in a city, if the lots aren’t so big. Finding employees, especially competent ones, is often a neverending battle, and customers usually want it done now now now, lol

Old 05-01-2023, 03:15 PM

9,376 posts, read 6,993,181 times
Literally anything and everything that you use and/or enjoy they are coming after. Trans your kids, ban your gas stoves, tax your roth ira retirement accounts, steal your equity in home value, tell you that your coffee consumption in racist, and make you blow leaves with your mouth.

Old 05-01-2023, 03:16 PM

61,837 posts, read 87,314,674 times
Quote:
Leaf blowers have been around for almost 80 years.
Not quite that old.
In 1968, Kyoritsu applied for a patent on a backpack blower mister design, and in 1972 established themselves in the United States as Kioritz Corporation of America, and is said to have invented the first leaf blower in 1977.

Leaf blowers were originally introduced in California. By 1990, annual sales were over 800,000 in the U.S., and the tool had become a ubiquitous gardening implement.

However, l don't remember them being such nuisance before 2000.
I guess, by now we are so accustomed to loud devices and constant noise, that we just don't really pay attention to it and many people even feel scared of silence.

With night sky illuminated by night pollutants and days overwhelmed with noise, we rarely have chance to enjoy nature anymore or have quiet moments.
It seems that most of us are also OK with that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.