Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2023, 12:42 PM

29,597 posts, read 14,732,100 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speleothem View Post
How did they obtain the weapons and would a new law have prevented it?
Perhaps some "gun free " zones, or maybe make murder illegal ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2023, 02:00 PM

45,529 posts, read 60,760,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ManApplet View Post
Nah. There is no control involved in this. And the current owner already went through the process to acquire it.

Follow the money. Law abiding citizens (LAC) for some strange reason do not want criminals on the street buying guns without background checks to have to go through them like the LAC themselves had to in the first place to obtain the gun.

This doesn't seem odd to you? Those folks ( subset of LAC ) are the target group for UBC.

But they want a market to sell their guns. Because they are front men or simply knowingly selling to those who would not lawfully qualify. Why would any LAC not want to put an end to that?

Simple greed. i.e. You buy a gun and shoot the barrel out ( or something) but can still flip it on the street for good $ while no sane person who could legally buy a new one would touch your junk. And you are willing to have society suffer the collateral damage for your small financial benefit. Free use of guns loophole for the immoral.
Oh, I guess that you expect that whatever street thug buys a gun from another street thug is going to get a NICS check prior to the transfer.

Is that what you're suggesting?

Old 05-20-2023, 02:27 PM

9,884 posts, read 10,997,057 times
Quote:
Very simple part of the overall solution. For every transaction. Why would law abiding citizens be opposed to this?

But, IS it a real solution? IIRC, nearly every perpetrator of gun violence PASSED a "Background Check" when he purchased the gun(s) used in the mass shooting he did!

Exactly what did that background check stop or prevent?

THAT is the problem with "Common Sense" gun control legislation: NONE of those "Common Sense" laws will actually prevent another mass shooting or any other gun crime. Think about it!

Old 05-20-2023, 02:51 PM

2,157 posts, read 1,222,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Oh, I guess that you expect that whatever street thug buys a gun from another street thug is going to get a NICS check prior to the transfer.

Is that what you're suggesting?
Your speculation aside, go back and read my posts again. It is about the first transfer from a documented situation via a non BC transfer. That is how you create an undocumented gun. The law should include that last known guy is holding the bag. That would greatly incentivize him to force the next buyer to go through a BC. If you want to take on the responsibility of gun ownership you need to be responsible right up through divesting of the piece. Or is it your position that irresponsible people should have guns?

Using your lingo, any non BC transfer would create 2 'thugs' (felons actually) . If they were not already. Do you and LAC not want criminals held accountable? UBC works towards that with no harm real nor perceived to LAC.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redraven View Post
But, IS it a real solution? .
It is part of the overall solution. A very simple, inexpensive, necessary, non intrusive, real, logical & sane part.
Quote:
. IIRC, nearly every perpetrator of gun violence PASSED a "Background Check" when he purchased the gun(s) used in the mass shooting he did!

Got stats to back that up or did you just make it up? We do not live in the land of make believe. I'd be happy to examine your references, supposing you have any legit ones. But your recollection is no basis for logical argument. How do we challenge that? Your premise has to be subject to vetting or it fails as does the rest.
Quote:
Exactly what did that background check stop or prevent?

THAT is the problem with "Common Sense" gun control legislation: NONE of those "Common Sense" laws will actually prevent another mass shooting or any other gun crime. Think about it!
Nothing is perfect but UBC is better than what we have. Every crime that doesn't happen/never happened for lack of a gun is prevented. Think about it.

Old 05-20-2023, 02:52 PM

10,253 posts, read 6,343,445 times
Background checks? Just for guns? I had to have a background check, fingerprinting, and drug test for work.

None of these posts have addressed inheritance of guns by spouses. For the past 48 years, I have been telling my husband to make a will out and leave his guns to somebody else. I do not want to inherit them and have to dispose of them if he dies before me. Can I legally own them? Sure, and I have all the legalities are in place to do so.

Once not long ago he bribed me with dinner afterwards to go to a gun show with him. He called me to look at some gun. Pick it up and hold it. How does it feel to you. WHY? It is for YOU!!!! I can buy it for you because I have had a background check and been fingerprinted.. DAMN, SO HAVE I. If I want to buy a gun, I could very easily do it myself!

More of an issue today since we are old and he is disabled. Minus any will and I inherit them, can I just ask the Commander at the local VFW to come take them, and do what you want with them? Donation, not selling to anyone. Am I allowed to do this?

Old 05-20-2023, 03:11 PM

45,529 posts, read 60,760,162 times
Quote:
Your speculation aside, go back and read my posts again. It is about the first transfer from a documented situation via a non BC transfer. That is how you create an undocumented gun. The law should include that last known guy is holding the bag. That would greatly incentivize him to force the next buyer to go through a BC. If you want to take on the responsibility of gun ownership you need to be responsible right up through divesting of the piece. Or is it your position that irresponsible people should have guns?

Using your lingo, any non BC transfer would create 2 'thugs' (felons actually) . If they were not already. Do you and LAC not want criminals held accountable? UBC works towards that with no harm real nor perceived to LAC. It is part of the overall solution. A very simple, inexpensive, necessary, non intrusive, real, logical & sane part. Got stats to back that up or did you just make it up? We do not live in the land of make believe. I'd be happy to examine your references, supposing you have any legit ones. But your recollection is no basis for logical argument. How do we challenge that? Your premise has to be subject to vetting or it fails as does the rest. Nothing is perfect but UBC is better than what we have. Every crime that doesn't happen/never happened for lack of a gun is prevented. Think about it.
If I sell you a shotgun it's going to be documented. There will be a bill of sale, I'll have a copy of your driver's license/ID, there will be another document where you acknowledge receipt. If I have no reason to believe you're a restricted person it's entirely legal.

Now, I probably wouldn't sell you that shotgun because, in my interactions, I've come to believe you're somewhat unstable, something no NICS check would pick up in any event.

And you're right, illegal transfers create two felons (if they aren't already). And that's something gun owners have been screaming to have enforced for decades.

Instead, what happens. Here, in an adjoining County, the majority of people arrested with illegal guns (meaning they're restricted due to age or criminal record or don't have the necessary clearance to own them), or are felons in possession, or commit a crime of violence using a firearm are released on their own recognizance after promising to behave themselves. And strangely enough, the names of the Judges/Court Commissioners who release them are never published even though every other crime report almost always names them.

Old 05-20-2023, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
If I sell you a shotgun it's going to be documented. There will be a bill of sale, I'll have a copy of your driver's license/ID, there will be another document where you acknowledge receipt. If I have no reason to believe you're a restricted person it's entirely legal.

That could go south on you. Even so, you are taking a risk to the public for no good reason other than your selfishness. Thanks bud. And then you say about me : you're somewhat unstable
Quote:
. Now, I probably wouldn't sell you that shotgun because, in my interactions, I've come to believe you're somewhat unstable, something no NICS check would pick up in any event.

And you're right, illegal transfers create two felons (if they aren't already). And that's something gun owners have been screaming to have enforced for decades.

Instead, what happens. Here, in an adjoining County, the majority of people arrested with illegal guns (meaning they're restricted due to age or criminal record or don't have the necessary clearance to own them), or are felons in possession, or commit a crime of violence using a firearm are released on their own recognizance after promising to behave themselves. .
Any chance you back that up or did you make it up?
Quote:
. And strangely enough, the names of the Judges/Court Commissioners who release them are never published even though every other crime report almost always names them.
in WI we can see every court filing including the judge, with rare exception.

Old 05-20-2023, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo48 View Post
Background checks? Just for guns? I had to have a background check, fingerprinting, and drug test for work.

None of these posts have addressed inheritance of guns by spouses. For the past 48 years, I have been telling my husband to make a will out and leave his guns to somebody else. I do not want to inherit them and have to dispose of them if he dies before me. Can I legally own them? Sure, and I have all the legalities are in place to do so.

Once not long ago he bribed me with dinner afterwards to go to a gun show with him. He called me to look at some gun. Pick it up and hold it. How does it feel to you. WHY? It is for YOU!!!! I can buy it for you because I have had a background check and been fingerprinted.. DAMN, SO HAVE I. If I want to buy a gun, I could very easily do it myself!

More of an issue today since we are old and he is disabled. Minus any will and I inherit them, can I just ask the Commander at the local VFW to come take them, and do what you want with them? Donation, not selling to anyone. Am I allowed to do this?
Just send them to me at my expense. You take them to a local dealer and he ships to my dealer and I pay all the fees. Why wait? Do it next week

Old 05-20-2023, 05:15 PM

9,544 posts, read 4,370,746 times
Quote:
Very simple part of the overall solution. For every transaction. Why would law abiding citizens be opposed to this?
Need more context. What kind of transaction? Buying a loaf of bread? A house? What "overall solution"? Solution to what?

Old 05-20-2023, 05:20 PM

8,947 posts, read 2,975,589 times
Quote:
We already have them.

Back in the 185 years before we had them, there was far less gun crime than now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies