Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Border Walls to prevent illegal immigrants
Yes 146 74.49%
No 50 25.51%
Voters: 196. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2023, 05:56 PM

63,015 posts, read 29,223,046 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by crone View Post
The resident wall/immigration expert has spoken.

Now, I want a wall across the whole southern border.

Then a monthly count on how many get in anyway. Does anybody think the CBP or any security is up to the job?

Why are we not deporting any long time Visa overstays?
As usual you anti-wall, pro-illegal type deflect to the visa over stayers. Of course they should be deported and how do you know that they aren't? Why aren't we deporting the border jumpers?

Let's compare less than a million visa over stayers whom we at least know something about to millions of border jumpers whom we know nothing about. Yeah, that makes sense!

Old 06-03-2023, 06:47 PM

23,768 posts, read 12,650,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytrump View Post
This was your suggestion, unless I missed a post. Some owners already declined . The Indians said absolutely not, not treading on our burial grounds. The Feds may not give up their protected properties and the animal people will scream if a baby animal can’t reach the next watering hole. In any case.
If you read my post then you would have seen where I'd addressed what to do if people want illegals on their land. Let them keep the illegals on their lands and let them take care of them, but don't allow the illegals to enter the rest of the country. Land owners/tribes will get tired of it soon enough, when the numbers of illegals on their lands reach thousands, tens of thousands+.
Quote:
I think there’s 100 miles of distance from border to ownership. Right? Plenty of space for walls and electrical boxes , bunkers or even holding areas. Seems good. But the Congress is not paying for all what you suggested. Lucky they get a new vehicle, and that was during a trumps time.

Here’s the problem. Some want something done. Many don’t want a wall. The wall the folks themselves built had to be torn down. But here is some happiness for you. A new 30ft wall being constructed by Friendship Park in San Diego, but people already complaining.

The federal government defines a “reasonable distance” as 100 air miles from any external boundary of the U.S. So, combining this federal regulation and the federal law regarding warrantless vehicle searches, CBP claims authority to board a bus or train without a warrant anywhere within this 100-mile zone.

Two-thirds of the U.S. population, or about 200 million people, reside within this expanded border region, according to the 2010 census. Most of the 10 largest cities in the U.S., such as New York City, Los Angeles, and Chicago, fall in this region. Some states, like Florida, lie entirely within this border band so their entire populations are impacted.

https://www.aclu.org/know-your-rights/border-zone

About 19 million people live along the southern border with Mexico, according to the U.S. Census Data. And an estimated 11 million people in Mexico live along the border with the U.S., according to the latest INEGI data

The U.S.-Mexico border is home to six different ecological regions, ranging from desert scrub to grasslands and marshes, which are bisected by the border line and threatened by further wall construction. Defenders of Wildlife have identified five borderland conservation hot-spots among these ecoregions that contain high concentrations of ecological diversity which is threatened by the construction of border wall.
The deadly and wasteful border wall has disrupted the natural environment of hundreds of species living along the U.S.-Mexico border by impacting habitats and undermining decades of conservation work. Construction of infrastructure has killed animals directly or has disrupted habitat connectivity, further endangering critical species unique to this region.

https://www.southernborder.org/borde...%20map%20below).

As I had said, if illegals weren't flocking here then there'd be no reason for a wall. If nature is being impacted then blame the ones that are responsible for that...those who try to enter this country illegally.

Old 06-03-2023, 07:00 PM

24,026 posts, read 15,129,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
As usual you anti-wall, pro-illegal type deflect to the visa over stayers. Of course they should be deported and how do you know that they aren't? Why aren't we deporting the border jumpers?

Let's compare less than a million visa over stayers whom we at least know something about to millions of border jumpers whom we know nothing about. Yeah, that makes sense!
In my perfect world there would be armed military every 100 feet along the border. Anyone without a green card would be deported. No one would get any benefits. their sponsors would be financially responsible
But that will never happen. Illegal kids should get a permanent green card. But no benefits and no bringing in relatives.

Old 06-03-2023, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by berdee View Post
If you read my post then you would have seen where I'd addressed what to do if people want illegals on their land. Let them keep the illegals on their lands and let them take care of them, but don't allow the illegals to enter the rest of the country. Land owners/tribes will get tired of it soon enough, when the numbers of illegals on their lands reach thousands, tens of thousands+.

As I had said, if illegals weren't flocking here then there'd be no reason for a wall. If nature is being impacted then blame the ones that are responsible for that...those who try to enter this country illegally.
Again, that poster thinks that animal life is more important than the safety and security of human Americans. Unbelievable! Who thinks that way?

Old 06-03-2023, 07:30 PM

14,237 posts, read 4,611,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crone View Post
In my perfect world there would be armed military every 100 feet along the border. Anyone without a green card would be deported. No one would get any benefits. their sponsors would be financially responsible
But that will never happen. Illegal kids should get a permanent green card. But no benefits and no bringing in relatives.
And what about illegal kids that will be here in the US in the future?

Old 06-03-2023, 07:44 PM

5,743 posts, read 3,616,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Du Ma View Post
Serious answer....

When I was assigned to Yuma Sector years ago with BP, we did not have any barrier between Mexico/US. Drug and human smugglers loaded illegals and drugs on their all-terrain vehicles and waltz through the border unimpeded. That illegal activity stopped when George Bush sent Army Corp of Engineer to put up a fence (Secure Fence Act of 2006)

Obstacles, manmade or natural, are not to completely stop illegal entry, but it can slow down the smugglers so CBP can send out a team to deal with them.

Is the main door to your house can stop a determined home intruder? no. But it slows down the intruder so you can call 911 or load your shotgun.
If that is the objective, you have a point. But the purpose in the US is the same as it was in Berlinn -- to deny people freedom of movement.

For drug enforcement. I suspect the fence at Yuma just diverted the same drug flow to another crossing point.

Old 06-03-2023, 08:22 PM

14,237 posts, read 4,611,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arr430 View Post
If that is the objective, you have a point. But the purpose in the US is the same as it was in Berlinn -- to deny people freedom of movement.

For drug enforcement. I suspect the fence at Yuma just diverted the same drug flow to another crossing point.
Berlin Wall divided ONE country into two

US/Mex border wall divided TWO countries into two

Also, it’s against federal law to cross between port of entries, so whether the wall is there or not is irrelevant

Old 06-03-2023, 08:28 PM

Quote:

Also, it’s against federal law to cross between port of entries, so whether the wall is there or not is irrelevant
Amazing that you have to point that out to them, isn't it? They know though they are just playing games.

Old 06-03-2023, 08:34 PM

6,701 posts, read 3,003,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arr430 View Post
Quote:
Banks wave walls to deny people freedom of movement. lol

Sounds like some Sov Cit lingo actually.

Old 06-03-2023, 08:38 PM

35,755 posts, read 21,113,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by berdee View Post

I hear you, but I’m practical. The Congress is not going to pay for it, nor will they address anything to improve the immigration system. Some walls are effective, but not the 2000 miles. And if you do a wall, they will dig or climb. The Cubans n Haitians etc come by water. Many die, but still the come. Jobs, is #1 reason. Cut the source.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies