Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2023, 07:56 AM

9,569 posts, read 5,628,150 times

Advertisements

Hope this Judge has a safe space before the Anti-Woke Mob gets to him !
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2023, 07:56 AM

23,638 posts, read 12,553,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oklazona Bound View Post
Because these groups have been showing up at drag queen shows and trying to burn down churches. There is some reason to think they might be at this event in Tennessee.
Either they were getting threats or they weren't...which way has it 'been proven' to be?

Old 06-04-2023, 07:59 AM

30,065 posts, read 18,674,911 times
Quote:
I agree with the judge on this. And I do think its the parents responsibility to keep them from any sort of adult entertainment. Not the nanny state.

Trump-appointed judge rejects Tennessee’s anti-drag law as too broad, too vague

NASHVILLE, Tenn. (AP) — Tennessee’s first-in-the-nation law designed to place strict limits on drag shows is unconstitutional, a federal judge says.

The law is both “unconstitutionally vague and substantially overbroad” and encouraged “discriminatory enforcement,” according to the ruling late Friday by U.S. District Judge Thomas Parker, who was appointed by former President Donald Trump.

“There is no question that obscenity is not protected by the First Amendment. But there is a difference between material that is ‘obscene’ in the vernacular, and material that is ‘obscene’ under the law,” Parker said.
I'm a conservative and agree with the judge.

Free speech must be tolerated, even when you ardently disagree with it.

This is what separates us from the intolerant, evil left- support of free speech and The Constitution.

You will NEVER see a liberal supporting free speech for conservatives, however, as they are fascists at heart who only want "free speech" for themselves.

Old 06-04-2023, 07:59 AM

18,106 posts, read 15,683,109 times
Judges are appointed, and they get to decide on legal disputes.

If you don't live in TN, why worry about a law that doesn't affect you?

Old 06-04-2023, 08:02 AM

30,170 posts, read 11,809,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
I'm a conservative and agree with the judge.

Free speech must be tolerated, even when you ardently disagree with it.

This is what separates us from the intolerant, evil left- support of free speech and The Constitution.

You will NEVER see a liberal supporting free speech for conservatives, however, as they are fascists at heart who only want "free speech" for themselves.
But wait. It was conservatives who crafted this law and passed it in Tennessee.

Old 06-04-2023, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by berdee View Post
Either they were getting threats or they weren't...which way has it 'been proven' to be?
I have no idea. They should not be making up fake threats if that was what happened.

But like I said these neo-nazi groups are showing up at these kind of events so I would not be surprised if they were planning to be there but the large police presence scared them off of that idea.

Last edited by Oklazona Bound; 06-04-2023 at 09:14 AM..

Old 06-04-2023, 09:04 AM

2,024 posts, read 1,316,096 times
Here's the law.
https://www.capitol.tn.gov/Bills/113/Bill/SB0003.pdf

On the surface, it does nothing to prohibit the drag queen story hour for children, if they're dressed in the frilly 1800's granny outfit that seems typical
But as for the g-string lap dancer types, it outlaws that in public places, but you can still do that in adult club places, and those don't allow kids anyway.

But then there is the phrase "or similar entertainers". That is kind of vague in a way that might outlaw cheerleaders at football games and who knows what else.

Old 06-04-2023, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thulsa View Post
Here's the law.
https://www.capitol.tn.gov/Bills/113/Bill/SB0003.pdf

On the surface, it does nothing to prohibit the drag queen story hour for children, if they're dressed in the frilly 1800's granny outfit that seems typical
But as for the g-string lap dancer types, it outlaws that in public places, but you can still do that in adult club places, and those don't allow kids anyway.

But then there is the phrase "or similar entertainers". That is kind of vague in a way that might outlaw cheerleaders at football games and who knows what else.
Reality is there are laws on the books already that ban children viewing obscene things in public. This was directed at drag performers. And that alone makes it unconstitutional.

Old 06-04-2023, 09:26 AM

23,638 posts, read 12,553,459 times
Quote:
I have no idea. No they should be making up fake threats.
Typo? Asking to give you the benefit of the doubt. (never mind, I see you edited the post to include the word "not")

Quote:
But like I said these neo-nazi groups are showing up at these kind of events so I would not be surprised if they were planning to be there but the large police presence scared them off of that idea.
Excuses? There usually isn't a large police presence for large events, no matter the nature of the event? There are cops at all events, no matter the size or nature of the event, even where protesters/counter protesters show up. Cops don't seem to deter protesters from protesting anywhere, if it did then no protester would ever protest.

Unless there is solid proof then take it for what it likely was, the claim was made to gin up sympathy and to sow division.

Old 06-04-2023, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Typo? Asking to give you the benefit of the doubt. (never mind, I see you edited the post to include the word "not")
Its Sunday morning and I guess my coffee has not fully kicked in.

Quote:
Excuses? There usually isn't a large police presence for large events, no matter the nature of the event? There are cops at all events, no matter the size or nature of the event, even where protesters/counter protesters show up. Cops don't seem to deter protesters from protesting anywhere, if it did then no protester would ever protest.

Unless there is solid proof then take it for what it likely was, the claim was made to gin up sympathy and to sow division.
Apparently you have to go through police check points looking for weapons, etc. There is more security than most would expect. But I get your point. Sure it might have been made up. We may never know. The MSM is not going to push for the truth I know that. However anyone can call up claiming to be with Aryan Nations, even ANTIFA could have made the call. There is not litmus test for being a neo-nazi on a phone call. But I will say this without the neo-nazis showing up at these sorts of events as they have been the past couple years this story would not have been taken as seriously.

Last edited by Oklazona Bound; 06-04-2023 at 09:48 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies