Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2023, 09:24 AM

6,389 posts, read 2,715,560 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oklazona Bound View Post
So do you have actual statistics of what percentage of these drag shows where children are present that where people are exposing themselves in front of children? I have only seen one photo of such a thing and it turned out the person was not exposing themselves.
You don't have to expose yourself to be inappropriate for kids.

Would it be okay for a Strip Bar to have a "Famly Friendly" strip show? I mean what's wrong with a group of 3rd graders going to a strip bar(no alcohol) where the women keep their string bikinis on(no private parts showing) and just dance around poles and move their bodies for 20 minutes? Same thing...Right?

Quote:
If they are just reading to children, the parents take them to the event and nothing sexual goes no. What is the problem?
Same example as above. Replace "Drag Queen" with "Stripper" and let me know if there is a problem.

Quote:
As it stands parents can take small children to an R rated movie where nudity and all sorts of sexual stuff might be seen by those children including the possibility of a drag performer doing sexual stuff on the screen. Why are there no protests outside of movie theaters?
And you have just shown why this push on Drag Shows for kids is bad. There is nothing illegal about taking a child to an "R" Rated movie. In fact, it is just a guide that says anyone under 17 should be with an adult. However, I have NEVER heard anyone call an "R" Rated movie "Family Friendly" either. You know basically what you are getting when you go to an "R" Rated movie. This is NOT the same as some organizers calling their Drag Show "Family Friendly" and showing it in a public event where many people may not have the same definition.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2023, 09:32 AM

30,174 posts, read 11,815,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Joshua View Post
The problem is that the vast majority of pretty much everyone's experience with drag are hypersexualized raunchy performances or less frequently impersonations. Now all of a sudden these people feel the need to read to children???

I didn't see any of this when I was a kid yet I am able to go to a drag show and not feel the need to beat up anyone, how on earth is this possible??
How many drag show story hours have you personally been to?

Old 06-05-2023, 09:39 AM

30,174 posts, read 11,815,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankNSense View Post
You don't have to expose yourself to be inappropriate for kids.

Would it be okay for a Strip Bar to have a "Famly Friendly" strip show? I mean what's wrong with a group of 3rd graders going to a strip bar(no alcohol) where the women keep their string bikinis on(no private parts showing) and just dance around poles and move their bodies for 20 minutes? Same thing...Right?
Drag queens are not strippers. They don't wear string bikinis. Its apples to oranges. Yes it would be wrong if they are doing what you are saying but they are not.

We're not strippers!': What to know about drag queens (and kings)

Are drag queens strippers?

Drag shows rarely involve nudity. In fact, quite the opposite: Drag queens usually wear even more clothing than most people, including elaborate ball gowns and, for drag kings, bindings to minimize their real breasts.

"Drag performers often wear more, not less, clothing than you’d see at Naples Beach," says Callhan Soldavini, a board member of Naples PrideFest organizers Naples Pride. "I have never seen nudity at a drag show. Drag doesn’t typically involve nudity or stripping. That’s a totally separate form of entertainment.”

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankNSense View Post
And you have just shown why this push on Drag Shows for kids is bad. There is nothing illegal about taking a child to an "R" Rated movie. In fact, it is just a guide that says anyone under 17 should be with an adult. However, I have NEVER heard anyone call an "R" Rated movie "Family Friendly" either. You know basically what you are getting when you go to an "R" Rated movie. This is NOT the same as some organizers calling their Drag Show "Family Friendly" and showing it in a public event where many people may not have the same definition.
You are actually making my point. One of the instances where children were at an event that was more adult oriented the parents were told that it was not family friendly but went anyways. I think adult oriented drag shows are bad for kids as are R rated movies. If I had young kids now I would not take them to either. But I am fine leaving it up to the parents to decide if its ok or not. Not the government.

So why not just make it like R rated movies? Under 17 must be with an adult instead of making it illegal. Have a warning notice like movies.

Last edited by Oklazona Bound; 06-05-2023 at 09:54 AM..

Old 06-05-2023, 10:04 AM

23,635 posts, read 12,561,414 times
Quote:
https://www.localmemphis.com/article...1-1d79a4e93b2b

“Everyone is going to be wanded, all the bags are going to be searched upon entering the park, so if you have a clear bag, that will make that line go along a lot quicker, along with purchasing your ticket ahead of time,” said Rodley.
It doesn't seem like the "large" police presence is due to the alleged and unproven threat by the neo-nazis.

They were being very accommodating to the protesters. They'd providing areas for them to protest and if they're found protesting inside the park then they'd be ushered back to the protest areas instead of being arrested for protesting inside the park, etc.

From your link:

For several people however, protests are the main concern. These are nothing new for Memphis Pride Fest, Rodley says protests happen every year.

This year those concerns are magnified because of the drag-limiting law, however protests are not outlawed. Special areas will be designated outside Robert Church Park, where protestors can freely express their first amendment right.

“We may not like what they’re saying, but we have to provide them that safe space, just like we want that space,” said Rodley.

I'm just not seeing how this would, as you claim, scare off the neo-nazis.

Quote:
I am sure the neo-nazis are not at every event. Some of them might actually have jobs. But this is a big event not just drag queen story hour at a coffee shop. Also a bigger police presence than outside a coffee shop.
You had previously said:
Quote:
But I will say this without the neo-nazis showing up at these sorts of events as they have been the past couple years this story would not have been taken as seriously.
A protest group that sometimes shows up and when they do they apparently do not do anywhere near the damage that blm antifa does. It would seem that the level of concern by those in the public is due to nothing but hype based off of an unproven claim and screaming stories by the left media.

There is always concern when any of these groups show up, but the level of concern should fit the level of the violence committed by each group. Anyway, it's good that the authorities are now trying to control the actions instead of letting the protesters and the "mostly peaceful protesters"run wild like they'd done with blm antifa.

Old 06-05-2023, 11:33 AM

14,483 posts, read 11,289,544 times
Quote:
How many drag show story hours have you personally been to?
How many adult drag shows have you been to? My point is that most of us have been to drag shows and our experience tells us that even the material being presented isn't going to make a difference. Drag performances have always been adult oriented. Why do you think the shows are always in 21+ nightclubs starting at 9 pm?

Old 06-05-2023, 11:56 AM

6,389 posts, read 2,715,560 times
Quote:
Drag queens are not strippers. They don't wear string bikinis. Its apples to oranges. Yes it would be wrong if they are doing what you are saying but they are not.

We're not strippers!': What to know about drag queens (and kings)

Are drag queens strippers?

Drag shows rarely involve nudity. In fact, quite the opposite: Drag queens usually wear even more clothing than most people, including elaborate ball gowns and, for drag kings, bindings to minimize their real breasts.

"Drag performers often wear more, not less, clothing than you’d see at Naples Beach," says Callhan Soldavini, a board member of Naples PrideFest organizers Naples Pride. "I have never seen nudity at a drag show. Drag doesn’t typically involve nudity or stripping. That’s a totally separate form of entertainment.”
And I made it very clear that the stripers weren't actually "stripping" but if they did everything else that they normally do..is that still appropriate. Put them in full-length ball gowns, Yoga Pants and a T-Shirt, Parka and Snow Boots. If they still do the rest of their act does that make it any better?

Also interesting how you qualified Drag Performerers as "Often Wear more", and "doesn't typically involve nudity".

Old 06-05-2023, 12:52 PM

23,635 posts, read 12,561,414 times
Quote:
So do you have actual statistics of what percentage of these drag shows where children are present that where people are exposing themselves in front of children?
Has anyone compiled those statistics yet?
Quote:
I have only seen one photo of such a thing and it turned out the person was not exposing themselves.

If they are just reading to children, the parents take them to the event and nothing sexual goes no. What is the problem?

As it stands parents can take small children to an R rated movie where nudity and all sorts of sexual stuff might be seen by those children including the possibility of a drag performer doing sexual stuff on the screen. Why are there no protests outside of movie theaters?
If all you have seen is one photo then you are not looking.

There's been media stores and also threads on here that discuss these drag shows, and not in a good light. Drag performers in skimpy outfits, bared breasts (augmented or fake), g-strings, etc. Handing out dollar bills to the kids so the kids can give them back to the performers, and sometimes made to tuck the bills into parts of clothing or g-strings. Making highly suggestive comments, movements and dances. Giving lap dances to children. Teaching young children how to walk in a sexually suggestive manner. Stripping in front of the children, etc.

A thread in here about children being given lap dances by a drag performer during a pride event at the school:
https://www.city-data.com/forum/poli...l#post65094208

""How the LA Zoo is sexualizing kids with 'family friendly' drag shows"

Drag shows are much more like glorified strip shows than anything most parents imagine as 'family friendly' entertainment
"
https://www.foxnews.com/opinion/la-z...end-drag-shows

^Read the article and watch the interview that Jesse Watters had done with a drag performer who is against "drag shows for kids". The interview is split screen to show the performances of the "family friendly"

An interview with undercover reporter Tayler Hansen regarding a "family friendly" drag show, which is clearly not child friendly, that was performed in 18 states:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XWcDOwH9UE4

Another interview with Hansen with more info but no video or pictures because they're offensive and disturbing:
https://texasscorecard.com/austin/gr...ges-drag-show/

Regarding a not so "family friendly" drag show in Oklahoma that even some young parents were outraged over:
https://www.washingtontimes.com/news...-anything-but/

Even Australians are outraged by these so called "family friendly" drag shows:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-8g3q9-l61k

As you can see there are plenty of stories out there, far more than what I'd listed in here. That you hadn't seen them means that you don't even care to look. You are going with what you're told by the left media because it's what you want to hear.

Quote:
And now you know differently.

Old 06-08-2023, 10:11 AM

18,504 posts, read 15,567,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Joshua View Post
How many adult drag shows have you been to? My point is that most of us have been to drag shows and our experience tells us that even the material being presented isn't going to make a difference. Drag performances have always been adult oriented. Why do you think the shows are always in 21+ nightclubs starting at 9 pm?
Because a lot of drag queens have day jobs. Shows don't pay enough, and a lot are done for free, to raise money for charity.

I have been to dozens of drag shows. I have NEVER seen anything that could be called obscene. I've seen some sexual innuendos a la Mae West. It is rare that I saw anything that border on vulgar.

Most shows are either them lip syncing to a major pop star, or less popular now, old time singers like Streisand.

TV has changed drag, and you do get some more out there looks, but no more than a creative dance group would do in many ways.

The talent runs the gamut, for truly bad to truly amazing, like all entertainment.

If the story about Australia is accurate, then I'm surprised there wasn't warning on the ads for the show , saying adult content. If there wasn't that was the fault of the promotors, not the drag queens.

EDIT: Just looked up Rita Panahi. She is a right wing American/Australian " journalist ". She has an agenda. I'm suspecting that the clip is misrepresenting for political points.

Last edited by Natnasci; 06-08-2023 at 10:20 AM..

Old 06-08-2023, 10:13 AM

12,716 posts, read 7,819,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
Lincoln-appointed judge rejects Tennessee’s anti-blackface law as too broad, too vague
No laws against blackface nor should there be. Stigma keeps blackface from being a widespread thing in our era, but if people want to do it, that's their right. It's also others' right to call them racist.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies