Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2008, 04:07 PM

24,620 posts, read 28,341,538 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Losertarian View Post
I am doing alot better now than I was 8 years ago. the facist zipperhead called clinton was in office then, and I am doing a hell of alot better now than I ever was during the clintoon dictaitorship.
Clinton was elected twice, not enthroned by the SCOTUS.
People actually voted for him.
Might want to try a dictionary or spellcheck in the future.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2008, 04:57 PM

24,522 posts, read 33,401,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
Clinton was elected twice, not enthroned by the SCOTUS.
People actually voted for him.
Might want to try a dictionary or spellcheck in the future.
Bush was elected twice, too. He won enough electoral votes both in 2000 and 2004 to win the presidency.

He won in 2000 even with the Gore camp trying to change the rules after an election. Fortunately, the SCOTUS put a stop to the endless, illegal hand recounts.

Old 06-01-2008, 05:11 PM

3,674 posts, read 10,625,870 times
In response to the original thread question....yes I am much better off now than I was 8 years ago. My salary have more than doubled since 2001, I now own my own home and land. My cars are paid for, I can help take care of my extended family and still have vacation money. My job outlook is stabil as contrasted to the industry outsourcing trend growing during the late 90's. (Outsourcing is still going strong, but no longer growing in my industry).

Under the great Clinton economy I saw my salary decrease by almost 10% from 1996-1999 and vanish altogether in 2000 when my employer closed operations. I was out of work for 10 months looking for work. Under the evil Bush empire, I have seen job opportunities grow to the point that as a consultant I have not been without work since 2004. I have even been requested to leave contracts wrapping up early to join new projects due the workload demands.

Even with gas, food and inflation increases, I am still ahead of where I was 8 years ago.

What you didn't ask was how much better I was doing after Reagan than before Reagan. That was a much better ride than the one I got from Bush. I have only lost economically under Carter and Clinton. Go figure.

Old 06-01-2008, 05:21 PM

10,659 posts, read 10,759,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
As the General Election kicks off today, Obama should dig up this old mantra that Reagan used so effectively twice. My guessing is that it will work well for him in November.
lets see 8 yrs ago I was making 36k a year now it's 80k,,, yea I'm doing better...........

Old 06-01-2008, 06:05 PM

11,944 posts, read 14,816,627 times
johnrex- smart to see the divorce between traditional employer relationship, but how odd you attribute that to clinton since it predates him in reagan era. The average american who is dependant upon that relationship by proffession has a different outcome. I saw what it was and didn't count on them anymore, diversified appropriately, so I prospered during clinton yrs as a result. I was rewarded consistently for being fiscally responsible.

Odd you can't see the economic situation in carter era (generated over 60 yrs cumulative policy problems, not attributed by any particular party) was also prime environment for investors not holding a dollar to come here with growth in mind. They proped up the value of a dollar in a way, but now anyone wanting to pull margin calls can bankrupt us completely as a nation. So much for deregulation and the fed.

You're coming across as standing above others bragging about how you got yours and how it's their own fault for participating in civilization. Do you really believe you are impervious to the larger sea change that's been brewing for decades? Your assets and livelihood are going to see changes in the near future. You'll blame the person coming to try to fix those problems? You'll attribute it to the wrong source of your misery?

I'm not psychic, I just see troubled economic pervasiveness and solutions being applied at all the wrong levels. What would be more honest and less contemptuous way to answer the same posted question is to state how you've achieved economic independance. Can you honestly say it's completely above the american economy?

The successes I've achieved were in spite of bush yrs. It took considerable effort to get around participating in this nightmare, but I didn't get around it completely unscathed due to elevated taxation. I have zero debt as well. Truth will out over time, of course, but it's not helpful for anyone to delude themselves in present tense, nor is it helpful to stand above others completely aloof to the larger tides that determine our collective standard of living. This is still one nation. Teach them to fish before you blame.

Old 06-01-2008, 06:16 PM

11,944 posts, read 14,816,627 times
myford, same applies to you.

Old 06-01-2008, 06:32 PM

15,900 posts, read 21,522,041 times
My family is doing much, much, much, much, much worse. I can't really compare my life as I was 12 years old when Bush got into office, so the only change I've seen on a personal level is first hand having my education destroyed by NCLB. My mother was laid off by the school system because NCLB resulted in the budget being cut for parapros/teachers aides. My dad's employer outsourced his entire branch of the company- which wasn't supposed to happen for those in management positions - and was unemployed for 5 years only to have to settle for a job making half of that.

In terms of employment for my generation, my brother and I were not able to get jobs in high school because so many middle aged people had lost their jobs that there was no room to hire teenagers- especially teenagers without cars. Luckily, not having a job paid off more than the city's average income for each of us in scholarships. However, in college, most people I know had at least one parent who got laid off and had been unemployed for at least 6 months. It's really insane.

Old 06-01-2008, 06:46 PM

3,160 posts, read 4,376,997 times
yes,
as a matter of fact, Im a lot better off now than 7-8 years ago.
Everyone one close to me is also better off, not a little better but a LOT better.

thansk for asking.

Old 06-01-2008, 07:57 PM

41,325 posts, read 45,043,474 times
Quote:
Bush was elected twice, too. He won enough electoral votes both in 2000 and 2004 to win the presidency.
Yes. At least "W" got a majority of the vote. Bubba never did.

Old 06-01-2008, 08:09 PM

24,522 posts, read 33,401,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
Yes. At least "W" got a majority of the vote. Bubba never did.
Good point. Clinton never got more than 49%. He was hoping to so he could call his reelection a "mandate."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies