Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2023, 04:10 PM

3,566 posts, read 1,521,594 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoonose View Post
The bank might know more about any inter-related financials of the employees and family.
There should be customer protections around this. None of us know why they shut down his bank account. However, if he were to call, my guess is they will refuse to say and just cite that just like he can quit banking with them whenever he wants, they can do the same.

That kind of leniency leads to all sorts of abuse. Also, if this was his only bank account, he won't have access to funds for at least 10 business days.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2023, 04:13 PM

45,701 posts, read 27,308,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoSox 15 View Post
Many people on this forum even. At the beginning of the month there were a group of people celebrating the Supreme Court's ruling that businesses can discriminate in the name of free speech.

Assuming the conspiracy theorists are right, and this is solely based on a COVID position, the bank was within its rights. These are the types of rights the extreme right was fighting for.

Probably will be more of this type of activity on both sides of the aisle.
I don't think this has to do with the decision of free speech made earlier this month. I thought that was more about religious views - which doesn't apply here.

But I get your point - and it's valid, except for this.

Private business can operate like they want.

Any company directly attached (or contracted) to government should serve everyone. I think big banks fit into this category.

Old 07-26-2023, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
I don't think this has to do with the decision of free speech made earlier this month. I thought that was more about religious views - which doesn't apply here.

But I get your point - and it's valid, except for this.

Private business can operate like they want.

Any company directly attached (or contracted) to government should serve everyone. I think big banks fit into this category.
I think banks are basically similar to utilities. You need them to survive. It's not like a cake baker. Can you imagine if Con Edison shut down power to your home because they don't like your politics?

Old 07-26-2023, 04:21 PM

76,971 posts, read 47,731,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daryl_G View Post
Is this belief solely based on this statement in the article .

We would not know this company’s transaction history so I am just asking what info is this claim based on?
The Covid thing is taken out of thin air, but nowadays people will believe anything and everything, - no, they WANT TO believe anything as long as it lines up with their bias. What the heck would banks care about peoples opinion about Covid. Who cares about Covid anymore other than those who are obsessed with the conspiracies.

Banks have their red flag systems for things like money laundering, suspicious Zelle transactions and transactions to certain countries. Many, it not most, banks recently banned certain money transfers to Mexico.

My guess is that they had either suspicious Zelle transactions, or they were trying to send money to Mexico. Or....repeated negative balance, repeated overdraft, bounced checks, policy violations, or fraud.

Old 07-26-2023, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
The Covid thing is taken out of thin air, but nowadays people will believe anything and everything, - no, they WANT TO believe anything as long as it lines up with their bias. What the heck would banks care about peoples opinion about Covid. Who cares about Covid anymore other than those who are obsessed with the conspiracies.

Banks have their red flag systems for things like money laundering, suspicious Zelle transactions and transactions to certain countries. Many, it not most, banks recently banned certain money transfers to Mexico.

My guess is that they had either suspicious Zelle transactions, or they were trying to send money to Mexico
Doesn't apply to ACH payments or wire transfers. It's really cash deposits. Re Mexico. Would not apply to a US business. May apply to a Mexican business trying to deposit over 4,000 in US banknotes in 1 month, in a US bank.

Old 07-26-2023, 05:00 PM

18,870 posts, read 8,514,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaikikiWaves View Post
I think banks are basically similar to utilities. You need them to survive. It's not like a cake baker. Can you imagine if Con Edison shut down power to your home because they don't like your politics?
Utilities are essentially local monopolies, and unlike banks in that very important characteristic. Except maybe in tiny communities, one can move to another local bank quite easily. And with online banking, the opportunities and choices would be much larger.

Old 07-26-2023, 05:03 PM

45,676 posts, read 24,076,865 times
'Suspicions of.'....implies that someone has been creating a hypothesis without any concrete evidence.

I mean you can base your rants on 'suspicions'....or not.

I wonder if the business model was bad.

Old 07-26-2023, 05:32 PM

11,751 posts, read 6,124,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
Actually I think they are running trial balloons with these cases today for more widespread use down the road.

But COVID is the link with the cases mentioned in the OP - which is why I highlighted it.

Well, ESG is all the rage and we could be seeing Chase closing accounts over it. I just don't know. We will have to see if it continues.

I would also want to know what percentage of accounts closed in 2023 were high profile guys being closed out for no apparent reason. I mean, is it 50% or 0.5%?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies