Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2023, 12:05 AM

9,011 posts, read 13,854,349 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Du Ma View Post
why are you assuming Asian students are only book worms and not "social smarts"?

are you implying an Asian student with impressive academic record and involved extracurricular activities (i.e. volunteering for a non-profit organization or President of a club) are not "social smarts"?

What is your definition of "social smarts" anyway?

https://www.thecrimson.com/article/2...iscrimination/
I am not assuming at all.

But many on this board believe that colleges and universities should go by merit and test scores for admission only.

But now colleges and universities want to use other criteria for admission.Like special extracurricular activities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2023, 12:07 AM

9,011 posts, read 13,854,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko20 View Post
"Blacks score higher on social aspect like likeability, charisma, and charm?"

What test is scoring this? Please tell us.

Then black people wouldn't be the poorest with the lowest income.

Blacks, who are the lowest on the totem pole, need a lot more than "charm and charisma" to make a living.

I know plenty of charismatic blacks who are flipping burgers.
Yes we would. Racism is still a factor. How do you not know this?

Old 08-27-2023, 09:29 AM

2,219 posts, read 3,370,957 times
While Affirmative Action hasn’t been used in California for years, there are other programs that take AA's place. Both the California State College’s and UC’s have(different) partner programs with California high schools. The high schools that take part in this program have a high percentage of students who are first generation, English language learners, and socioeconomically disadvantaged (and partner schools are low scoring academically). The programs target high academic students at those high schools.

If a student that took part in those programs is admitted to the college, the college has extensive mentoring, tutoring, and academic assistance available to them.

Here's UC Berkeley's program https://eaop.berkeley.edu/partnerships/school-partners. Each UC has the program.

And each Cal States U has their program. This is Cal Poly SLO’s program https://www.calpoly.edu/partner-students

Old 08-31-2023, 05:31 PM

73,075 posts, read 62,706,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygal4u View Post
[/b]

I see plenty of workers that get promoted using charm and charisma. They were not smart. They do not even have the degrees required. This applies to both men and women.

Meanwhile the smart workers gets overlooked because they do not have charm or charisma,and are introverted.

I am not sure if the American workplace has always been this way.
I've seen it in the workplace myself.

Old 09-01-2023, 09:12 AM

21,953 posts, read 9,541,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
The rates go down because they can't pay - which should be the case.

The answer is to make education more affordable by removing the government (and all of its overhead) from the higher education revenue stream.

Or - go to trade school. If you are proficient at a trade today, you can make a ton of money.

We need to stop thinking there is only one way through higher education to have a life.

---------------

If you want to say its systemic racism - look at who got the government involved in student loans, because that's the point where the prices skyrocketed.

I graduated in 1990 from a mid major school... didn't stay in the dorms... had $5,000 in student loans after 4.5 years from my local credit union.
Another benefit of Barack Obama. Only the rich can afford college.

Old 09-01-2023, 09:29 AM

34,114 posts, read 47,349,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovelyone777 View Post
One, what does Black Americans have to do with Africans. The same Africans you speak of are probably more successful than you in your own country.

Two, Have you been to every country in Africa ?
Probably thinks Africa is a country

Forum TOS: https://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 09-01-2023, 01:08 PM

14,235 posts, read 4,605,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovelyone777 View Post
One, what does Black Americans have to do with Africans. The same Africans you speak of are probably more successful than you in your own country.

Two, Have you been to every country in Africa ?
Elon Musk is the most successful African in the world
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies