Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2023, 12:33 PM

14,569 posts, read 12,232,301 times

Advertisements

Watch his full interview with Tucker Carlson on Twitter/X for the full context of this opinion.

https://twitter.com/TuckerCarlson/st...82708397863374
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2023, 12:34 PM

16,912 posts, read 10,623,328 times
Anyone who wants to volunteer to fight China in Taiwan can go right ahead. Keep the rest of us out of it.
Moderators for US and World Forums

Old 08-24-2023, 12:37 PM

76,971 posts, read 47,747,548 times
Quote:
Vivek Ramaswamy: U.S. should let China invade Taiwan if U.S. builds up enough manufacturing of domestic semiconductors
Did someone claim he said that?

I think the danger with his naive view on foreign policy is that he doesn't realize that handing Ukraine over to Russia would give green light to China to take Taiwan, and for Russia to take more of Europe. They would know US won't have their back (or anyone's back).

Old 08-24-2023, 12:42 PM

14,569 posts, read 12,232,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Did someone claim he said that?

I think the danger with his naive view on foreign policy is that he doesn't realize that handing Ukraine over to Russia would give green light to China to take Taiwan, and for Russia to take more of Europe. They would know US won't have their back (or anyone's back).

Watch his interview on Tucker's Twitter. It's an involved opinion.

Old 08-24-2023, 01:39 PM

76,971 posts, read 47,747,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana Holbrook View Post
Watch his interview on Tucker's Twitter. It's an involved opinion.
I searched for the quote and did not find it, and no one here can quote it, so I assume he didn't say it, or at least not in those words.

Old 08-24-2023, 01:48 PM

24,045 posts, read 15,157,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WK91 View Post
There is a sizable faction of Taiwanese who like mainland China and want to work more closely with them. Obviously, the majority favors independence, though.

But I’m not convinced that the Taiwanese are willing to die to save their independence. They might just begrudgingly accept it like Hong Kong did.

I’m also not convinced Japan and our other allies would be willing to support the war effort.

So based on all that, Vivek is right not to commit US troops until all factors are fully known.

Regardless of all of that, we need all our manufacturing brought home. We need to be completely self sufficient if the need arises.
Many years ago a Taiwanese gentleman was our houseguest for 6 weeks. It was his opinion as a 6th generation Taiwanese that his little plot was invaded by some Chinese. He was fine with it being part of China.

Old 08-24-2023, 01:49 PM

52,795 posts, read 34,700,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
I searched for the quote and did not find it, and no one here can quote it, so I assume he didn't say it, or at least not in those words.
same here. the link is gone and a search of vf doesn't locate it.

edit - from another leftwing source:

Quote:
Ramaswamy told conservative radio host Hugh Hewitt on Monday that he wanted to move to “strategic clarity” on Taiwan. He argued that China only wants to invade Taiwan for two reasons: to control the semiconductor industry and to resolve the Chinese civil war.

Ramaswamy said, “Do not mess with Taiwan before 2028, before the end of my first term,” when he believes he can achieve semiconductor independence in the U.S.

Old 08-24-2023, 05:26 PM

30,273 posts, read 11,895,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roboteer View Post
Did Ramaswamy actually say these things? And did he mean them the way they're being presented here? Or is this some far-left exaggeration designed to smear Ramaswamy and fool people into believing he actually believes this stuff?

------------------------------------

https://www.vanityfair.com/news/2023...l-debate-night

Vivek Ramaswamy Touched the Third Rail on Israel. He’s Surely Going to Hear About It on Debate Night
The rising Republican candidate suggested an eventual end to US military aid to Israel, prompting a strong rebuke from conservatives, including competitor Nikki Haley.

by Caleb Ecarma
August 22, 2023

Vivek Ramaswamy ... running as an “America First” crusader isn’t shying away from controversy in the Republican field, especially when it comes to foreign policy. The candidate has suggested he would allow China to invade Taiwan, as long as the United States has its own independent supply of semiconductors by 2028.

And he proposed an appeasement plan for Vladimir Putin that would cede parts of the Donbas region to Russia and prevent Ukraine from joining NATO. And now, ahead of the Wednesday debate, Ramaswamy has touched on an even bigger third rail in conservative American politics: proposing an eventual end to military aid to Israel.

“If we’re successful, the true mark of success for the US, and for Israel, will be to get to a 2028 where Israel is so strongly standing on its own two feet, integrated into the economic and security infrastructure of the rest of the Middle East, that it will not require and be dependent on that same level of historical aid or commitment from the US,” Ramaswamy told the Washington Free Beacon on Saturday.
I am conservative especially on foreign policy. To be fair you have to listen to all of what Vivek said about these issues. To pick out one sentence and try to smear him is not cool.

We need to do what is our best interest regarding Taiwan. And right now its getting semiconductor production going. You want us to go to war with China to defend Taiwan? Taiwan is China's problem. And our official policy now is one china. Meaning China can do what it wants regarding Taiwan.

I am fine with us not giving $1 in foreign aid to any country. Not until our house is in order. And unless you want a war to go on forever in Ukraine. Both sides need to concede. That is pretty obvious.

Old 08-24-2023, 05:41 PM

17,375 posts, read 11,346,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oklazona Bound View Post
I am conservative especially on foreign policy. To be fair you have to listen to all of what Vivek said about these issues. To pick out one sentence and try to smear him is not cool.

We need to do what is our best interest regarding Taiwan. And right now its getting semiconductor production going. You want us to go to war with China to defend Taiwan? Taiwan is China's problem. And our official policy now is one china. Meaning China can do what it wants regarding Taiwan.

I am fine with us not giving $1 in foreign aid to any country. Not until our house is in order. And unless you want a war to go on forever in Ukraine. Both sides need to concede. That is pretty obvious.
Exactly correct. He's already chastised CNN for taking a tiny snippet out of an hour interview and taking it out of context regarding Taiwan. He made the CNN reporter/host with a snarky little smile, look pretty stupid when he was done.

This will be the biggest problem he'll face. As long as these debates are 30 second sound bites with people talking over him, he has little chance of explaining his positions and why he holds those positions.

Old 08-24-2023, 09:22 PM

13,682 posts, read 4,975,082 times
China could invade Taiwan any time they want. No way are we going to war to stop it, regardless of any semiconductor factories. At best we’d do like we’re doing for Ukraine: send weapons and put sanctions on China.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies