Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2023, 07:44 AM

21,474 posts, read 10,575,891 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by odinloki1 View Post
Because we can’t do prevention like every other country in the world and just have fewer guns.
You're right, we can't. Get with reality and realize the guns are not going away. They have lots of gun laws in Mexico but that just means the cartels terrorize innocent people. The guns are not going away. We have too much organized crime and a black market. The other countries that did it never had that many guns to begin with but it's starting to change there as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2023, 07:45 AM

29,483 posts, read 14,650,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katygirl68 View Post
You're right, we can't. Get with reality and realize the guns are not going away. They have lots of gun laws in Mexico but that just means the cartels terrorize innocent people. The guns are not going away. We have too much organized crime and a black market. The other countries that did it never had that many guns to begin with but it's starting to change there as well.
Exactly.

Old 11-04-2023, 07:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
The U.S. government (yes, at the federal level first and foremost) systemically destroyed America’s inner cities by creating an illegal drug industry and paired it with a prison industry centered around those urban cores. LBJ’s Great Society was the first shot across the bow and it was soon joined by Nixon’s War on Drugs. Destabilize, infiltrate, and destroy. And that’s what they did and the results have been a disaster for the past 55 or so years.

Neither party, on any level, has come close to admitting this reality nor is is either party interested in solving the problem. You can deride the Democrats all you want (and rightfully so) but Republicans accept the paradigm because they too benefit from the Drug War and Prison Industrial Complex…just not at the ballot box in heavily black cities.

And truth be told, they can’t alienate their voter base either. On the practical side, if a Republican runs on the local or county level focusing mostly on crime, urban blight, and infrastructure the suburban/rural (whiter, more conservative, wealthier) populace would scratch their heads. Why is this guy running on that platform?
So what's your solution, just allow criminals free rein because we should eliminate prisons? Maybe carve out an area and create a penal colony where they can do whatever they want there but they can't leave? Or just allow a free for all in the cities?

Old 11-04-2023, 08:51 AM

19,718 posts, read 10,124,301 times
Many young black men grow up with the gun and drug culture. It is normal to them. They think that is the only way to live. There was a survey a few years back where most said that did not expect to live past 30. Through shootings and robberies they have run out all the jobs. Selling drugs is an easier way to make money anyway, until they get shot.

Old 11-04-2023, 08:53 AM

36,853 posts, read 17,360,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katygirl68 View Post
So what's your solution, just allow criminals free rein because we should eliminate prisons? Maybe carve out an area and create a penal colony where they can do whatever they want there but they can't leave? Or just allow a free for all in the cities?
I didn’t say I have a solution.

Obviously the only solution is to not partake in crime and live a moral life. On an individual level people must embrace this.

I’m only saying that not only is the State NOT going to help it’s the entity that fully incentivized and basically begged residents of America’s urban cores to live a crime-filled lifestyle. So when people talk about more prisons & fighting the futile war on drugs we all should know by now that’s not a winning strategy.

Old 11-04-2023, 09:09 AM

2,185 posts, read 1,382,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oklazona Bound View Post
Interesting idea.

One City’s Surprising Tactic to Reduce Gun Violence: Solving More Nonfatal Shootings

A Denver police unit started investigating all shootings like homicides. Now other cities are taking notice.
This is how it is in Europe. Escalating to guns is seen as very serious that's why even people who are armed typically avoid doing it. While in the US people brandish them over an argument at the pool.

Old 11-04-2023, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
I didn’t say I have a solution.

Obviously the only solution is to not partake in crime and live a moral life. On an individual level people must embrace this.

I’m only saying that not only is the State NOT going to help it’s the entity that fully incentivized and basically begged residents of America’s urban cores to live a crime-filled lifestyle. So when people talk about more prisons & fighting the futile war on drugs we all should know by now that’s not a winning strategy.
Whether it's a winning strategy or not doesn't mean we should let violent criminals roam the streets. I don't know what alternative we have now. That's just the unfortunate truth of it. I would think if we remove the criminal element from high crime areas we would help the children growing up in those areas so they don't become that way themselves.

Old 11-04-2023, 01:10 PM

8,336 posts, read 2,963,757 times
Dem cities investigating shootings. This is brilliant. We don’t have nearly the rate of shootings where I live. Like none. But we should consider it if we ever do have one.

Old 11-04-2023, 04:26 PM

73,012 posts, read 62,607,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pope of Greenwich Village View Post
Gee, I dunno…maybe they can just do what Giuliani did back in the 90s when he brought the murder rate from 3,000 per year down to statistically nil. But I guess that would be racist.
If you're talking about Stop and Frisk, it ended up being nothing but a racist way to violate the 4th Amendment. Most of those pulled over and frisked were not found to be doing anything wrong. And by the way, answer this question. Why should I be willing to give up my 4th Amendment rights?

Old 11-04-2023, 05:01 PM

78,409 posts, read 60,593,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabchuck View Post
Which makes it even worse. How can this country let such a small percentage of the population commit over half the violent crimes ?
Because as long as it's not a white cop, nobody gives a crap if they shoot the people that are involved in most of the annual killings in the US. You can literally go out tonight, shoot 6 black people (if you are black) in a dispute....will NOT make national news. This happens about every 2 days in the US give or take.

This is not meant as a condemnation of blacks but rather the harsh reality of the situation and the poverty and other issues that would need to be addressed as root causes.

But instead of addressing root causes, we break it down to the end result because well, where most of this occurs would be politically painful to incur and expensive.

So, we dance around the topic. Groups blaming other groups for non-root causes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies