Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2023, 05:07 PM

73,012 posts, read 62,607,656 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Because as long as it's not a white cop, nobody gives a crap if they shoot the people that are involved in most of the annual killings in the US. You can literally go out tonight, shoot 6 black people (if you are black) in a dispute....will NOT make national news. This happens about every 2 days in the US give or take.

This is not meant as a condemnation of blacks but rather the harsh reality of the situation and the poverty and other issues that would need to be addressed as root causes.

But instead of addressing root causes, we break it down to the end result because well, where most of this occurs would be politically painful to incur and expensive.

So, we dance around the topic. Groups blaming other groups for non-root causes.
To be honest, Black on Black murder has a long history of never being taken seriously. Black males have been America's #1 murder victim forever. Data from as far back as the 1950s can show this. Black murder rates were high in the 1950s, and they're still high today. If it was Black on Black, it was never taken seriously In 1950, it was viewed as "Oh well, that's one less N-word we have to deal with". Fast forward a few decades later it's not about that. Rather, it's about "Whatever happens in the ghetto stays in the ghetto". It's considered sad, but it's not close to home the way a school shooting would be.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2023, 05:15 PM

29,483 posts, read 14,650,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Because as long as it's not a white cop, nobody gives a crap if they shoot the people that are involved in most of the annual killings in the US. You can literally go out tonight, shoot 6 black people (if you are black) in a dispute....will NOT make national news. This happens about every 2 days in the US give or take.

This is not meant as a condemnation of blacks but rather the harsh reality of the situation and the poverty and other issues that would need to be addressed as root causes.

But instead of addressing root causes, we break it down to the end result because well, where most of this occurs would be politically painful to incur and expensive.

So, we dance around the topic. Groups blaming other groups for non-root causes.
I can't argue this. I started a thread the other day, 4 other mass shootings the same weekend of the Maine one. I think it got maybe a third of the replies here, and none of our resident anti gun posters replied. The media didn't even blather on about them. The difference being, handguns were used, and the shooters weren't white, which is the majority of our shootings in this country. But damn, its those AR15's though.

Old 11-04-2023, 05:18 PM

19,718 posts, read 10,124,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leona Valley View Post
Dem cities investigating shootings. This is brilliant. We don’t have nearly the rate of shootings where I live. Like none. But we should consider it if we ever do have one.
We have had 2 in my county in the last 10 years. And one was a homeowner shooting intruders who were high on meth.

Old 11-04-2023, 05:29 PM

18,739 posts, read 7,606,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oklazona Bound View Post
Interesting idea.

One City’s Surprising Tactic to Reduce Gun Violence: Solving More Nonfatal Shootings

A Denver police unit started investigating all shootings like homicides. Now other cities are taking notice.
You mean they are actually going after the people who are pulling the triggers???

What a novel and different approach to the usual "restrict everybody's gun in hopes of catching a few people who are actually guilty".

Never thought I'd see the day.....

Old 11-04-2023, 05:38 PM

13,734 posts, read 7,999,139 times
This fellow is certainly fed-up...

Quote:
The Black Activist Trying to Save Oakland from ‘Phony’ Woke Progressives

...Oakland now has the state’s second-worst 911 response time. Residents say they have waited 10 minutes before anyone even picked up the phone. Meanwhile, the number of homicides that result in charges has dropped from 65 percent in 2019 to 36 percent in 2022.

“Anyone who has the ability is making an exit plan,” said Scott. “Like, you’re in a country going to war soon and people are looking at it like, how do we get out? That’s what it feels like.”

..You might think a black activist and union organizer in the Bay Area would be a progressive who supports Black Lives Matter and defunding the police, but Scott rejects both movements. In fact, he says the defund debate is split along racial lines.

“The black people who live in the impacted neighborhoods were pretty much united in the fact that they did not want to cut the police budget,” he says. “The white people in affluent neighborhoods were pretty much united in that they did want to.”
https://www.thefp.com/p/black-activi...y-progressives

Old 11-04-2023, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabchuck View Post
I can't argue this. I started a thread the other day, 4 other mass shootings the same weekend of the Maine one. I think it got maybe a third of the replies here, and none of our resident anti gun posters replied. The media didn't even blather on about them. The difference being, handguns were used, and the shooters weren't white, which is the majority of our shootings in this country. But damn, its those AR15's though.
I will say what I think about this. This happened in Lewiston, Maine. This happened at a bowling alley/bar. This wasn't in the ghetto. Neither the shooter or the victims were Black. For this reason, so many people were caught off guard. When it's Black on Black murder, it's considered business as usual.

Old 11-04-2023, 07:30 PM

36,853 posts, read 17,360,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katygirl68 View Post
Whether it's a winning strategy or not doesn't mean we should let violent criminals roam the streets. I don't know what alternative we have now. That's just the unfortunate truth of it. I would think if we remove the criminal element from high crime areas we would help the children growing up in those areas so they don't become that way themselves.
I just don’t go into the ghetto. That’s my personal solution.

So many conservatives/Republicans like to bang the “Democrat-led cities are crime ridden” drum but why? Is it out of concern for those folks?

Hardly.

It’s for political points. Dem cities are crime-ridden albatrosses. Don’t vote for them here or you’ll be living like a prisoner in your own home.

And the Democrats who run those cities care about the folks inside because they’re on the ground and win elections? Really? I saw these sociopaths operate firsthand while growing up in the ghetto. They’ve had since LBJ (roughly) to right the ship. And the results? I deal with many elite California Dems/liberals through my business now as a well-off adult.

They’re all megalomaniacs.

Be an individual. Stand up for yourself. Have a moral compass. Navigate the system and make a life for yourself. No one is coming to save you.

Old 11-04-2023, 07:32 PM

29,483 posts, read 14,650,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
I will say what I think about this. This happened in Lewiston, Maine. This happened at a bowling alley/bar. This wasn't in the ghetto. Neither the shooter or the victims were Black. For this reason, so many people were caught off guard. When it's Black on Black murder, it's considered business as usual.
Ybor City, and Texarkana Tx, two out of the four places aren't ghettos.

Old 11-04-2023, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabchuck View Post
Ybor City, and Texarkana Tx, two out of the four places aren't ghettos.
My point is that when it happens in the ghetto and it's Black on Black, it's considered normal.

Old 11-04-2023, 07:38 PM

19,718 posts, read 10,124,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
I just don’t go into the ghetto. That’s my personal solution.

So many conservatives/Republicans like to bang the “Democrat-led cities are crime ridden” drum but why? Is it out of concern for those folks?

Hardly.

It’s for political points. Dem cities are crime-ridden albatrosses. Don’t vote for them here or you’ll be living like a prisoner in your own home.

And the Democrats who run those cities care about the folks inside because they’re on the ground and win elections? Really? I saw these sociopaths operate firsthand while growing up in the ghetto. They’ve had since LBJ (roughly) to right the ship. And the results? I deal with many elite California Dems/liberals through my business now as a well-off adult.

They’re all megalomaniacs.

Be an individual. Stand up for yourself. Have a moral compass. Navigate the system and make a life for yourself. No one is coming to save you.
When I was young and stupid and hungry, I signed a contract requiring me to work in the ghetto. I have not been back since. One of the apt complexes that I worked in was so dangerous, the Post Office would not even deliver mail there. Twice in the months that I worked there, I had to pull a gun. Thankfully, I never had to use it.
Last time I was in the KC area, in Blue Springs ( a very clean up to date small city) a cop drove into the park where we were eating and told us to be out of there by dark because it was not safe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies