Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2024, 12:18 PM

11,418 posts, read 5,967,061 times

Advertisements

The abiotic theory of oil formation has not been proved but is compelling and plausible. The theory is that the earth produces oil simply through high heat and pressure in the earth's mantle, which then floats up through the crust to the surface. No biomass needed. The oil carbon chains simply form from heat and pressure.

Scientists swear that oil has to have come from biomass, yet have no problem with the fact that diamonds do not come from biomass. If the earth could make diamonds from raw carbon that was never in a living creature, then wny not oil and coal as well? Nope! Only diamonds can form from raw Carbon atoms.

I don't pretend to know the answer but I am very open minded to the idea that oil and coal are "renewable resources" that the earth is constantly making on its own, with no middle man from dinosaurs or other biomass.

Why not? What is so radical about the possibility they form straight from the earth the way diamonds do?

Old 01-16-2024, 12:40 PM

15,054 posts, read 8,624,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Igor Blevin View Post
The abiotic theory of oil formation has not been proved but is compelling and plausible. The theory is that the earth produces oil simply through high heat and pressure in the earth's mantle, which then floats up through the crust to the surface. No biomass needed. The oil carbon chains simply form from heat and pressure.

Scientists swear that oil has to have come from biomass, yet have no problem with the fact that diamonds do not come from biomass. If the earth could make diamonds from raw carbon that was never in a living creature, then wny not oil and coal as well? Nope! Only diamonds can form from raw Carbon atoms.

I don't pretend to know the answer but I am very open minded to the idea that oil and coal are "renewable resources" that the earth is constantly making on its own, with no middle man from dinosaurs or other biomass.

Why not? What is so radical about the possibility they form straight from the earth the way diamonds do?
The left’s agenda is very clear, and there is no effort at all to hide their goal of outlawing the use of coal, oil and gas, in exchange for the alleged more earth friendly energy sources like solar and wind.

So, there is a multi angle approach to convincing people to accept this radical transformation, from the phony CO2 climate change angle, to the peak oil scam that insists that oil reserves are a finite source that is being depleted, which will eventually run out and force us toward alternatives.

It’s all part of the larger agenda of depopulation, because energy is the lifeblood of modern civilization, and they know current demand cannot be accommodated by “renewable” energy. So, if you eliminate oil, coal and gas usage, there will be devastating impact on global populations, which is the end game.

Old 01-16-2024, 02:06 PM

4,232 posts, read 2,454,960 times
If abiotic oil theory were true, we would see old, long depleted oil fields refilling themselves. So far, no such thing has been observed.

Old 01-16-2024, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taggerung View Post
If abiotic oil theory were true, we would see old, long depleted oil fields refilling themselves. So far, no such thing has been observed.
First, I can’t imagine why you would reach such a conclusion with obvious holes, given that we’ve only been drilling oil wells for a brief period of time. Would it not occur to that it might take 500 years for abiotic oil to make its way back into the old reservoirs? Especially since you believe the oil we have now took billions of years of decaying bio matter?

A word of wisdom for you … god gave you two ears and one mouth for a reason. And, just because you don’t know something doesn’t mean very much, because there seems to be a lot you don’t know, and I suspect I know why that is.

The following is more news you can ignore, nevertheless, this is just one article from 2009 …. 15 years ago, so it’s not like this is breaking news .. even though it seems to be breaking news to you.

Deep underwater, and deeper underground, scientists see surprising hints that gas and oil deposits can be replenished, filling up again, sometimes rapidly.

Although it sounds too good to be true, increasing evidence from the Gulf of Mexico suggests that some old oil fields are being refilled by petroleum surging up from deep below, scientists report. That may mean that current estimates of oil and gas abundance are far too low.

Recent measurements in a major oil field show "that the fluids were changing over time; that very light oil and gas were being injected from below, even as the producing (oil pumping) was going on," said chemical oceanographer Mahlon Kennicutt. "They are refilling as we speak. But whether this is a worldwide phenomenon, we don’t know."

https://www.heraldnet.com/news/some-...replenishment/

Last edited by GuyNTexas; 01-16-2024 at 03:44 PM..

Old 01-16-2024, 03:40 PM

15,407 posts, read 7,468,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyNTexas View Post
First of all, you don’t know that, and it’s just hot air to make some claim about minuscule amounts of abiotic oil.

Secondly, “Lakes” of oil is simply a euphemism for pools, or fields, or reservoirs, which all describe a large volume of oil sequestered in pockets surrounded by impermeable rock. So, unless you reject the existence of massive oil fields containing billions of barrels of oil, then that is hot air also.

Thirdly, you have no idea what you are talking about, and wherever you got this nonsense about oil sourced from ocean floor sediment, you should have the basic common sense to immediately understand how ridiculous that is, based on the extreme depths of the oceans, which exceed the onshore oil reservoirs by 20,000 to 30,000 feet.

One of the big clues that oil emerges from inside the earth, as opposed to some process occurring on the surface and seeping down through thousands of feet of rock, is PRESSURE.
I know what I am talking about. My family has been working in the oil business for over 100 years. My Dad and his younger brother were exploration geophysicists. I've spent 35 years working with geoscientists, reservoir engineers, drillers, and every other type of professional.

Oil is not "sequestered in pockets" except in some carbonate reservoirs with vuggy porosity, which means there are larger cavities in the rock, unlike sandstone where the oil is interspersed through the rock, like these cores from a Bakken well https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Core_s...akken_Core.JPG

The Permian basin was once a shallow sea with huge coral reefs. Not all oceans are deep everywhere. Oil generally forms in continental shelf areas.

The general process is that tiny creatures, like plankton, die and settle on the bottom of the ocean. Over time, those layers of organic material are covered by sediment carried by rivers and ocean currents. Those sediments build up very thick layers, thousands of feet thick, and apply heat and pressure, which transforms the organic material into oil and gas. The oil and gas migrate through the porous rocks until trapped by a non-porous rock. That's where the oil is found. Oil isn't made on the surface.

Old 01-16-2024, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WRM20 View Post
I know what I am talking about. My family has been working in the oil business for over 100 years. My Dad and his younger brother were exploration geophysicists. I've spent 35 years working with geoscientists, reservoir engineers, drillers, and every other type of professional.

Oil is not "sequestered in pockets" except in some carbonate reservoirs with vuggy porosity, which means there are larger cavities in the rock, unlike sandstone where the oil is interspersed through the rock, like these cores from a Bakken well https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Core_s...akken_Core.JPG

The Permian basin was once a shallow sea with huge coral reefs. Not all oceans are deep everywhere. Oil generally forms in continental shelf areas.

The general process is that tiny creatures, like plankton, die and settle on the bottom of the ocean. Over time, those layers of organic material are covered by sediment carried by rivers and ocean currents. Those sediments build up very thick layers, thousands of feet thick, and apply heat and pressure, which transforms the organic material into oil and gas. The oil and gas migrate through the porous rocks until trapped by a non-porous rock. That's where the oil is found. Oil isn't made on the surface.
You know exactly what you’ve been taught to know, and nothing more. And that’s it! I don’t care if your great grand daddy invented the modern oil well. All you think you know is what you have been taught by someone else. And guess what, it’s just as possible that what you were taught was pure nonsense as anything purely factual, because that’s true of everything, and that applies to any subject .. there are two possibilities insofar as what anyone claims about anything … it’s either true or false, and a 50-50 proposition without the support of hard, irrefutable evidence. And no such evidence exists with regard to the petroleum debate. That’s why there is a debate. If irrefutable evidence existed as to the nature and origin of oil and gas, that would naturally end the debate. There is only consensus opinions, which is simply a group who choose to believe the same things.

When it comes to modern science however, those 50-50 odds decline dramatically, given the plethora of fallacies promoted by modern science in this day and age.

Vegas odds would suggest you’d come out slightly to moderately in the black if you consistently bet against modern scientific dogma.

Last edited by GuyNTexas; 01-16-2024 at 04:45 PM..

Old 01-16-2024, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WRM20 View Post
There's no hydrogen to make oil and gas from the carbon found where diamonds are sourced. Oil and gas are HYDROcarbons, they have hydrogen atoms in the molecules.

There is zero proof that the Earth is making oil or gas without organic matter.
Excuse me? Am I actually reading this right? I would suggest you rethink your statement, because 70% of the planet is 2 parts Hydrogen, 1 part Oxygen…. We call it water. That means we have more hydrogen on earth than anything else

Actually, it’s way more than 70%, since the human body is 60% water, all animals are similarly composed, and there is moisture to be found EVERYWHERE … vegetation …. dirt … rocks …… even in coal, which is composed of carbon, hydrogen, sulfur, oxygen and nitrogen.

Last edited by GuyNTexas; 01-16-2024 at 04:28 PM..

Old 01-16-2024, 08:21 PM

10,828 posts, read 4,513,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyNTexas View Post
Excuse me? Am I actually reading this right? I would suggest you rethink your statement, because 70% of the planet is 2 parts Hydrogen, 1 part Oxygen…. We call it water. That means we have more hydrogen on earth than anything else

Actually, it’s way more than 70%, since the human body is 60% water, all animals are similarly composed, and there is moisture to be found EVERYWHERE … vegetation …. dirt … rocks …… even in coal, which is composed of carbon, hydrogen, sulfur, oxygen and nitrogen.

Hydrogen is 75% of the composition of the universe. ('cept where the romulans live...)

when the hydrogen is 'trapped' in water, its really very easy to separate the two...some might even call it a fuel cell.

Old 01-16-2024, 09:51 PM

15,407 posts, read 7,468,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RetireinPA View Post
actually, we are and have been. as we have extracted - whatever - from the rock and close off a well, we are finding the wells are able to produce again many years later. I have known this for many decades from all my 'wildcatting' neighbors (I live on the edge of the anf and not too far from... (insert birthplace of oil here) - so I have interesting neighbors.

quoting, get this, "science daily' we find

and if you google it yourself, you will find many of the same
No oil or gas well produces all of the oil or gas in a formation. The best recovery factor is around 50%. When wells are shut in or plugged, the oil remining in the formation will tend to migrate to the highest points in the formation, just as it did before the wells were drilled. Give enough time, and reopening a well may result in good production for some period of time.

Old 01-17-2024, 08:13 AM

78,345 posts, read 60,539,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RetireinPA View Post
isnt oxygen the most abundant element ON earth?
By mass it is about half, so yes.

The sun however is over 90% hydrogen and represents 99% of the mass in the solar system.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies