Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-07-2024, 10:47 AM

30,369 posts, read 19,162,886 times

Advertisements

As a retiree, I'm most affected by the stock market and inflation. The last few years inflation has beaten the stock market, no bueno para mi.

Old 02-07-2024, 10:49 AM

21,932 posts, read 9,503,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
This is my personal observation as well. It doesn't matter what how strong the economic indicators are, or how well individuals are doing, because people are still mired in pessimism and negativity. Just read the commentary on this social media site. The below line in the article seems to explain that its not about the economy, but about the division we see in the US, and it seems we are looking at that getting far worse after Nov 20.

"They’re not feeling one country. They’re feeling a divisive, divided United States of America.”

United we stand, divided we fall. So true, which is why I was really hoping for Haley to win, but it doesn't seem like its going to happen.

Other reasons for the negativity and pessimism? Open FOX, and watch for 30 mins, and you'll come out thinking the world is about to end. You'll see 100% negative reporting. They have a story to sell, and the story is "everything sucks".

Why Americans Are So Down on a Strong Economy - Wall Street Journal
https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/mark...b98bf548&ei=36
Clayton Wiles, a truck driver in North Carolina, earns about 20% more than three years ago. Kristine Funck, a nurse in Ohio, has won steady pay raises, built retirement savings and owns her home. Alfredo Arguello, who opened a restaurant outside Nashville when the pandemic hit, now owns a second one and employs close to 50 people.

But ask any of them about the state of the American economy, and the same gloominess surfaces. “Unstable” is how Arguello describes it. Said Funck: “Even though I’m OK right now, there’s a sense it could all go away in a second.”

There’s a striking disconnect between the widely shared pessimism among Americans and measures that show the economy is actually robust. Consumers are spending briskly—behavior that suggests optimism, not retrenchment. Inflation has tempered. Unemployment has been below 4% for 24 straight months, the longest such stretch since the 1960s.
If the economy is so great, why is credit card debt at a record level? It might be great for the 1% because of the stock market.

Old 02-07-2024, 10:50 AM

89,014 posts, read 44,824,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
Oh shut up. How in the hell do you pretend groceries didn't go up?

Same for you.

ONE example:

Eggs used to be 69 cents for 12.

Now? Over $3.

You want to say WHAT about WHAT?

Oh, I know, you'll blame 'bird flu'.

Hamburger - used to be cheap.

Now? Over $5 for a fricken pound.

Cereal is up.

Milk is $3 more than it was 3 years ago, not the GD 1950s.

WTH is wrong with you people?
Store brand orange juice was $3.99/gallon. Now, it's $7.49. That's an 88% increase. Store brand butter... was $2.79 for 4 sticks (1 lb). Now, it's $4.29. A 54% increase. Just since 2021.

Old 02-07-2024, 10:50 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,629,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JenaS62 View Post
That's right. They are now having to use their credit cards to get necessities like food and gas.
And cars, iPhones, vacations and Gucci purses.

Average income in US $76,399, so let's not pretend people can't afford milk and eggs.

It all depends.......one day we blame the irresponsible consumer, and the next day we blame a politician. Whatever fits the narrative.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankNSense View Post
But that's the entire thing about this. The Media is portraying the economy as running along and doing great.
Is it? All I hear is gloom and doom, and when I come here I see everyone repeating the same.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnywhereElse View Post
Most don't, not sure who "us" is, maybe those that are supporting a POTUS that is part here, part in the world of the dead where he addresses people.
Nothing to do with the POTUS, althouth reading the comments here you would EVERYTHING is about the POTUS.

And I get it, people are scared to death, the "potus" might get credit of some things. One thing is clear: He lives rent free in peoples heads.

Old 02-07-2024, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.columbo View Post
LOL... Yep

Biden created one of the biggest turn around economies of the 21rst century --- (mind you, all he did was NOTHING) --- those jobs came back after COVID. Same jobs and less rights in the work place: ---- 'you take that worthless shot that increases your risk of Heart-attack or you're fired.'

Your Electric went up 50%, so did your home owners, food, car prices, consumer goods --- your effective wage increase was -10% --- your making less than 10% NOW post Biden.

AND your crime rate has increased, and government graft and corruption increased, Do we really have a 'Legit President' ??? --- seem like he can't even find his way off stage after blathering for 15 mins about his experience as a Truck Driver!

We hear you --- but the 1% can't.

They said he is only doing one event now and then. He needs 48 hours to recover from everything.

Old 02-07-2024, 10:53 AM

14,228 posts, read 4,593,980 times
Quote:
And cars, iPhones, vacations and Gucci purses.

Average income in US $76,399, so let's not pretend people can't afford milk and eggs.

It all depends.......one day we blame the irresponsible consumer, and the next day we blame a politician. Whatever fits the narrative.
Oh, so Americans just started over consuming and buying unnecessary consumer foods beginning of 2023?

Old 02-07-2024, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboyxjon View Post
So I read the Reddit sub for my city (Denver). And it’s full of entitled leftists complaining about the cost of living, the cost of rent, and the cost of real estate, the cost of food. Are you telling me that they are falling prey to propaganda and not experiencing these issues in their day-to-day lives?

I get it, the stock market is doing well and apparently folks who need a job should be able to find one, despite massive layoffs we’ve seen lately in the tech industry. But things aren’t great for some groups of people and I don’t think the group I mentioned here is watching conservative media. Instead, they’re shopping for groceries, shopping for apartments and comparing the monthly rent, shopping for car insurance while premiums are sky-high because of poor Democrat policy (we have lots of uninsured illegal alien drivers here, as well as a massive car theft problem due to botched Democrat Policy), shopping for groceries at still-elevated prices, etc etc.
No, but they call still think landlords, insurance companies, grocers...all got a massive attack of the greedies on Jan 20, 2021. I read those leftie boards, too.

Old 02-07-2024, 10:54 AM

11,474 posts, read 6,002,443 times
"Strong economy" resting on a flimsy foundation of government deficit expenditures and skyrocketing consumer debt.

We would be in a sharp recession if not for soaring debt. We went from FIRE economy to Gig economy to Debtors Prison economy.

Old 02-07-2024, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Correct. Florida housing market is among the least affordable in US, and Miami is #1 least affordable city. Inflation in FL is indeed worst in the nation. In a nation of 50 States, someone has to be fists and someone has to be last. Why?

Ummmm......ok. And? This is not about Biden.
That's because everyone wants to live in Florida. It's demand driven.

Old 02-07-2024, 11:03 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,629,107 times
Quote:
Oh shut up. How in the hell do you pretend groceries didn't go up?
I didn't say they didn't go up, I corrected the breathless screams about them going up three-fold. Its just nonsense.

Quote:
Eggs used to be 69 cents for 12.

Now? Over $3.
Price of eggs today is not $3.00, its $2.50.
The price was $3.00 in 2015.
The price was $4.80 a year ago, so maybe things are not as bad

The chart goes back to March 1980, but I don't see 69 cent eggs. Are you talking 1960s?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.