Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-07-2024, 02:33 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 7 days ago)

35,629 posts, read 17,968,125 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lycanmaster View Post
More than a third of consumers are so sick of inflation they're willing to risk a recession to get lower prices

https://www.businessinsider.com/cons...prices-2023-12

People are now starting to realize that this idea of ever-increasing inflation (which compounds BTW) is simply not sustainable long-term.
Thank you for this.

Of note:

"While the increases have slowed substantially in recent months, the prior years of elevated inflation are now baked into the cost of everything from food to furniture.

Household incomes have gone up too, but some common baskets of groceries now cost 25% more than they did before the pandemic, taking a lot of the wind out of those gains".

I sure feel vindicated. LOL.

Old 02-07-2024, 02:37 PM

161 posts, read 87,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
No, it didn't, - not even close.

No, it has decreased across the board.

Um....yes.

Thanks you for being a PRIME example of the negative mindset the article talks about. Not only are you negative, you actually exaggerate your negativity by pretending things are worse than they are. THIS is what the article is about.
Bahahahaha...

Food prices risen FASTEST IN 40 yrs!
https://www.bankrate.com/insurance/h...ng-statistics/

Gas prices continue to Rise!
https://www.weforum.org/agenda/2022/...g-price-rises/

Household costs have risen 23% in 2 yrs!
https://www.cnet.com/personal-financ...nterest-rates/

Prices increased 13.8 percent from January 2021 to October 2022, costing the average American household $747 last month alone.IN ----16% in some states!
https://www.cnbc.com/2023/04/14/char...ince-2021.html

https://www.jec.senate.gov/public/in...-november-2022

ETC., ETC., ETC. (all liberal sources) --- the reality is 'Inflation is much higher'

BUT hey --- you know better and 'we should all stop and listen to you!'

Old 02-07-2024, 02:46 PM

16,278 posts, read 10,414,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
I don't think they can keep up, anyway. State Farm sent me a notice they are requesting a 23% premium hike from the state. My raises haven't risen 23%, in fact I make less now than I did 15 years ago in the same field.

I also don't think it's just inflation. It's not inflation that makes TicketMaster or Stub Hub charge $105 in fees on a pair of hockey tickets, it's just greed. It's not inflation that makes parking at the stadium cost $45, it's greed.
Very good point. So many companies are raising their prices claiming inflation when their costs have not really gone up as much as their price increases. I know this from first hand experience from a small business owner.

Old 02-07-2024, 02:58 PM

76,971 posts, read 47,629,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.columbo View Post
Bahahahaha...

Food prices risen FASTEST IN 40 yrs!
https://www.bankrate.com/insurance/h...ng-statistics/

Gas prices continue to Rise!
https://www.weforum.org/agenda/2022/...g-price-rises/

Household costs have risen 23% in 2 yrs!
https://www.cnet.com/personal-financ...nterest-rates/

Prices increased 13.8 percent from January 2021 to October 2022, costing the average American household $747 last month alone.IN ----16% in some states!
https://www.cnbc.com/2023/04/14/char...ince-2021.html

https://www.jec.senate.gov/public/in...-november-2022

ETC., ETC., ETC. (all liberal sources) --- the reality is 'Inflation is much higher'

BUT hey --- you know better and 'we should all stop and listen to you!'

Apparently I did know better, and I appreciate you proving my point. You argued price of everything has gone up 50% and now you know it was not true

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinMtAiry View Post
Very good point. So many companies are raising their prices claiming inflation when their costs have not really gone up as much as their price increases. I know this from first hand experience from a small business owner.
Ticketmaster......that depends on the teams. You could buy Florida Panthers tickers for $19 back in the day when no one wanted to see them lose games, but now that they are an elite team, the stadium sells out and prices are higher. Same with Miami Dolphins. As for the Marlins.....not so much. They suck, so people can enjoy cheap baseball games.

Old 02-07-2024, 03:00 PM

14,949 posts, read 12,147,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboyxjon View Post
So this negative sentiment is the fault of Fox News?

Doncha know you're supposed to believe the spin and not your lying eyes?

Old 02-07-2024, 03:03 PM

3,080 posts, read 1,745,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
But the TicketMaster fees, the parking fees, $8.00 slice of pizza, that's all greed. ?
Here's the thing about TicketMaster specifically. It may be greed, but people apparently are still willing to pay those prices. If you think it's too high, you (the general you) could just not go to concerts. That's the beauty of free markets, people set the price, by paying the ticket. Food is a necessity, but concert tickets are not. I don't like that ticket prices are so high either (although I rarely go to concerts), but they are that high because people are still buying them. They'll drop when people decide they are too high.

Old 02-07-2024, 03:09 PM

3,566 posts, read 1,501,216 times
Quote:
Sorry to hear about your account shrinkage and rising credit card balance. Most of us have had better success.

Consider food stamps.
I'm glad you're doing well. But see that's the reason behind your thread's question. If the majority are not doing well, they won't believe the economy is doing "well" no matter what CNN and the WSJ say about economic indicators. If they're doing well, they will believe it.

Old 02-07-2024, 03:09 PM

9,507 posts, read 4,342,349 times
Quote:
My apologies.
Let's factor it in. In December 2023, inflation amounted to 3.4 percent, while wages grew by 5.2 percent. Happy? We are catching up on the purchasing power we lost when inflation was higher then wage growth. You might not like to hear it, but its true.

You didn't' read the article?

But wait, - there is more bad news: S&P 500 just hit a new record high, 4 points short of 5000.
Try reading my post again and answering the question I posed. Also, why are you babbling about the S&P 500? It's chump change compared to Dow Jones. Besides, stock market performance doesn't do much for the majority of folks who are most impacted by high food, housing, transportation, and education prices.

You insist on misrepresenting and/or cherry picking data in a vane attempt to justify your poor voting choices. Biden is a disaster and you know it. Nobody will think less of you if you just admit it.

Old 02-07-2024, 03:14 PM

3,080 posts, read 1,745,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaikikiWaves View Post
I'm glad you're doing well. But see that's the reason, if the majority are not doing well, they won't believe the economy is doing "well" no matter what CNN and the WSJ say about economic indicators. If they're doing well, they will believe it.
I'm doing fairly well and I still believe the economy is not good. Things have definitely softened and I can feel it, especially with regard to jobs in my field. The listings have fallen off as of late, and there have been more layoffs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by YourWakeUpCall View Post

You insist on misrepresenting and/or cherry picking data in a vane attempt to justify your poor voting choices. Biden is a disaster and you know it. Nobody will think less of you if you just admit it.

Actually some of us will in fact think more of him if he admits it.

Old 02-07-2024, 03:21 PM

76,971 posts, read 47,629,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YourWakeUpCall View Post
Try reading my post again and answering the question I posed.
It is answered in the article in the OP.

Quote:
Also, why are you babbling about the S&P 500? It's chump change compared to Dow Jones.
LOL. No, it doesn't work like that, but Dow Jones also his record highs at 38,677.36.

Quote:
Besides, stock market performance doesn't do much for the majority of folks who are most impacted by high food, housing, transportation, and education prices.
You might be surprised to learn that 60% of Americans own stock.

Quote:
Can you explain what my voting choices are and what any of this has anything to do with Biden? I'm a long time Ron Paul voter, ans I have made it clear that I want (and expect) Biden to not run for 2nd term. Somehow everything is all about politicians to people like you. Politicians won't deliver things to you, you need to make things happen for yourself opposed complaining and waiting for some politician to give you cheap milk an gas. Yes, I know Trump sent everyone money (trillions), but that's actually part of the problem. You should not hope for more of that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stablegenius View Post
Actually some of us will in fact think more of him if he admits it.
Already admitted, he has nothing to do with anything. I'll think more of you if you just admit he lives rent free in your head , which is why you utter his name with every breath you take.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.