Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2008, 04:23 PM

16,259 posts, read 24,774,755 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by baystater View Post
Well I like any business proposition. If the people ain't buying them, then the manufacture ain't going to make that product anymore. Look the price of gas right now it the biggest contributive factor to the current down trend in the some SUV. Also Trucks are taking a hit as well. Now if the price of gas does ever drop people will go back to these type of vehicles.

Look alot the American people didn't learn back in the 1970's that we should conserve our energy sources and alot will not learn from this time around. When things are good people think the sky's the limit and forget the problems of the past. When times are bad you typically hear this "What happen?" " I didn't expect this." "How did this happen?" Forgetting that we have been through something similar before.

Look maybe in the end gas won't drop and we will have no choice but to drop the big SUVs. But is it oil ever does go down. These things will be back on the roads again.
Paying $4 a gallon is almost worth seeing the demise of monster SUVs!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2008, 04:24 PM

20,169 posts, read 24,342,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
Paying $4 a gallon is almost worth seeing the demise of monster SUVs!
I wonder if paying $10 a gallon will kill off all the Corollas?

Old 06-04-2008, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
Here is the Toyota Landcruiser - worse gas mileage than the Hummer

http://www.fueleconomy.gov/***/sbs.htm (broken link)

Why aren't people like Kev condemning this vehicle?
Hopefully that one will dissappear too.

Old 06-04-2008, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeledaf View Post
I am second to none in my joy at watching symbols of ostentation, stupidity, and poor taste disappear from the scene.

May tattoos, subwoofers, and body-piercings soon follow the Hummer into obscurity.
Along with rap music and pants around the knees.

Old 06-04-2008, 04:30 PM

11,466 posts, read 19,358,545 times
why are people concerned with these vehicles? who cares if people buy them, if they can afford the gas more power to them.

Old 06-04-2008, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
Yes, but GM is considering dropping the Hummer.

GM to close 4 factories, may drop Hummer - Autos - MSNBC.com

See we didnt even need government to mandate that the Hummer be removed from the road to save fuel. Ahh yes, supply/demand at its best.
That was the actual article I meant to link to because I just heard the story today. I just copied the wrong window while researching it.

Old 06-04-2008, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by katzenfreund View Post
My point is exactly what I stated.
If there were no hummer or other gas guzzlers on the market demand would drop for oil and consequently the price would drop.

I guess your "modest minivan" falls under "other gas guzzler".
I doubt that. I had a Ford Expedition for 4 years and got rid of it when gas hit $3 and we now have a Honda Odyessy that does much better on gas than the Expedition did. They can say what they want about MPG but I know how often I have to buy gas.

Old 06-04-2008, 04:37 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,143,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
That was the actual article I meant to link to because I just heard the story today. I just copied the wrong window while researching it.
Yes, I briefly heard that they were thinking of closing down the Hummer plants also, it was a 5 second blip on a news story about the price of fuel.

Old 06-04-2008, 06:47 PM

8,231 posts, read 17,325,114 times
Hummers are particularly ugly, in my opinion. I'm happy to see them go.

Old 06-04-2008, 06:51 PM

8,231 posts, read 17,325,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
Actually - that law, allowed us to buy two new Volvo XC90's, and not only did the credits PAY for the vehicles but, the increased depreciation allowances and other issues put money in our pockets.
....and that's a good thing?

You didn't even send me, Jane Q. Taxpayer, a thank you note!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies