Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2024, 09:17 AM

16,559 posts, read 8,592,152 times

Advertisements

Naturally politicians are going to try and minimize their shortcomings and that alone is nothing new or surprising.
However crime is clearly on the rise in many urban areas almost all run by Democrats for decades, yet they are all saying the same thing, that crime is down.

I was watching this video where a man was killed on the subway, and in the report it said 11 days prior someone was killed on the subway and multiple people were shot.
Yet the head of the transit department said crime was down if February compared to last year. Aside from the fact the month is not over, how many killings/shooting occurred last February, as it had to be at least 3 if the guy was telling the truth.
I know NYC is a cesspool of crime, drugs, and degradation, but I didn't think multiple people get killed every month riding the subway.

One of the guys in the report said he lived in NY back when the crack epidemic was occurring, and things are worse today than ever. So how are these politicians bamboozling the people in these cities to not believe their own eyes and ears?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UMf4nUN1aMk
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2024, 09:19 AM

6,012 posts, read 2,836,906 times
To gaslight the public, so as not to affect their reelection chances. It's all about staying in power, no matter the cost.

Old 02-25-2024, 09:22 AM

2,821 posts, read 2,109,454 times
The majority of their base actually believes them without question.

Old 02-25-2024, 09:35 AM

23,866 posts, read 24,102,926 times
I think that violent crime actually is down but property crimes are way up. Haven't gone digging for the data myself but pretty sure based on what I've seen cited in the gun debates.

When politicians make claims like this, the words they use are very carefully chosen. Look at those words, not the overall message they're trying to send. Take them very literally, in other words, and you'll usually find qualifiers which limit the scope of what they're talking about to a single statistic. Find that and you'll find what they're referring to while they knowingly feed a completely different impression to the more casual observers.

Old 02-25-2024, 09:37 AM

22,182 posts, read 19,455,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vector1 View Post
Naturally politicians are going to try and minimize their shortcomings and that alone is nothing new or surprising.
However crime is clearly on the rise in many urban areas almost all run by Democrats for decades, yet they are all saying the same thing, that crime is down.

I was watching this video where a man was killed on the subway, and in the report it said 11 days prior someone was killed on the subway and multiple people were shot.
Yet the head of the transit department said crime was down if February compared to last year. Aside from the fact the month is not over, how many killings/shooting occurred last February, as it had to be at least 3 if the guy was telling the truth.
I know NYC is a cesspool of crime, drugs, and degradation, but I didn't think multiple people get killed every month riding the subway.

One of the guys in the report said he lived in NY back when the crack epidemic was occurring, and things are worse today than ever. So how are these politicians bamboozling the people in these cities to not believe their own eyes and ears?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UMf4nUN1aMk

Literally due to the fact crime is largely down. There were 386 murders in NYC in 2023, down over the past few years and down significantly from the peak in 1990.

Old 02-25-2024, 09:39 AM

23,970 posts, read 15,072,142 times
IIRC, crime statistics are kept by the FBI. But that is contingent on the information available from cities.

Harris county has a dashboard on the county website that tells all kinds of activity from the Sheriff, constables, courts. Arrest, bail, jail, all court activity is there. Bet most counties have the same info available.

if you don’t trust the mayors, do you trust the info they get from cops?

Old 02-25-2024, 09:44 AM

8,496 posts, read 4,555,950 times
The facts speak for themselves - per the FBI, crime is down in the USA:

https://www.fbi.gov/news/press-relea...ion-statistics

Old 02-25-2024, 09:49 AM

23,539 posts, read 17,216,356 times
Why? that is obvious.

How, is more relevant.

Creative statistics and redefining categories of crime. Cherry picking even that data.

Recall when Corey bookers' team claimed the newark murder rate was halted because of Spartacus's policies. Turned out Newark, NJ had an unbroken streak of a murder a month since the early 1960s. So in March of CB's term a murder was not yet recorded. Not that there wasn;t one, just had not been officially recorded. So based on one slight of hand of a N of !, booker tried to claim a success. Later under booker the murder rate rose to about 2 a week and Newark was claimed to be the carjacking capitol of the country. Those were tamer times.

Activist prosecutors help out by having felons plea down to misdemeanors so they can claim felonies/violent crimes are down.

Old 02-25-2024, 09:55 AM

18,468 posts, read 31,627,689 times
I live in NYC, I can tell you first hand, crime is NOT down.
Now, we have migrants, and they are adding to the crime.

How does Addams and Hochul NOT see this. How does Biden and Harris not see this.

The 4 of them must be living on another planet, one for the blind and deaf.
They are all living in fantasy land.

Crime here in NYC is in its peak.

I guess they don't watch the NY news, because it is everywhere here.

Morons, we have morons at the wheel.

but, I didn't vote for them.

Old 02-25-2024, 10:25 AM

4,511 posts, read 5,051,149 times
As the saying goes ; "If you can't dazzle 'em with brilliance, baffle 'em with B---S--- !
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies